Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 PM

387 posts, read 512,249 times

Advertisements

I can spend a lifetime shopping in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
^ Absolutely. Texas has great shopping and restaurants.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:31 PM

29 posts, read 20,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
^ Absolutely. Texas has great shopping and restaurants.
My ex wife moved from Houston to North Texas deciding to remain in
the latter after a visit because of the attitude the whole area has towards its retail. We shouldn't ptretend that the state is the same equal mush through and through. The way I see it, Houston retail amounts to the Houston Galleria surrounded by sixty thousand Bohemian strip centers.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:06 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of a poodle View Post
My ex wife moved from Houston to North Texas deciding to remain in
the latter after a visit because of the attitude the whole area has towards its retail. We shouldn't ptretend that the state is the same equal mush through and through. The way I see it, Houston retail amounts to the Houston Galleria surrounded by sixty thousand Bohemian strip centers.
I wouldn't move my company to Dallas because of the attitude the whole area has towards its office space. Houston's skyscrapers give the polished, professional look that impresses visiting clients. You can't beat the view from the 30th floor either, whether in the Energy Corridor or Downtown!

But you couldn't even bring yourself to mention the word Dallas!?! No wonder, Dallas these days is basically defined by Legacy Center in Frisco/Plano; sprawling suburban low-rise corporate campuses mixed in with residential subdivisions and commercial shopping areas on the edge of a swath of never, ending suburban sprawl bulldozing the unspoiled countryside as it goes further north to Oklahoma. It's the very definition of Bedroom Community! That's the "Dallas" that Toyota, State Farm, et al. were talking about, not the dying Downtown/Uptown area with the notorious Elm Place.

I'll take urban Houston Galleria over suburban Stonebriar any day! But Downtown Houston is currently being revamped to give an urban experience similar to Chicago's Magnificent Mile, so you might have to, at least, visit Downtown Houston to experience what you're missing in suburban Dallas.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I wouldn't move my company to Dallas because of the attitude the whole area has towards its office space. Houston's skyscrapers give the polished, professional look that impresses visiting clients. You can't beat the view from the 30th floor either, whether in the Energy Corridor or Downtown!

But you couldn't even bring yourself to mention the word Dallas!?! No wonder, Dallas these days is basically defined by Legacy Center in Frisco/Plano; sprawling suburban low-rise corporate campuses mixed in with residential subdivisions and commercial shopping areas on the edge of a swath of never, ending suburban sprawl bulldozing the unspoiled countryside as it goes further north to Oklahoma. It's the very definition of Bedroom Community! That's the "Dallas" that Toyota, State Farm, et al. were talking about, not the dying Downtown/Uptown area with the notorious Elm Place.

I'll take urban Houston Galleria over suburban Stonebriar any day! But Downtown Houston is currently being revamped to give an urban experience similar to Chicago's Magnificent Mile, so you might have to, at least, visit Downtown Houston to experience what you're missing in suburban Dallas.
Dying????? Uptown/Downtown is booming!

A few recent articles

Dallas office rents reach all-time high as companies head Uptown | | Dallas Morning News

Uptown Dallas office tower hits the market at expected record price | | Dallas Morning News

More cranes will soon be flying over Dallas' booming Uptown district | Dallas Morning News

Groundbreaking this morning for Uptown’s Union tower complex | | Dallas Morning News

Investors come to the rescue of stalled downtown Dallas skyscraper project | | Dallas Morning News

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...ct-tower.html/

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...er-plans.html/

Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Elm Place is still completely vacant? 6-7 years and counting. Not surprised since all those transplants want to be in Legacy these days. Too bad Legacy, not Downtown, is what defines Dallas these days! It still gives Dallas the perception of being an overgrown bedroom community.

Downtown Houston was doing well last decade and is still doing well this decade. 609 Main is almost finished and the tunnel system will be reconnected again. Has the disconnect in Dallas' tunnel been fixed yet?

I am suggesting to build a shopping mall on top of a mid-rise (probably high-rise by Dallas standards) in Downtown Houston after being inspired by Westfield's Century City in L.A. It's like I was doing my shopping on top of a skyscraper in DTLA and I can see the tops of the neighboring buildings. Very heavenly!!! The parking garage has these traffic lights on top of each space showing red--taken and green--vacant and have never seen anything like it before.

Caruso's Grove and Americana had that trolley thing and dancing water jet show. Why can't Texas have nice malls like L.A.?

Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Elm Place is still completely vacant? 6-7 years and counting. Not surprised since all those transplants want to be in Legacy these days. Too bad Legacy, not Downtown, is what defines Dallas these days! It still gives Dallas the perception of being an overgrown bedroom community.

Downtown Houston was doing well last decade and is still doing well this decade. 609 Main is almost finished and the tunnel system will be reconnected again. Has the disconnect in Dallas' tunnel been fixed yet?

I am suggesting to build a shopping mall on top of a mid-rise (probably high-rise by Dallas standards) in Downtown Houston after being inspired by Westfield's Century City in L.A. It's like I was doing my shopping on top of a skyscraper in DTLA and I can see the tops of the neighboring buildings. Very heavenly!!! The parking garage has these traffic lights on top of each space showing red--taken and green--vacant and have never seen anything like it before.

Caruso's Grove and Americana had that trolley thing and dancing water jet show. Why can't Texas have nice malls like L.A.?
Let's not derail this thread......

Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Often in Texas, the tendency is to say Texas when speaking of Dallas or Houston. The two cities are quite mutually exclusive of the other with nothing existing outside of their boundaries. So, just what does it mean to say that the state of Texas has wonderful shopping? Heck, the area of tge state of Texas is larger than the region of the Northeast and the state of Pennsylvania combined.

Pertaining to the comment I posted above, exactly! The city of Houston has long been distracted from the point of view of utilzing retail to anchor developments. Instead, strip centers get developed around abnormally erected skyscrapers built out in the rice fields of the suburbs.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I also appreciate the effort that this fellow puts into maintaining this thread. I just feel it needs establishing that Dallas has lots of shopping centers incubating future luxury stores. Inwood Village is well known for having lots of retail below the conscious while Preston Center is rising in prominence.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Because dancing water is wasteful and stupid would be the primary answer.

Quote:
The parking garage has these traffic lights on top of each space showing red--taken and green--vacant and have never seen anything like it before.
You must be describing that poorly, because a traffic light on top of a spot would be unnecessary - you can see if a spot is taken by looking at the car occupying it. But there are tons of lots around the US and even a few in Dallas which show available, unoccupied parking spaces on each floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas