Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,481,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Dallas: I’m cool because I blew 500 dollars at Neiman Marcus.
Austin: I’m cool because I blew 500 dollars at Urban Outfitters.
Houston: What is cool anyways?[/i]
Houston: Why are you spending $500 for a few pieces of clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 AM

439 posts, read 439,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, the downtown Neiman's has had sales decreased approaching double-digits over the last few years. The store needs a major remodel and better assortments. You really would think they'd be more proactive with FFT
literally moving in across the street. I wouldn't even choose to eat at the Zodiac Room anymore with FFT's T Room as an option.

The FFT store should be spectacular. Brian Bolke has always had such a great vision and bringing Taylor Tomasi-Hill and Nick Wooster (two international street style stars with mega industry credentials) on board this year was a blockbuster move. The McKinney store will close. FFT's Five & Ten store in HPV just converted to TTHxFFT with Taylor Tomasi-Hill curating an assortment of up and coming designers and broader price points. They are also opening a 2nd location in Houston's new River Oaks District.
Thanks for the information. And what about the emergence of Henderson Avenue into something more significant than a strip of bohemian retail? I marvel at how the corridor is bookended by two Trader Joe's with one located in Knox Park and another within Lower Greenville. The triangular area within the boundaries of McKinney Avenue, Henderson Avenue, and Ross Avenue has tremendous upside. Why is Trammel Crow considering constructing a Sams Store in the middle of it.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:36 PM

256 posts, read 475,489 times
Aēsop to open in Dallas' Northpark Center- Winter 2016

"Aesop was established in Melbourne in 1987. Our objective has always been to formulate skin, hair and body care products of the finest quality; we investigate widely to source plant-based and laboratory-made ingredients, and use only those with a proven record of safety and efficacy. In each of our unique stores, informed consultants are pleased to introduce our range and to guide your selections. Alongside our commercial activities, we explore and support the arts as an avenue through which to inspire, learn and communicate."

Old 09-14-2016, 03:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,426,237 times
:-) $500 seems like a pretty small budget for buying clothes at most of the places being discussed!

Different topic: the fancy shoppettes in Houston's ROD (River Oaks District) looked pretty empty when they started opening last winter. However, things **seem** to be picking up now, judging by the number of expensive cars parked in front of them.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM

256 posts, read 475,489 times
FENDI- Opening Dallas' Highland Park Village Spring 2017 (Previous Cole Haan Space)

Old 09-19-2016, 02:48 PM

19 posts, read 21,398 times
It appears Dallas has lost Thomas Pink, Tourneau, and Tourbillon. Combine that with the loss of Barney's, Saks, Debeers, Porsche Boutique, and Giorgio Armani, it appears Dallas is losing ground to Houston. Houston continues to maintain all we've lost in Dallas, while picking up quite a few we don't have in Dallas. It seems safe to say Houston is beginning to dominate the luxury space in Texas.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar1963 View Post
It appears Dallas has lost Thomas Pink, Tourneau, and Tourbillon. Combine that with the loss of Barney's, Saks, Debeers, Porsche Boutique, and Giorgio Armani, it appears Dallas is losing ground to Houston. Houston continues to maintain all we've lost in Dallas, while picking up quite a few we don't have in Dallas. It seems safe to say Houston is beginning to dominate the luxury space in Texas.
Safe to say? Give it a few years. North Texas, being a much larger regional market, is just now recovering from a blood bath. Houston has yet to go through such an adjustment.

Remember when it was safe to say that North Dallas had become the new luxury center of North Texas over the long established luxury shopping districts of central Dallas? Central Dallas had Highland Park Village, NorthPark Center, Preston Center, and The Miracle Mile (Inwood Village). In North Dallas, Prestonwood Town Center was anchored by a Neiman Marcus and a Lord & Taylor. Close by across the street, Sakowitz anchored its own shopping village. A mile and a half to the south, Valley View had a Bloomingdales while, another half mile to the west, the Dallas Galleria had a Saks Fifth Avenue.

Most of all that closed and much of it has been demolished.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM

I'm not sure I really agree with your logic but respect your right to express it. The reality of today is that Houston is getting luxury retail that Dallas isn't, and they're keeping luxury retail Dallas is losing. I'm not sure why that is. Even with an expansion of Highland Park Village or NorthPark, I doubt we're going to get back the luxury retailers we've lost any time soon. It just seems to me that Houston is getting more luxury retail and has shown a better ability to maintain what luxury retail they have.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar1963 View Post
I'm not sure I really agree with your logic but respect your right to express it. The reality of today is that Houston is getting luxury retail that Dallas isn't, and they're keeping luxury retail Dallas is losing. I'm not sure why that is. Even with an expansion of Highland Park Village or NorthPark, I doubt we're going to get back the luxury retailers we've lost any time soon. It just seems to me that Houston is getting more luxury retail and has shown a better ability to maintain what luxury retail they have.
In my opinion, Houston and Dallas don't compete. Highland Park Village doesn't compete with the River Oaks District or any other shopping store or district in Texas according to its owner Ray Washburne. Meanwhile, the River Oaks District is providing the Houston Galleria with competition it has never had. According to license plates of vehicles in its parking lot, Highland Park Village attracts regular customers from twenty-two surrounding states. Ray Washburne insists that if a store already has a shop at NorthPark, it won't be allowed to open open one in Highland Park Village.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM

Once again, I respect your point of view but disagree. My hope from the original post was to get perspective on why Houston is growing and maintaining luxury retail better than Dallas right now. Any thoughts out there on why Dallas isn't growing luxury retail as quickly and doesn't maintain it as well as Houston? Also any insight on true luxury retailers like Kiton, Chopard, John Lobb, or Van Cleef & Arpels that might be coming to Dallas would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas