Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

9,729 posts, read 6,348,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It only attracted those stores because it’s the best mall in Houston. That’s it...

How is my architecture claim bias? NorthPark Center is older than The Galleria but has NEVER needed to update its design. The same cannot be said for The Galleria. NorthPark’s modern design has lasted for over 50 years.

Notches below? C’mon now. I’ve never heard anyone say that NorthPark is notches below The Galleria. NorthPark is known for getting exclusive retailers. Please tell me what’s not average about The Galleria? It has kiosks and the design is of any typical super regional mall. If that’s not average then what is? On top of that, the design from the original and new newest part is mismatched...
It clearly is notches below if it is consistently being ranked lower. But neither the Galleria nor NortbPark are even the best malls in their city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM

19,489 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It clearly is notches below if it is consistently being ranked lower. But neither the Galleria nor NortbPark are even the best malls in their city.
What mall in Dallas/DFW is better than NorthPark?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM

6,620 posts, read 9,830,901 times
Quote:
You can’t be serious. You have yet to refute any one of my points. What’s the best mall in Dallas?

According to USA Today, NorthPark is the best mall in Texas. Those type of lists are subjective. That’s why I generally stick to architecture and design. You can rightfully judge architecture without a list....

https://www.usatoday.com/list/money/...-ffb90d9d8285/

Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Quote:
Are you counting Highland Park Village as a mall? Because that’s the only way any “mall” could be superior to NorthPark. It’s one of a handful of BILLION dollar revenue malls in the entire country with flagship Neiman’s and the highest grossing NM & Dillard’s units in their respective chains. Not to mention that from H&M to Valentino, from Sonic to Nordstrom’s cafe....there’s literally something for everyone there - plus a museum worthy art collection.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 PM

19,489 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Are you counting Highland Park Village as a mall? Because that’s the only way any “mall” could be superior to NorthPark. It’s one of a handful of BILLION dollar revenue malls in the entire country with flagship Neiman’s and the highest grossing NM & Dillard’s units in their respective chains. Not to mention that from H&M to Valentino, from Sonic to Nordstrom’s cafe....there’s literally something for everyone there - plus a museum worthy art collection.
I'd bet you a nickle that poster has never once set foot in NorthPark....just way too many utterly oblivious claims and statements.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,604,216 times
I haven't been in a mall in years and when I did go, it was like a ghost town.

I do frequent University Park Village and the Shops at Clearfork. I like the open concept with good restaurants nearby....

Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,172,438 times
Which one did you go to? Northpark is always busy when I go.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,295,758 times
They just did a major upgrade to the Galleria...

Quote:
The move represents a major coup for Simon, which has invested more than $300 million into Houston's top-performing mall as it faced mounting pressure from River Oaks District and Highland Village, competing luxury shopping centers on Westheimer. The Indianapolis-based company, the nation's largest mall owner, recently relocated the Saks Fifth Avenue into a new home on its sprawling Galleria campus and transformed its former space into four high-end restaurants and 35 shops.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...photo-11805219

Old 05-27-2019, 12:11 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Embarrassment?!!! Aren't you going a little too far? It is indeed smaller than the Houston one. But the Houston Galleria is not consistent in its look. It looks mix matched and confusing. Like they built 3 totally different malls right next each other and just thoughtlessly joined them together with some weird type of connection.The coolest thing about it is the newest wing with the ceiling fountain. Go read the reviews for Galleria Dallas. Probably 90% of people in general disagree with you. Its a VERY NICE mall.
I meant Dallas' version is an embarrassment compared to the original in Houston. It doesn't even deserve the name "Galleria" since the luxury stores are still in NorthPark.

The original in Houston now has a consistent look. Simon has been completely redone the floors and the rest of the design scheme. There is no more Saks dividing Galleria II and III.

The mall has been expanded several times due to its overwhelming success. The Dallas spinoff can't expand because of the lack of room. (Too bad Valley View didn't take over like MCM vs. T&C with it's larger footprint and slightly better location off-center from a freeway interchange) Expansions are not unusual--i.e. Del Amo in Torrance and South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.

(BTW Houston has had a ceiling fountain since the Galleria IV opened in 2003. It had been neglected later in the decade, but has been recently restored to working order.)

Quote:
Does The Galleria have an art collection? Does The Galleria have timeless midcentury modern architecture? Was The Galleria the first mall to be featured in Vogue? Was The Galleria named one of the seven retail wonders of the modern world? NO. That’s not hating, that’s facts.

The Galleria is the largest mall in Texas. That’s a great accomplishment, but that’s where it ends.
Modern/Contemporary art is really a West Coast/Southern Californian thing; Texans can barely think critically (i.e. Boston Tea Party Terrorism in the public school curriculum, thinking from the Communist Party official's POV, etc.). It's just not appreciated at all in Texas, especially with the concrete, traditionalist mindset which is opposite to the Californian abstract/West Coast iconoclasm.

NorthPark really needs an update. The third video with the Joske's mall entrance shows why. White brick has been passé for a few decades. White, small-veined marble has replaced it when spaces have been renovated.

Century City in Los Angeles recently finished the $1 billion rebuilding and it has been glowing in the reviews. Now it is starting to become Instagrammed to Hell because of the local-resident influencers and tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Galleria Dallas is not an embarrassment at all. It's still a nice mall and is actually improving. The new Apple store will be a big draw.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ap...506267111.html

Heard about the Willow Bend and Stonebriar Apple stores closed down and consolidated recently. Never would have imagined Houston eventually having more Apple store locations than DFW!

Quote:
NorthPark tries to be like the Houston Galleria? Since when? The Houston Galleria looks like any other average mall in America. There’s nothing particularly unique about it.
Houston's Galleria caters to all income-levels avoiding the uncomfortable conversation about disparity of wealth in 21st Century America.

If you want the average middle-class mall, MCM is probably the best example in Texas. It has a large market area, some of which touch parts of the most densely populated part of Texas. Even if Katy got it's own full price mall, it would still have a large draw of affluent and average shoppers because of the urban location. At the time it was built, it was a suburban mall but it eventually became an urban mall with the sprawl of Houston.

Ironically both are centrally located in Greater Houston, unlike NorthPark and Dallas Galleria. (North East is often ignored in discussions.)

Quote:
Marketing has nothing to do with that at all. There aren't many malls in America that look like NorthPark. Most malls are a hodgepodge of designs from separate owners, who didn't put much thought into them aesthetically. NorthPark is the opposite of that. You can tell they actually thought of every detail when it came to designing it.
Ever since the Tulleries addition enclosed the Louvre of NorthPark, it now has a courtyard with a former rear entrance weirdly still standing. The north wing looks radically different from the rest of the mall, especially containing the only two-storey section. The # layout is a poor imitation of South Coast Plaza's H-pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
While the Galleria in Houston has a lot of nice stores, there's just as many or more tacky/cheap stores you'd see at any suburban mall. And those kiosks are so annoying and junky.
I've been to Northbrook Court in the North Shore of Chicago. It reminded me of NorthPark with the exclusive stores and the dated overkill wood design on the second storey. It was definitely the mall of the rich; a big danger in the age of Amazon!

Quote:
Is the NorthPark Mall, ranked a top 10 Mall in any Travel or shopping magazine? No. The Galleria is ranked top 5 by most. This is not hating on NorthPark. NorhPark is a very very nice mall but it is notches below the Galleria.
South Coast Plaza attracts Chinese and international visitors, despite being 40 miles from LAX where the long-haul and Canadian flights land in SoCal. John Wayne's O.C. County Airport across the street has limited international service, short-hauls to Mexican coastal resort destinations--like the other SoCal secondary airports--for local residents. Yet these tourists could have gone to nearby world-famous Rodeo Drive instead and gave up the opportunity to shop in an indoor mall in suburban L.A.!

Houston Galleria is ranked with the likes of Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg with the number of shoppers and sales. The luxury stores in Chicago are clustered along the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Avenue (north of the river) and Oak Street. The only reason that Woodfield Mall is even in the rankings is that it's the closest indoor mall to Chicago proper (especially during the harsh winters in the Christmas shopping season) and the close proximity to O'Hare. Ironically it's more similar to MCM because it's full of middle-class stores.

Quote:
It only attracted those stores because it’s the best mall in Houston. That’s it...

How is my architecture claim bias? NorthPark Center is older than The Galleria but has NEVER needed to update its design. The same cannot be said for The Galleria. NorthPark’s modern design has lasted for over 50 years.

Notches below? C’mon now. I’ve never heard anyone say that NorthPark is notches below The Galleria. NorthPark is known for getting exclusive retailers. Please tell me what’s not average about The Galleria? It has kiosks and the design is of any typical super regional mall. If that’s not average then what is? On top of that, the design from the original and new newest part is mismatched...
Houston managed to score the first batch of Samsung Experience stores as the Middle America location (sorry NorthPark and Woodfield!). Oddly the Los Angeles location is in a Caruso mall, famous for trolleys in their lifestyle centers.

NorthPark managed to score Eataly. It remains to be seen if it will surpass the size of the Century City Eataly (the largest in the chain).

Texas doesn't have a comfortable climate even along the coast (or the aesthetic ability to pull off such a transformation) to build a comparable open-air mall to Century City, but Houston has been doing a good job in the enclosed with The Galleria and MCM.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,172,438 times
You’re really complaining about the white brick? I can see maybe complaining about the layout of Northpark but saying they should cover the classic white brick with marble because it’s trendy is just stupid. I guess they should completely update Fallingwater because it isn’t trendy either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas