Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I haven't been following this thread closely for awhile, but I'll jump in for nostalgia's sake. I'm a Houstonian who appreciates The Galleria for what it is. I also appreciate Northpark, although my impressions of it are mostly from the 70s when I spent a summer living in Dallas. At that time, Northpark impressed me by projecting a sense of restrained elegance. I'm not a shopping person, but I appreciate good architectural and interior design.

Fast-forward to today: the Houston Galleria is now a Simon Mall and they seem to have done OK with their minor extensions and redo's. I don't know how Northpark has evolved ... however (despite my Houston pride) I would expect that it has only gotten better because the market in Dallas probably commands higher performance from developers.
You realize this has changed dramatically in the last decade. This is a matter of competition. The Galleria was the only luxurious shopping center in Houston for a long time. It had no competition. Then other development happened. And then the River Oaks District happened. And more recently, the Woodlands is starting to get in on the action. The Galleria has to revamp some of its areas to keep up. Some stores left the Galleria for the District. This is why the new luxury wing in front of Saks opened. Developers in Houston do command higher performance from their developers now with the competition going on.

Dallas on the other hand has had competition for a long, and shopping areas have had to make themselves keep up in order to keep tenants attracted. The 2010-present developments in Houston have balanced out the shopping competition between the 2 cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Doesn't necessarily fit the topic but my favorite place to shop is the outlet malls in San Marcos! Got some great bargains there. LOL !!!

Old 05-19-2020, 06:24 PM

With the current retail recession, I wonder what will come in the near future. Houston and Dallas have obviously made so many strides over the past century, but it seems that we are turning to a new chapter in retail. Dallas was the shopping king pre-70s, then the Galleria opened. Then Dallas strides put it back on top. Then Houston's 2010s strides put Houston slightly ahead (at least from a luxury shopping stand point). Now, even San Antonio has chimed in with La Cantera. They even got a Breitling Boutique which is rare in general in USA, only other Texas location is in Houston.

Department stores seem to be a thing of the past now that they are all taking turns going bankrupt. All 3 major Texas based department stores (Neiman Marcus, JC Penny, and Stage/Gordmans stores) have filed or openly stated they're in the process of filing.

Makes you wonder what's to come. Houston and Dallas both being top 7 shopping cities in the USA, can they really both sustain being so close? Will department stores begin dissolving, and if so, will the trend of increasing popularity in flagship sotrefronts be enough to keep themselves open?

Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35KFT View Post
Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion.
Inquiring minds would like to know. LOL

Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35KFT View Post
Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion.
That one sentence is your trigger? I spoke positive about Dallas and you’re triggered by this sentence? But okay I’ll bite.

It’s really one thing. The absence of some of the biggest name stores in Dallas. Dallas lacks certain stores that are found in most luxury shopping destination including Houston. Particularly Prada, Rolex, Breitling, Moncler, Van Cleef and Choppard. There’s others but those are particularly big deals not to have. In fact, for Moncler, Dallas doesn’t even have a certified retailer for. So this is the first reason. And the second is for the retailers that do exist, the Houston counterpart is generally larger.

The reason Houston scores higher in stand alone stores could be because Dallas scores higher in department stores, the stand alone stores are preferred by shopping experience. Especially now. Also, before you bring up Dallas’ Rolex building, it has a service center, not an actual Rolex boutique. Why they would set up a service center and no boutique, don’t ask me.

Now, don’t make that post something it’s not. It’s about the future of retail, and I clearly stated Dallas as top 7 in the USA as well for a reason. From my observations they go in this order: NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Dallas. With Atlanta and SF being on the edge. It only sounds like an anti Dallas post just because an area that Houston excels more in is pointed out. Similarly, if someone says “Dallas has a more diverse economy” it’s not bashing Houston. It just is what it is.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:37 PM

256 posts, read 474,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That one sentence is your trigger? I spoke positive about Dallas and you’re triggered by this sentence? But okay I’ll bite.

It’s really one thing. The absence of some of the biggest name stores in Dallas. Dallas lacks certain stores that are found in most luxury shopping destination including Houston. Particularly Prada, Rolex, Breitling, Moncler, Van Cleef and Choppard. There’s others but those are particularly big deals not to have. In fact, for Moncler, Dallas doesn’t even have a certified retailer for. So this is the first reason. And the second is for the retailers that do exist, the Houston counterpart is generally larger.

Houston's Chopard boutique shuttered a while ago at the River Oaks District.

Dallas currently has Rolex & Van Cleef & Arpels opening boutiques soon at Highland Park Village.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsim View Post
Houston's Chopard boutique shuttered a while ago at the River Oaks District.

Dallas currently has Rolex & Van Cleef & Arpels opening boutiques soon at Highland Park Village.
That's good news especially Rolex. It's weird to have a service center but no boutique.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That's good news especially Rolex. It's weird to have a service center but no boutique.
...Did you even notice those lists that Jasonim posted in this thread?....Did you notice how much longer the Dallas list was?......Did you notice how many more exclusives that Dallas had over Houston?

In the past 10 years WHEN did Houston edge out Dallas in this category??

Did I miss something??

Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...Did you even notice those lists that Jasonim posted in this thread?....Did you notice how much longer the Dallas list was?......Did you notice how many more exclusives that Dallas had over Houston?

In the past 10 years WHEN did Houston edge out Dallas in this category??

Did I miss something??
Did you even go through the list? A big portion of Dallas "Texas exclusivities" are local brands (such as DLM Supply and BLDWN). Miami and Vegas don't have any of these local Dallas brands and they're superior to both. On top of that, it's an incomplete list. Not a knock on Jasonism, it would be extremely hard to keep up with 2 of the biggest retail market. Read the list before you comment.

But more importantly, the names Dallas misses are bigger than the name Houston misses. The biggest name Dallas has over Houston is Alexander McQueen. Dallas lacks Prada, Breitling, Moncler, etc. Even Kiton. It's also outdated, made in 2018 even more brands have moved in.

If you disagree on this point, there's nothing wrong with that. They're close enough to where you can as they're neck and neck. But instead of using "that list is longer" as your reason, give me actual reasoning. My reasoning Dallas missing the brands they do that Houston doesn't that you'd expect and the fact that the stores are generally larger in Houston.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 05-22-2020 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:40 PM

That being stated, it's definitely time for an update, OP.

In for Houston:

-Balenciaga
-Johnny Dang & Co
-Gianvito Rossi
-Golden Goose
-Panerai
-Pronovias
-Ba&SH
-FRAME
-Moreau
-Veronica Beard
-Luis Vuitton (second Houston location in Woodlands)
-Tom Ford moved to Galleria from ROD
-Akris moved to Galleria from ROD
-Jo Malone opened second location at Galleria

Closed in Houston

-Chopard
-St. Nichola

In for Dallas

-Golden Goose
-Rolex
-VAN CLEEF
-Zimermann
-Dolce & Gabbana
-Sandro
-Maje

Closed in Dallas:

-Dior Boutique
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas