Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2023, 06:29 PM

141 posts, read 42,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
You Dallas and Houston posters need to stop bickering and appreciate the abundance of retail, restaurants & overall top notch amenities you have in Texas. There is an embarrassment of offerings available in DFW and Houston alone, combined it’s ridiculous.

I know it’s C-D and all in fun, but just sayin’.
I do hope the thread doesn't get locked. I have a few other points I would like to make.
For example, Dallas has hundreds of small towns surrounding it that have the potential to become large suburbs. In contrast, Houston has fewer towns and more private unincorporated communities.
Also, the North Texas area is fast becoming the four cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, the area north of DFW Airport, and Plano / Frisco.
When I was a kid, downtown was the financial capital of the Southwest. Now there are four large financial districts (if you count Las Colinas and West Lake as in the same market.
There are lots of reasons why the Dallas and Houston markets differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 07:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,381,685 times
How else would this thread be useful if we didn't compare and contrast?..Thats the purpose of the thread.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:10 PM

People like texasTallest that changes their name to Spacecitytx hates to lose to Dallas so this debate COULD go on forever but My point has been made several times already.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
How else would this thread be useful if we didn't compare and contrast?..Thats the purpose of the thread.
People might visit Texas thinking Dallas is the energy capital of the world. This is because of the TV soap opera show called Dallas. In truth, this was never the case. I guess I could waste my time arguing the point though. Trying to compare the retail in Houston to that in Dallas is like trying to compare the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
There is a video of a woman reporter from Paris marveling about the amount of retail in Dallas. I'll try to look it up.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
People might visit Texas thinking Dallas is the energy capital of the world. This is because of the TV soap opera show called Dallas. In truth, this was never the case. I guess I could waste my time arguing the point though. Trying to compare the retail in Houston to that in Dallas is like trying to compare the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
There is a video of a woman reporter from Paris marveling about the amount of retail in Dallas. I'll try to look it up.
......I totally agree.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:53 PM

I often roll my eyes out from their sockets whenever I hear people saying that the luxury destination of Knox Street should get hooked up with some kind of mass transit. While mass transit kills luxury retail, luxury retail areas don't need the embellishment of mass transit. It really has to make a monkey wonder sometimes.

Question: Does Houston plan on embellishing its Galleria with some kind of mass transit?

Old 05-31-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I often roll my eyes out from their sockets whenever I hear people saying that the luxury destination of Knox Street should get hooked up with some kind of mass transit. While mass transit kills luxury retail, luxury retail areas don't need the embellishment of mass transit. It really has to make a monkey wonder sometimes.

Question: Does Houston plan on embellishing its Galleria with some kind of mass transit?
The Galleria in Houston is NOT a Luxury Mall.....It's just a BIG mall that everyone is obligated to go to.....there's nothing else worth visiting over it.....Hence the visitor numbers.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-31-2023 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-31-2023, 02:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 1,919,136 times
Quote:

It already has a BRT line and plenty of mass transit, and will be hooked into the Katy and Westpark lines in the future.

The idea that mass transit kills luxury retail is a misnomer of the highest order.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
It already has a BRT line and plenty of mass transit, and will be hooked into the Katy and Westpark lines in the future.

The idea that mass transit kills luxury retail is a misnomer of the highest order.
If something is already working, don't risk messing things up with a lot of overzealous additions like mass transit. Prestonwood Center in Dallas got wiped out by bus service. That area in and around Sharpstown got obliterated by the additions of bus service. My uncle wasn't very happy having to move out to Sugarland!!
And let's not even think about what happened to that other dead mall out in Greenspoint.
Put transit where it enhances neighborhoods and not where it doesn't.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:06 PM

2,966 posts, read 1,919,136 times
Quote:
If something is already working, don't risk messing things up with a lot of overzealous additions like mass transit. Prestonwood Center in Dallas got wiped out by bus service. That area in and around Sharpstown got obliterated by the additions of bus service. My uncle wasn't very happy having to move out to Sugarland!!
And let's not even think about what happened to that other dead mall out in Greenspoint.
Put transit where it enhances neighborhoods and not where it doesn't.
All of the dense areas in Houston are served by bus at the very least and its not a big deal. The rub is how its done. The Silver Line BRT on Post Oak was done very well, but needs to be better connected to other parts of the system to really reach its potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas