Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2023, 08:07 PM

141 posts, read 45,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The Galleria in Houston is NOT a Luxury Mall.....It's just a BIG mall that everyone is obligated to go to.....there's nothing else worth visiting over it.....Hence the visitor numbers.
Yes that is true. I forgot about that. Malls are too big to be 100% luxury retail, but they can be iconic. I once visited Greenspoint Mall north out in that once pretty area before it all erupted noisily into constant gunfire. It had so much potential that Nasher of Northpark Center fame built a shopping Center to the west from it across I-45.
Sad.
There was a time when Sharpstown looked pretty spiffy. People have forgetten about that once nice mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 08:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
If something is already working, don't risk messing things up with a lot of overzealous additions like mass transit. Prestonwood Center in Dallas got wiped out by bus service. That area in and around Sharpstown got obliterated by the additions of bus service. My uncle wasn't very happy having to move out to Sugarland!!
And let's not even think about what happened to that other dead mall out in Greenspoint.
Put transit where it enhances neighborhoods and not where it doesn't.
You lost some credibility there with that inquiry.

If you don’t know that the galleria area is one of the biggest crossroads for public transit in Houston then you are not qualified to attack it. The Galleria is just as easily to get to by bus as downtown Houston.

It has phenomenal assess to public transit. Maybe even better access than to downtown Houston.
Back in the day you could catch 24 hour bus service on the Westheimer busses.

Metro has always had service to the galleria. If you don’t know that metro busiest bus lines service the galleria then you really don't know much about the system.

Why do you think urbanophiles in Houston has been wanting the University line so bad? The rail would have the highest ridership in the state instantly. It would connect Midtown/ Downtown Houston with the galleria via a densely populated 5 mile strip. A strip that has busses running pretty frequently during the day and running for long periods of the day.

Unfortunately the southwest has gotten pricey so the population has pushed further west. But all these new apartments that priced out the population and forced the population west are passed 10 years and old stripes are continuing to disappear in favor of 4-8 story apartments. So the complexes that drove lower income folks west will definitely need to lower prices to compete with the newer builds.

Mass transit combined with lots of housing in various price points is a perfect recipe for good ridership numbers. Lower Westheimer is already unrecognizable, but they won't ever build rail that ran very far on Westheimer. The best case scenario was Westpark.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You lost some credibility there with that inquiry.

If you don’t know that the galleria area is one of the biggest crossroads for public transit in Houston then you are not qualified to attack it. The Galleria is just as easily to get to by bus as downtown Houston.

It has phenomenal assess to public transit. Maybe even better access than to downtown Houston.
Back in the day you could catch 24 hour bus service on the Westheimer busses.

Metro has always had service to the galleria. If you don’t know that metro busiest bus lines service the galleria then you really don't know much about the system.

Why do you think urbanophiles in Houston has been wanting the University line so bad? The rail would have the highest ridership in the state instantly. It would connect Midtown/ Downtown Houston with the galleria via a densely populated 5 mile strip. A strip that has busses running pretty frequently during the day and running for long periods of the day.

Unfortunately the southwest has gotten pricey so the population has pushed further west. But all these new apartments that priced out the population and forced the population west are passed 10 years and old stripes are continuing to disappear in favor of 4-8 story apartments. So the complexes that drove lower income folks west will definitely need to lower prices to compete with the newer builds.

Mass transit combined with lots of housing in various price points is a perfect recipe for good ridership numbers. Lower Westheimer is already unrecognizable, but they won't ever build rail that ran very far on Westheimer. The best case scenario was Westpark.
I see. Hmm . . . I wonder if Northpark Center has bus service? I'll have to look at a map.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
I see. Hmm . . . I wonder if Northpark Center has bus service? I'll have to look at a map.
Northpark has a free trolly specifically for Northpark with no stops. It circles from Park Lane Station to the double glass doors entrance by Macy's all day long non-stop.

This actually works. The same way the trolly to Love Field works.

It's hard to understand why Houstonians choose to make this a bad thing when they BRAG on riding the bus in Houston....In Fact the BUS is their staple mode of transportation.

We also have train service to the 2nd busiest airport in the world.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Northpark has a free trolly specifically for Northpark with no stops. It circles from Park Lane Station to the double glass doors entrance by Macy's all day long non-stop.

This actually works. The same way the trolly to Love Field works.

It's hard to understand why Houstonians choose to make this a bad thing when they BRAG on riding the bus in Houston....In Fact the BUS is their staple mode of transportation.

We also have train service to the 2nd busiest airport in the world.
You mean a rubber wheeled motorized trolley? Wow! If it also stops at the DART Rail station, that is quite superior indeed! Park Lane is the best way for Northpark Center to expand. Don't expand the retail museum into an urban blighted mess, but it is being surrounded by urban nodes.
Northpark Center was built one year before the Kimbell museum in Fort Worth. Nearby Medallions was built a year before Northpark by Caruth. I think he also built that little mall located north of Park Lane as well.
Pertaining to those train lines connecting DFW, people forget about the potential for infill by way of adding stations.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You mean a rubber wheeled motorized trolley? Wow! If it also stops at the DART Rail station, that is quite superior indeed! Park Lane is the best way for Northpark Center to expand. Don't expand the retail museum into an urban blighted mess, but it is being surrounded by urban nodes.
Northpark Center was built one year before the Kimbell museum in Fort Worth. Nearby Medallions was built a year before Northpark by Caruth. I think he also built that little mall located north of Park Lane as well.
Pertaining to those train lines connecting DFW, people forget about the potential for infill by way of adding stations.
No....It's a bus with no fare.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:56 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
American Girl is moving from Galleria Dallas to Shops at Park Lane. That’s not great news for Galleria Dallas as that store brings in a lot of business to the mall.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:06 AM

It'll be interesting to see what they do with that space.....They could pull in a store that'll change the whole image of the mall...Like Bloomingdales or something.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what they do with that space.....They could pull in a store that'll change the whole image of the mall...Like Bloomingdales or something.
Bloomingdale's was once located at Valley View I think. That whole area of North Dallas got obliterated. Of four existing malls built in close proximity to each other, three got redeveloped or demolished. A mall doesn't have to have luxury to be iconic. I think the Galleria can do great with some luxury and lots of fagships.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:14 AM

869 posts, read 319,576 times
Quote:
Bloomingdale's was once located at Valley View I think. That whole area of North Dallas got obliterated. Of four existing malls built in close proximity to each other, three got redeveloped or demolished. A mall doesn't have to have luxury to be iconic. I think the Galleria can do great with some luxury and lots of fagships.

Can't tell that to your friend, lol.

To him, if it ain't luxury, it ain't worth it...which is the only defense he tries to use when discrediting Galleria Houston since it beats all other malls in Texas by a longshot, especially his precious uxurious NPM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas