Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM

746 posts, read 866,042 times

Advertisements

There's barely any public transportation anywhere in Texas. How is someone supposed to get around without driving. Driving can cause severe panic and anxiety in some people so it is not good to have no other way to get around. Who wants to sit at home all day just cause they can't drive? What's with this stupid cat centric bs? It's stupid, I should not have to operate a car to be able to go places. It's not cslled being lazy its called I can't handle driving cause I'll have a severe panic attack. I should have a way to get around! I don't even care if it uses tax dollars, it doesn't seem like its gonna happen unless the government pays for it. Also everyone having to drive is causing our environment to be polluted but many people don't have any other way to get around. How about some more buses and taxis in Texas? Those can be used anywhere, but some places still have no transportation at all.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Instead of society adapting to people, people need to adapt to society. Texan society is car-centric due to large open space, sprawling cities and a sense of freedom.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM

746 posts, read 866,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Instead of society adapting to people, people need to adapt to society. Texan society is car-centric due to large open space, sprawling cities and a sense of freedom.
I think Texas might not be a good place for me. But I'd like to stay in. I wish I knew how to adapt. I'm scared that my problems can't be fixed even by professional help. I don't want my problems to control my life, I shouldn't have to adjust my whole life around them.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
sprawling cities and a sense of freedom.
That force you to have a car and pay increasingly high insurance and fuel costs. You have to be out of your mind if you think a car in a sprawling city spells freedom in any fashion.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Why does this have to be a "Texas" thing? Many cities in Texas have transportation. Move to a city that has it.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That force you to have a car and pay increasingly high insurance and fuel costs. You have to be out of your mind if you think a car in a sprawling city spells freedom in any fashion.
Of course it does. Tomorrow if I want I can hop in my car, I can go to numerous towns in the country side. Hell if I wanted I could drive all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Way more freedom than a predetermined bus ride.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Of course it does. Tomorrow if I want I can hop in my car, I can go to numerous towns in the country side. Hell if I wanted I could drive all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Way more freedom than a predetermined bus ride.
Cars have a purpose but freedom doesn't usually include thousands of dollars a year.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Time to mount up

Quote:

There used to be a trolley (electric?) system in the heavily transited downtown of El Paso (TX) once upon a time. I believe the rising US car companies went around behind shell corporations in the post-WWII period, bought all those light rail and trolley systems, etc. in good-sized cities, and tore them down. The Texas Lege is quite infamous for being willing to take anybody's money - and 'sides, once they slapped a depletion tax on exported (from the state) oil/nat gas, it was pretty much a gimmee for Texas. (This was also true for all the other oil/nat gas producing states, don't think that TX is all that special, their pleadings notwithstanding.)

There still are vestiges of bus and taxi systems in the larger cities in Texas. You can look around and see if you can hook up with one of their stops nearby. The other thing to check is to see if there is Special Transportation/Medical/Handicap available. If you have a diagnosis that keeps you from driving, you may well qualify for that service. Check on the Internet, or your local or regional public transportation system to see if you qualify, where the nearest pickup point is (they may even come to your house/apartment), and how the service works where you are.

Best of luck, compadre.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Find a place that's close to a transit area. In Austin we all types of transportation. Rail, rapid buses, a bike share program, lots of pedi cabs, as well as taxis. Pick your choice.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My brother has lived in Austin without a car for about 25 years now, give or take. He relies on the bus system for everywhere he can't walk or bum a ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas