Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM

254 posts, read 399,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Is Houston going to be the only stop on the southern end? Do you guys really think that HSR is just going to zip past The Woodlands XOM's new campus and IAH without a single stop before DT Houston? I highly doubt that
Yeah... I think that's likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM

6,267 posts, read 7,440,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
Yeah... I think that's likely.
You think it will be likely to only stop in DT Houston ?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM

254 posts, read 399,294 times
Yes, I do think there will only be one stop in Houston (which is fine, though I'd personally think you could make an argument for a stop at IAH, but not The Woodlands). Unfortunately, though, the plans I've heard discussed don't even talk about taking it all the way in to downtown Houston, but instead stop well short, basically at the edge of town in glorified park-and-rides (which I think is a mistake, for what it's worth).

Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,781,513 times
Quote:
Yes, I do think there will only be one stop in Houston (which is fine, though I'd personally think you could make an argument for a stop at IAH, but not The Woodlands). Unfortunately, though, the plans I've heard discussed don't even talk about taking it all the way in to downtown Houston, but instead stop well short, basically at the edge of town in glorified park-and-rides (which I think is a mistake, for what it's worth).
Isn't the stop in Dallas supposed to be in the old Reunion Arena site? That would put it right beside Union Station. Hopefully it does reach downtown Houston cause otherwise it would turn down some people.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM

6,267 posts, read 7,440,213 times
Quote:
There website doesn't specify the exact route but sure implies that we are talking DT to DT.

Dallas/Fort Worth to Houston in 90 minutes - YouTube

Texas Central Railway

I must say if doesn't go into DT Houston or close to it I would be hesitant to support such a proposal.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 04-09-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,235,930 times
It seems if they are talking perimeter Dallas to perimeter Houston, they're really going all in on being able to build this as cheaply as possible and only acquire inexpensive land to do this.

In my mind this type of proposal would be penny-wise, pound-foolish. You lose a lot of potential ridership if you have to get to the edge of North Houston or South Dallas..

I think its an interesting idea but I still don't see how they plan to pull a profit on this. If they build the line that people want (downtown Dallas to downtown Houston, at the least) it gets far more expensive, quickly. If they build to the edges, it loses a lot of its potential.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM

20,505 posts, read 33,382,521 times
Have the stop in Downtown Dallas and the other in Downtown Houston. That's the smart thing to do. As far as Arlington..... No

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 PM

156 posts, read 243,684 times
IMO, bullet trains should only be for connecting major CBDs, not suburbs. Major CBDs include Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and El Paso. Connecting major CBDs is what would give bullet trains an advantage over airports. CBDs are where most out-of-town travelers head for, and are usually transit hubs that connect to other places in the metro area. Otherwise, there is no need to waste billions on something that has no advantage over airports.

I fully support an extension to Fort Worth to connect it with Houston. We should not have to travel to Dallas to get on this train since Fort Worth has its own CBD. I do not support Arlington being part of the plan, however, since it is just a glorified suburb that would slow the train.

Last edited by PeopleAreStrange; 04-09-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,412,097 times
Lets be right up front. The cost of ROWs, existing line upgrades, etc is OMG expensive. You can get to Houston by Southwest Airlines in less than an hour. We don't need it. It was killed by a coalition of ranchers, farmers, etc when they started looking at the costs, impact, etc.

This is a DOA proposal.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM

725 posts, read 1,235,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Lets be right up front. The cost of ROWs, existing line upgrades, etc is OMG expensive. You can get to Houston by Southwest Airlines in less than an hour. We don't need it. It was killed by a coalition of ranchers, farmers, etc when they started looking at the costs, impact, etc.

This is a DOA proposal.
You're right that it's expensive, but if done right its certainly an upgrade over flying in every way. Yes flight time from Dallas to Houston is under an hour, but that doesn't take into account waiting at the airport, security, getting to the airport, waiting for bags, etc. The train (if done right) will cut down travel time.

It's only DOA if the private investors decide that they can't make a profit on it.

Personally, if I was given the opportunity to invest in this project, I'd likely decline just based on the fact that I'd love to see the line, but I don't believe it will be profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas