Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which order would you put these cities by there hills and scenery
Nacogdoches 22 70.97%
Tyler 6 19.35%
Jacksonville 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not from East Texas, but, from what I remember, Nacogdoches was absolutely one of the hilliest settlements in the region, along with Rusk. Definitely more pines than Tyler. Not sure I would say there were absolutely less deciduous trees, though.

Tyler simply looked and felt like a larger town, compared to Nacogdoches. I do not get that city feel anywhere in East Texas.
Tyler and Nacogdoches loop are nearly the same mileage and to say it is much large is no but population it is a little larger.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Tyler and Nacogdoches loop are nearly the same mileage and to say it is much large is no but population it is a little larger.
Tyler is quite larger. It covers over twice the land area & is over 3 1/4 times the size in population. Tyler is also denser of course.

Smith County - Tyler - 214,821 - 1,782/ sq mi

Nacogdoches County - Nacogdoches - 66,034 - 1,221.5/ sq mi

I love Nacogdoches, its a nice old town with lots of interesting stuff & then there is SFA of course, but its not on the level of Tyler. Not even close. Its the sticks in comparison.

By comparison, Nac's population today is what Tyler's was back in the middle 1940's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like a town that preserves its history well. Tyler doesn't.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-14-2014 at 11:31 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Tyler is quite larger. It covers over twice the land area & is over 3 1/4 times the size in population. Tyler is also denser of course.

Smith County - Tyler - 214,821 - 1,782/ sq mi

Nacogdoches County - Nacogdoches - 66,034 - 1,221.5/ sq mi

I love Nacogdoches, its a nice old town with lots of interesting stuff & then there is SFA of course, but its not on the level of Tyler. Not even close. Its the sticks in comparison.

By comparison, Nac's population today is what Tyler's was back in the middle 1940's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like a town that preserves its history well. Tyler doesn't.
You did say that it had been almost 15 years since you were last in Nacogdoches, so maybe you're due for a visit. You might be surprised. I certainly didn't feel like I was in the sticks around the SFA campus.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You did say that it had been almost 15 years since you were last in Nacogdoches, so maybe you're due for a visit. You might be surprised. I certainly didn't feel like I was in the sticks around the SFA campus.
Nacogdoches is a quaint little college town with one main campus. Nothing much ever changes through out the years so I highly doubt 15 years would have seen any drastic change. That's why its population today is what Tyler's was back in the 1930's & 1940's. Again, I'm not knocking Nac. because sometimes change isn't always a good thing especially when a towns history is wiped off the face of the Earth.

Tyler is a quaint little city/micropolitan area with 3 colleges, UT Tyler, TJC (one of the oldest community colleges in Texas) & Texas College which is a historically Black now both Black & Hispanic college. Stuff going up all over the place. You can literally blink an eye & something will be different from the last time you were here. Its prime location sandwiched between 3 major US cities (Dallas, Shreveport, & Houston) is a draw for lots of different businesses & people. We are an educational & medical hub of a large region of the state. We're one of the few cities in the nation our size that have a budget surplus...yep you heard it right a budget surplus. Everything is paid for with the half cent sales tax implemented several years ago. We have the only Level One Trauma Center between Dallas & Houston.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-15-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Nacogdoches is a quaint little college town with one main campus. Nothing much ever changes through out the years so I highly doubt 15 years would have seen any drastic change. That's why its population today is what Tyler's was back in the 1930's & 1940's. Again, I'm not knocking Nac. because sometimes change isn't always a good thing especially when a towns history is wiped off the face of the Earth.

Tyler is a quaint little city/micropolitan area with 3 colleges, UT Tyler, TJC (one of the oldest community colleges in Texas) & Texas College which is a historically Black now both Black & Hispanic college. Stuff going up all over the place. You can literally blink an eye & something will be different from the last time you were here. Its prime location sandwiched between 3 major US cities (Dallas, Shreveport, & Houston) is a draw for lots of different businesses & people. We are an educational & medical hub of a large region of the state. We're one of the few cities in the nation our size that have a budget surplus...yep you heard it right a budget surplus. Everything is paid for with the half cent sales tax implemented several years ago. We have the only Level One Trauma Center between Dallas & Houston.
The fact remains that you haven't been there in nearly two decades, so you aren't exactly qualified to say that for sure, now, are you? It is simply my opinion, but as someone who has been to both Tyler and Nacogdoches over the past two or three years, neither city felt like "the sticks" when put up against the other. The difference between 60,000 people and 200,000 people is minuscule to someone from an area of 6,000,000.

Shreveport is not what I would call a major city. It is a smaller city that just so happens to serve as the cultural center of a very expansive region; thus, giving it somewhat of a "major" role.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The fact remains that you haven't been there in nearly two decades, so you aren't exactly qualified to say that for sure, now, are you? It is simply my opinion, but as someone who has been to both Tyler and Nacogdoches over the past two or three years, neither city felt like "the sticks" when put up against the other. The difference between 60,000 people and 200,000 people is minuscule to someone from an area of 6,000,000.

Shreveport is not what I would call a major city. It is a smaller city that just so happens to serve as the cultural center of a very expansive region; thus, giving it somewhat of a "major" role.
Maybe, maybe not.

Tyler has tallish buildings all over the city, Nac. has none so I would think that would be some kind of dead give away from a big city guy such as yourself Tyler is much larger. We just officially dedicated an area as "Midtown" too with its own unique street signage & new bus stops near the medical center & college campus. It encompasses 1.6 square miles of historic neighborhoods. The master plan adopted in 2011 is huge. Its big city style planning. The same type of stuff you see going on in Dallas & Houston right now.

http://www.cityoftyler.org/Portals/0...DP%20Final.pdf

Tyler is comparable to the smaller Texas cities/micropolitan areas such as Beaumont, Waco, & Midland/Odessa.

List of cities in Texas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nac. is comparable to other small time Texas towns like Lufkin & Texarkana. Again, not a bad thing. It is what it is.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-15-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.

Tyler has tallish buildings all over the city, Nac. has none so I would think that would be some kind of dead give away from a big city guy such as yourself Tyler is much larger. We just officially dedicated an area as "Midtown" too with its own unique street signage & new bus stops near the medical center & college campus. That's kinda big city right there.

Tyler is comparable to the smaller Texas cities/micropolitan areas such as Beaumont, Waco, & Midland/Odessa.

List of cities in Texas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nac. is comparable to other small time Texas towns like Lufkin & Texarkana. Again, not a bad thing. It is what it is.
I didn't say there weren't any differences. They just aren't that drastic, to me. The Texarkana metro area feels like a cross between Tyler and the smaller East Texas towns. The infrastructure there is certainly not characteristic of the sticks.

The Tyler skyline is pretty striking, I will admit.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't say there weren't any differences. They just aren't that drastic, to me. The Texarkana metro area feels like a cross between Tyler and the smaller East Texas towns. The infrastructure there is certainly not characteristic of the sticks.

The Tyler skyline is pretty striking, I will admit.
Its decent for a city of 104,000. The 2 cranes are for a new 4 story parking garage (not your normal parking garage) & jail going up which will add some infill & get rid of 2 surface lots. The darn pine trees are so tall you can barely even see them from 6 stories up.
Attached Thumbnails
City with the best hills and Scenery at night Nacogdoches,Jacksonville or Tyler-1400800_10151958666236050_606743351_o.jpg  

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-15-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
I like the pines Matt lol, but there is a large difference between Tyler and Nac in size, as one who has spent 25 years in BIG Houston, metro over 6,000,000. But as been said, not a bad thing that Nac is smaller, when I deal with Tyler traffic which does approach the DFW northern suburbs, when you take out the freeways, I rather like the Nac size, and actually as I have said before I think Nac. is quite nice with all the pines and hills and history and neat downtown.

Oh yes, you can't see all the low rise buildings in the medical district, like the six-story Heart Hospital and even the new Nurse and Science building on the TJC Campus, because they start in a hole and it takes two floors even be seen. If Tyler were on a flat, pretty much treeless area like Midland, yes it would look more impressive as you approach the city, but heck, it then wouldn't be Tyler which I really like, in most ways.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 04-15-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
This is not by population and thats why Nacogdoches is winning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas