Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM

227 posts, read 385,773 times

Advertisements

It totally depends on the region of Texas. West Texas is the real Texas and extremely friendly. Central and East Texas are less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
It totally depends on the region of Texas. West Texas is the real Texas and extremely friendly. Central and East Texas are less so.
I just don't get where people reach this conclusion. I haven't had less friendly interactions with people from east or central TX vs west Texas. Texans have been friendly in every region I've visited - equally so in fact.

But then, it probably helps that I'm friendly too.

By the way, ALL of Texas is "the real Texas." But this belief of yours that only West Texas is "the real Texas" may explain why you apparently have fewer positive interactions with people from other regions of Texas.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:09 PM

227 posts, read 385,773 times
By the "real" Texas, I mean the Texas that most conforms with the ideas that outsiders have about Texas. West Texas is wide open plains, cowboy boots, an open and welcoming culture and very friendly folks.

The regions of Texas differ dramatically. It is certainly not one homogenous state. Yes, there are friendly people everywhere but on average, different regions exhibit different characteristics. Central Texas is much more pretentious than other parts.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 PM

328 posts, read 471,547 times
East Texas "institution" Big Earl’s Bait House and Country Store is not exactly rolling out the welcome wagon. In fact, quite the opposite. The story has been reported nationwide. This is certainly unwanted, negative press for the proprietor, city and region.

Do these people realize that many of us make decisions every day on where we shop, what we buy when we shop, where to get gas, where to travel--where our $ are going--based on what we perceive as the ethics of those receiving that money? (Exxon Mobil doesn't get a dime of my money, based on Exxon Valdez and their workplace discrimination policies. NOT A DIME.)

I'm guessing that Big Earl's is probably very busy right now, serving a lot of first-timers.
Gay Couple Told Not To Return To East Texas Restaurant « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Now juxtapose that negative publicity with this positive news from Houston.
Houston Passed Its Equal Rights Ordinance Last Night | Texas Monthly

I related earlier in this thread my family's negative, uncomfortable lunchtime experience in Nacogdoches--and that was a long time ago. Looks like it's business as usual in East Texas, 15 years later.

Last edited by casimpso; 05-31-2014 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: added "positive"

Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
East Texas "institution" Big Earl’s Bait House and Country Store is not exactly rolling out the welcome wagon. In fact, quite the opposite. The story has been reported nationwide. This is certainly unwanted, negative press for the proprietor, city and region.

Do these people realize that many of us make decisions every day on where we shop, what we buy when we shop, where to get gas, where to travel--where our $ are going--based on what we perceive as the ethics of those receiving that money? (Exxon Mobil doesn't get a dime of my money, based on Exxon Valdez and their workplace discrimination policies. NOT A DIME.)

I'm guessing that Big Earl's is probably very busy right now, serving a lot of first-timers.
Gay Couple Told Not To Return To East Texas Restaurant « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Now juxtapose that negative publicity with this positive news from Houston.
Houston Passed Its Equal Rights Ordinance Last Night | Texas Monthly

I related earlier in this thread my family's negative, uncomfortable lunchtime experience in Nacogdoches--and that was a long time ago. Looks like it's business as usual in East Texas, 15 years later.
LOL funny - I've lived in East Texas for over twenty years and until this minute I had never even HEARD OF the "East Texas institution" called Big Earl's Bait House and Country Store. So I really don't think they are setting the cultural tone or norms of East Texas in general.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 8,329 times
In my experiences, don't bring up religion, and avoid it if it is brought up. Same with politics. That's when people get rude here. Outside of that the people tend to be rather friendly and helpful.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
People are polarized by religion and politics anywhere. It's not unique to Texas.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Disclaimer: I live in a part of Texas that is mostly populated by people from out of state and out of country (namely India, China, and Korea).

I don't find it any more or less friendly here than I did in California. People are nice enough, I certainly wouldn't call them rude at all. But, at least here, it's not a go out of your way to be friendly kind of place.

The most friendly place I've lived is Chicago. I find Chicago more friendly than Dallas or Austin and as friendly as Houston.

One thing I will say about living here (to the outsider anyway) is that urban Texas is surprisingly tolerant of any lifestyle or any culture.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Houston is extremely friendly. I moved here from Buffalo, NY. I was a little off-put by the friendliness at first because I assumed people must have been forced to be that friendly. Then I got used to it and when I went back to Buffalo to visit I was surprised by how rude everyone there was. In a lot of ways I still prefer Buffalo but not for the friendliness. That goes to Houston.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:26 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Houston is extremely friendly. I moved here from Buffalo, NY. I was a little off-put by the friendliness at first because I assumed people must have been forced to be that friendly. Then I got used to it and when I went back to Buffalo to visit I was surprised by how rude everyone there was. In a lot of ways I still prefer Buffalo but not for the friendliness. That goes to Houston.
That's surprising to me as I assumed Buffalo would be friendly. I'd always heard people were more rude in the Northeast, but the one and only time I got up that way I was shocked at how friendly people were. It wasn't Buffalo though. I suppose the one thing you'll get in Houston that you won't get in other large cities is the random stranger chatting you up in line. I think people think it's weird or fake friendly in other areas. At least that's the vibe I get sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas