Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,299,283 times

Advertisements

I'd say go to UT based on that criteria.

1. UT historically has a better football program. But I'd say A&M has been doing better in that area lately.

2. Austin unquestionably offers more than a small town like College Station. Although most people would probably prefer Austin to College Station, there are still many who like the small town atmosphere.

3. Both UT's engineering program and UT as a whole are ranked higher than A&M's offerings. Also, a UT degree has more recognition nationally. So again, I'd say pick UT for those reasons. But A&M does have a great program too.

Like most people will say, UT is more liberal politically and A&M is more conservative. Whichever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
I would say this person needs to speak with the student welcoming people and learn about the "traditions" of the school. I don't want to offend anyone, so I won't give my opinion of my thoughts about A&M, but UT people are more "down to earth" than Aggies. To be politically correct, the nicest way I can put it is that Aggies have some questionable traditions that just aren't for everyone.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 AM

130 posts, read 295,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
A&m doesnt have a med school on campus nor a law school. I would say they are at worst "equal" when it comes to engineering
Correction: a&m DOES have a med school in College Station and it's right across the business school. Look up TAMHSC. Law school is in Dallas (formerly Texas Wesleyan).

Both campuses are large and I think TAMU has the edge right now in student enrollment. Yes A&M's traditions may be weird to some but you don't have to partake in them (you will be called a 2%er though). Aggies have a reputation for helping each other out especially when it comes to networking/employment. Austin has the city vibe and College Station has more of a suburban one. Both schools offer marketable degrees.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
If you go to aTm, live is much easier and more fun if you go 'all in' on the aggie tradition thing. If you plan on being a 'two percenter', you are missing out on a lot of the fun. Some people love that culture, others find it disturbing. It is all dependent on the personality.

UT, OTOH, has a very diverse group of students, many of which will not know any of the UT traditions and the like. Historically (and this has been changing over the past decade or two), UT has had a much larger grad school with students from all over the country, so the school 'loyalty' is much more muted.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I would say this person needs to speak with the student welcoming people and learn about the "traditions" of the school. I don't want to offend anyone, so I won't give my opinion of my thoughts about A&M, but UT people are more "down to earth" than Aggies. To be politically correct, the nicest way I can put it is that Aggies have some questionable traditions that just aren't for everyone.
Squeeze Ags!

A&M is one of the best academic institutions in the country, but something isn't right if you have to create a separate brand new department for diversity recruitment.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,789,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx09 View Post
Correction: a&m DOES have a med school in College Station and it's right across the business school. Look up TAMHSC. Law school is in Dallas (formerly Texas Wesleyan).

Both campuses are large and I think TAMU has the edge right now in student enrollment. Yes A&M's traditions may be weird to some but you don't have to partake in them (you will be called a 2%er though). Aggies have a reputation for helping each other out especially when it comes to networking/employment. Austin has the city vibe and College Station has more of a suburban one. Both schools offer marketable degrees.
The law school is in Fort Worth.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM

287 posts, read 545,504 times
Doesn't UT have more programs in the medical field?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,997,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
A&M has a big military feel (people dressed up that way on campus, at events, etc) and UT you will see almost none of that.
What does this mean? A&M in College Station has about 50,000 students on campus. Only a little over 2,000 are in the Corps of Cadets. Are they visible? Sure. But go on campus at any time and I would not say it has a big military feel. It looks and feels radically different from one of the academies. Only people in the Corps wear uniforms. Every other boy and girl looks just like other college kids in Texas. They wear flip flops or tennis shoes and t-shirts.

I have a child at UT now. Another child is about to graduate from A&M.

The campuses "feel" different.

UT is more urban and dense
A&M is a huge campus in area and its agricultural history is easy to see
A&M is less diverse, but the differences are not as great as some believe; not many blacks on either campus
Both are highly ranked national public universities - UT higher than A&M
Specific programs at each campus are higher ranked than the other. For example A&M's nuclear engineering is #2 in the country. But UT's business school is clearly better ranked.
A&M is more "find a job" oriented for BS graduates. That is why A&M is much higher ranked by companies to recruit from.
The A&M student body is more connected than UT's. Most students become Aggies, where at UT there are many students who are disinterested in being a Longhorn.
Frat culture is weak at A&M

Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,997,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
That's a strange way to describe UT people. "Down to earth" is hardly what I would say about UT people. A&M people are far more likely to be "down to earth" in my view. Unless you think "down to earth" is something someone from Portland would aspire to.

What "traditions" are you talking about? Don't be shy here.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,785,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What does this mean? A&M in College Station has about 50,000 students on campus. Only a little over 2,000 are in the Corps of Cadets. Are they visible? Sure. But go on campus at any time and I would not say it has a big military feel. It looks and feels radically different from one of the academies. Only people in the Corps wear uniforms. Every other boy and girl looks just like other college kids in Texas. They wear flip flops or tennis shoes and t-shirts.
Well, if it's indeed only 2000 Corps of Cadets, they make a big impact on the school IMO. I mean, the band is all Corps of Cadets in uniform... right? You see them at many events, tailgates, etc. And on campus.

It's not like West Point, but compared to UT, it "feels" much more military to me. I mean, wasn't it started as a military-only (Corps of Cadets) school? That history still permeates the campus, even if the presence today is small compared to the whole student body.

But it's just my observation and opinion. Certainly other people may feel differently. Since you have a child going there right now, you probably are more familiar with it than me, I accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas