Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times

Advertisements

I know a millionaire here in town. Runs a lawn care company. Started with a truck and a lawn mower. Built it to a very large commercial lawn care company.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I guess that's what it is. It's that a lot of the rich people started at the bottom and made their millions later in life. They're also old school and traditional.

Places like Houston, Austin and San Antonio have a humbling quality to them.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
This would be a good thread for the LA forum...
It would just get turned into a Texas-bashing thread, get closed, or both.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Yeah I really just want to talk about Texas culture, its non pretentious attitude vas how it differs from other supposedly world class cultures on the coasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I live in LA and work for a Texas based company. This weekend the owner came into town to check up on us and this owner is a multi millionaire with ample bragging rights. Since living out here I've encountered the worst stereotypes about rich people and the unnecessary flashiness they exhibit. The level of entitlement and arrogance is annoying. Sure there are those older men that made their millions in tech that live by the beach and are relatively down to earth but the majority I've met are nice but yuppified to the core. Trends and pop culture dictate their tastes and life style.

Anyways, meeting my boss was a breath of fresh air. He drove up in a rented truck and dressed in jeans and cowboy boots. He was respectful and was just the right amount of stern when it came to his business. He's down to earth and witty and isn't obsessed with the sensibilities (but is respectful) of people. He's also hands on and very skilled, which is one thing people forget about Texans in LA, they may say we are dumb but nearly most men here can barely change a tire. When rich people dress down here its usually in that I'm too cool for school attitude, I'm too creative to care.

But I miss that about Texas. I do miss how things didn't have to be that pretentious or that image based. I like how you can eat at a rather moderately priced nice place and find yourself sitting next to George W Bush. I'm as liberal as they get but I would soon rather have a beer with Bush than Obama. Nothing in Texas was ever over the top fancy. I've eaten at some of the best places in Austin and Houston and never found it to be that pretentious.

I can't speak for Dallas since I've never really gone out there but I assume its not that bad as what people say.

The point is that I while I love California, I do wonder why people in LA have to take their wealth so seriously like its literally a class status thing.
I can't imagine why that would be, but okay. This native Texan would have far more in common with the Obamas than the Bushies.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:27 PM

370 posts, read 613,028 times
Texas real money doesn't generally brag, it seems like it in L.A though. people are trying to meet a quota for social status. $$ is really important there. a lot of people there aren't really rich and love to act like it. You've got much bigger influences in L.A., celebrities, hollywood, advertisement, just a lot more push than you would find in Texas. way too many people brainwashed, making life only harder on themselves. just be.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can't imagine why that would be, but okay. This native Texan would have far more in common with the Obamas than the Bushies.
Bush seems like a humble man by comparison. Obama strikes me as the typical yuppie with a chip on his shoulder.

I'm liberal but in that old school union supporting working class way not the trendy liberal yuppie way.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not to hijack a thread but i am curious as to what you mean by this ? What do you have in common with Obama that you dont with Bush?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Texas real money doesn't generally brag, it seems like it in L.A though. people are trying to meet a quota for social status. $$ is really important there. a lot of people there aren't really rich and love to act like it. You've got much bigger influences in L.A., celebrities, hollywood, advertisement, just a lot more push than you would find in Texas. way too many people brainwashed, making life only harder on themselves. just be.
They make life WAY harder for themselves by trying to stay hip, young and relevant. It just gets annoying watching a 40 year old riding a scooter like some kid, donning a backwards cap and having this fake nice demeanor about him.

I don't know what it is. I used to be the kind of guy that loved to be different and hated it whoever Texans would say someone different was "weird" but after living in places like LA, NYC and Boston I find some of the people to just try too hard. They just don't let up with trying hard to be witty, sarcastic and downright competitive with each other. Its weird.

I've never tried so hard to stay away from success before.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Bush seems like a humble man by comparison. Obama strikes me as the typical yuppie with a chip on his shoulder.

I'm liberal but in that old school union supporting working class way not the trendy liberal yuppie way.
Translation: an educated man with a purpose (??)

I actually know several people who have met Pres. Obama, and they insist that he's a personable and down to earth guy. I don't doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas