Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Not to hijack a thread but i am curious as to what you mean by this ? What do you have in common with Obama that you dont with Bush?
Oh, you mean aside from the obvious?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Translation: an educated man with a purpose (??)

I actually know several people who have met Pres. Obama, and they insist that he's a personable and down to earth guy. I don't doubt it.
No, I used to think that when white conservatives would say that Obama is arrogant they were just intimidated by educated men with confidence (not purpose, that makes no sense). But then again, I used to consider myself an educated man with confidence to answer opponents but I checked myself and realized that I was really just being smarmy.

I'm sure he's more personable having been a community organizer but he does remind me of that same class type that would snark at someone for not knowing about a study published by a wonkish academically trendy policy center. People can see past a facade. I'm sure Bush's facade of being an all Texan man is flawed too but I was merely talking about the image they've put off.

When you live in places like Boston, NYC and LA like I have you'd yearn for that no games, no PR crap and image/trend driven nature of business and relationships. I miss that about Houston.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No, I used to think that when white conservatives would say that Obama is arrogant they were just intimidated by educated men with confidence (not purpose, that makes no sense). But then again, I used to consider myself an educated man with confidence to answer opponents but I checked myself and realized that I was really just being smarmy.

I'm sure he's more personable having been a community organizer but he does remind me of that same class type that would snark at someone for not knowing about a study published by a wonkish academically trendy policy center. People can see past a facade. I'm sure Bush's facade of being an all Texan man is flawed too but I was merely talking about the image they've put off.

When you live in places like Boston, NYC and LA like I have you'd yearn for that no games, no PR crap and image/trend driven nature of business and relationships. I miss that about Houston.
So, in short, I prefer Barack Obama the man to George Bush the man because I don't know any better. Got it.

What doesn't make sense about him being an educated man with a purpose?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
So, in short, I prefer Barack Obama the man to George Bush the man because I don't know any better. Got it.

What doesn't make sense about him being an educated man with a purpose?
Educated man with confidence sounds better then a man with a purpose.

You see the way you're answering me? It sounds a bit snarky. I can see why you prefer Obama the man rather than GWB the man.

Personally I think GWB is practically a war criminal for the Iraq War and a token puppet for the rich, but the type of man he is (or the image he gives off) seems much more approachable than Obama's type. I'd sooner have a beer with Clinton and my fave would be Jimmy Carter.

I hope I at least made this clearer. My point is I tend not to like the yuppie trendy element of the liberal base. Is that so wrong?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Educated man with confidence sounds better then a man with a purpose.
They're two different statements with two different points, though. Calling him a man with a purpose was a reference to his agenda, which I mostly support.

Quote:
You see the way you're answering me? It sounds a bit snarky. I can see why you prefer Obama the man rather than GWB the man.
I can be snarky when I take offense to a certain comment. I'll admit that. You pretty much suggested that you had more world experience than I did, and you have no basis to make such an assumption.

Quote:
Personally I think GWB is practically a war criminal for the Iraq War and a token puppet for the rich, but the type of man he is (or the image he gives off) seems much more approachable than Obama's type. I'd sooner have a beer with Clinton and my fave would be Jimmy Carter.

I hope I at least made this clearer. My point is I tend not to like the yuppie trendy element of the liberal base. Is that so wrong?
I never said it was wrong. I just questioned it. Still, you yourself just described Bush as "practically a war criminal", and this is the man you'd rather enjoy a beer with, instead of the man whose politics are closest to your own?

All politicians are essentially a PR creation. That's part of the game. I'm not seeing how Obama is any more guilty of this than Bush is, and I certainly don't see why he should be penalized for being a sharp individual.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM

I said Bush the man, the image, the type. I'd rather have a beer with a guy like him than a guy like Obama. All that means if I'd rather have a beer with a good ol boy then a yuppie, that's all.

I too support Obamas agenda, sort of. He's not even lefty enough for me but the point is that I typically dislike trendy mainstream liberals.

Who I'd rather have a beer with over both is Jimmy Carter, not just the image but the man himself.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean aside from the obvious?
Any reason my question seems so difficult for you to answer?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
If I thought I had to have a beer with ANY politician, I'd be depressed all day up to the event, and then cut it as short as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas