Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 11:17 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Culture - strong family orientation, less "keeping up with the Jones'", self-reliance/responsibility, "Don't Mess With Texas!"
Less keeping up with joneses? No way! Texas is a big keeping up with the joneses kinda state. It the outer loop of Dallas and Houston, keeping up with the joneses is one of the perks or the exciting things to do. When you city lacks the natural landscape of places like LA, San Diego, Denver, Seattle or Boston, you're top things to do are enjoy the mans made amenities afforded to you; shop, eat out or drink.

When you're a booming state and people are finding out how much a decent salary will get them as far as housing in comparison to NYC or LA, then you're going to see how much stuff you can accumulate.

Let's just say this. I live in LA now and people in LA openly admit to not being able to afford this or that product all the time, out in the open and to sales people. They admit to riding the bus, they admit they live in certain undesirable places.

In Houston, the outer loop burbs where I grew up, good luck not getting judged if you pull up in a middle class burb with the paint on the good of your car peeling.

There's no comparison. Big boom in Texas is creating more and more of a new moneyed middle professional class with the McMansion in the Woodlands, TX and you get your butt there's a huge keeping up with the joneses mentality. That's all there is to do !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Less keeping up with joneses? No way! Texas is a big keeping up with the joneses kinda state. It the outer loop of Dallas and Houston, keeping up with the joneses is one of the perks or the exciting things to do. When you city lacks the natural landscape of places like LA, San Diego, Denver, Seattle or Boston, you're top things to do are enjoy the mans made amenities afforded to you; shop, eat out or drink.

When you're a booming state and people are finding out how much a decent salary will get them as far as housing in comparison to NYC or LA, then you're going to see how much stuff you can accumulate.

Let's just say this. I live in LA now and people in LA openly admit to not being able to afford this or that product all the time, out in the open and to sales people. They admit to riding the bus, they admit they live in certain undesirable places.

In Houston, the outer loop burbs where I grew up, good luck not getting judged if you pull up in a middle class burb with the paint on the good of your car peeling.

There's no comparison. Big boom in Texas is creating more and more of a new moneyed middle professional class with the McMansion in the Woodlands, TX and you get your butt there's a huge keeping up with the joneses mentality. That's all there is to do !
There's a lot of keeping up with the joneses in Midland too because of the influx of all the money due to the boom we are in.Part of the reason like you said is that there's no outdoor stuff like lakes and stuff nearby.So keeping up with the joneses is not limited to the big cities in Texas

Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
There's a lot of keeping up with the joneses in Midland too because of the influx of all the money due to the boom we are in.Part of the reason like you said is that there's no outdoor stuff like lakes and stuff nearby.So keeping up with the joneses is not limited to the big cities in Texas
Some in Midland not only kept up with the Joneses, they downright buried 'em!

I had a hard time believing some of the great lengths some went to--whether in housing, cars or other big ticket items!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Some in Midland not only kept up with the Joneses, they downright buried 'em!

I had a hard time believing some of the great lengths some went to--whether in housing, cars or other big ticket items!
true.....

Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Wow! Midland? Amazing

Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Wow! Midland? Amazing
yes Midland.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM

382 posts, read 628,926 times
Quote:
And most of those people are coming here from where Jones' is a big affliction. Yes, even with native Texans one is bound to find a subset who are like that. My point is it seems less so, in my experience, having worked in just about every metro area in this country. But, admittedly, I have not stats I can point to.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:19 PM

376 posts, read 489,238 times
I'll take a stab at the OP's question. I am a native Texan, but have been in Chicagoland for 10 years.

I think that it is important to note that this is a direct SF - area to Texas comparison. Implicitly urban Texas.

Pros - MUCH lower cost of living, particularly Real Estate
- Lifestyle plus: Texas is created by and for the Middle Class. IF the OP is part of it, then there is just less frustration in living one's life there, and less barriers to success, not just with government, but also socially.
- Texans. Generally friendly and hardworking. If you work hard, no matter who you are, you will probably be accepted.
- Politics. The OP mentions that he is conservative. Texas is the crown jewel of the Red States, though within the core city areas it is blue to a great extent.
- Momentum. Texas is on the rise, California is declining.
- Accessibility to the rest of the country etc. Texas is centrally located and better positioned for travel anywhere but Hawaii / the West coast / Asia.

Neutral - not sure what the OP does for a living. It really depends on the field.
- Religion. No idea on the OP's orientation here. The Southern Baptists etc. in Texas turn a lot of people off. So does the militant secularism in the Bay area, though.

Cons - Texas can't compete with northern California for natural beauty. It gives me no pleasure to say it.
- the weather is more temperate in northern California
- Cultural opportunities. I know its a broad category, and not sure what flavor of culture the OP likes, but SF has the advantage here.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
That's pretty much all they have. I wouldn't live there for $100k raise.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That's pretty much all they have. I wouldn't live there for $100k raise.
True.I have no plans to leave anytime soon but Midland is an "acquired taste".Thats for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas