U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 PM

7,154 posts, read 11,322,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why are the top reasins for leaving Texas?
I think it'd be the same as everyone's cons list, but my #1 reason for leaving was the craptastic summertime heat and humidity followed closely by the blandness of the blackland prairie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 8,190,412 times
I don't blame you. The worst for me was dealing with the humidity while suffering from a bad case of allergies. My eyes were swollen shut, my nose was stuffed and I was sweating like I was locked in a sauna. Asking how texans do it during the summer might be like asking how people in Chicago do the winters.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:31 AM

8,707 posts, read 9,445,732 times
Quote:
Why are the top reasins for leaving Texas?
Even though I've been here a while, I didn't grow up here and I know the difference in lifestyle and weather especially if you have the perspective of both states. And I will say many Californians that haven't traveled do not. In Texas we look forward to spring and fall. Where we lived in California the weather was like those best days here in spring and fall but 90% of the time. That allows you to truly live that indoor outdoor lifestyle, and take advantage of California's natural wonders. I don't like having to run AC 24/7 from mid May to September. Although AC is what has allowed the south to grow so much, just my opinion. Weve found it a major trip to go anywhere different (by car) in Texas. If you want to go to mountains or a good beach it's a major drive. Or if you want to escape the summer heat for a week it's a plane ride.
So I would sum up the top reasons as; lifestyle, geography, family, weather, attractions that are not too far. I'm willing to sacrifice house size and some cost of living to do this.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 3 days ago)

54,425 posts, read 42,603,601 times
Quote:
lifestyle, geography, family, weather, attractions that are not too far.
Interesting - these are probably the reasons why people move from ANY state or TO any state! The reason I say that is because different people love different sorts of weather and attractions - and family is usually a draw as well.

As I've mentioned, I'm from the deep South. I know this may sound unbelievable to some people, but I actually PREFER higher humidity, and the long, hot summers seem perfectly normal to me. My family has lived in the South since the 1700s - we're so acclimated to the seasons that we barely notice the heat of the summer. And we LOVE the winters and spring and fall.

It's just personal taste, that's all. I know California is a beautiful state with many attractions. The same could be said for any one of our fifty states, depending on a person's likes or dislikes and their own situation. I'm a former military brat and military wife, and now two of my kids are raising their families in the military and around the world. I guess what I'm saying is that having lived in so many different places all over the world, I have come to realize that adventure and pleasure can be found just about anywhere. Every place I've ever lived, I found the fun, the beauty, the attractions, the charms of the particular weather patterns, etc.

My daughter lives in northern England right now. At first she went on and on about how terrible the weather was there. But within a few months, she discovered the unique beauty, the history, the charms of that area. I used to live in Germany. Dang, the winters were cold there and it was often very wet and overcast. But after awhile, I came to regard Germany as one of the most beautiful places on earth.

It's all just a matter of perspective.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Yes Kathryn, people get used to where they're stationed and appreciate it after a while but there is objective beauty too and people can clearly see that coastal California , places like Santa Barbara and Carmel are stunning, far prettier than Beaumont or Palacios, Texas.

The Austin lakes and hill country are far prettier than Lake Conroe. I think that's the point.

Quote:
So I would sum up the top reasons as; lifestyle, geography, family, weather, attractions that are not too far. I'm willing to sacrifice house size and some cost of living to do this.
If there weren't people who were willing to sacrifice a lower cost of living for a better lifestyle then Southern California would be barren.

I do have to say that while my standard of living dropped moving from Texas to CA, the quality of life improved. The amenities, the outdoor lifestyle, the opportunities, and the weather. But it comes at a price and that price high cost of living, traffic and a poor job market.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 AM

7,591 posts, read 12,387,309 times
Reading this reminded me that yes, beauty is found anywhere - and after living in DFW all my life I find the storms that so many dread are my favorite time of the year. Just two weeks ago I took a picture of a fantastic cloud formation and posted it on FB.

30 minutes later I was getting pounded by baseball size hail, but that's beside the point.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 917,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Even though I've been here a while, I didn't grow up here and I know the difference in lifestyle and weather especially if you have the perspective of both states. And I will say many Californians that haven't traveled do not. In Texas we look forward to spring and fall. Where we lived in California the weather was like those best days here in spring and fall but 90% of the time. That allows you to truly live that indoor outdoor lifestyle, and take advantage of California's natural wonders. I don't like having to run AC 24/7 from mid May to September. Although AC is what has allowed the south to grow so much, just my opinion. Weve found it a major trip to go anywhere different (by car) in Texas. If you want to go to mountains or a good beach it's a major drive. Or if you want to escape the summer heat for a week it's a plane ride.
SLO = San Louis Obispo, correct? I'd like to let everyone know that while the weather on the California coast is idealic as slo states, just go inland and everything changes drastically. I was born and raised, and still live, in California's Central Valley and it is HOT HOT HOT from May through the end of September and sometime even into October. By hot I mean 100+ degrees for days on end. The ac comes on in May and goes off in late Sept. The difference in temperature between San Louis Obispo and Paso Robles (slightly east of slo) is probably 15 to 20 degrees in the summer. Paso is where we always roll up our windows and turn on the car ac when coming back from the ocean. There is no place nicer as far as weather goes than the central California coast, but you better have some bucks if you want to live there. I wish I could afford to live in Morro Bay.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
SLO = San Louis Obispo, correct? I'd like to let everyone know that while the weather on the California coast is idealic as slo states, just go inland and everything changes drastically. I was born and raised, and still live, in California's Central Valley and it is HOT HOT HOT from May through the end of September and sometime even into October. By hot I mean 100+ degrees for days on end. The ac comes on in May and goes off in late Sept. The difference in temperature between San Louis Obispo and Paso Robles (slightly east of slo) is probably 15 to 20 degrees in the summer. Paso is where we always roll up our windows and turn on the car ac when coming back from the ocean. There is no place nicer as far as weather goes than the central California coast, but you better have some bucks if you want to live there. I wish I could afford to live in Morro Bay.
I live in the Valley and during the peak of summer the heat can get brutal. I am talking 103 degree weather. So I know what you mean. But still there is little humidity and compared to Texas where it's a sauna and mosquitoes are swarming around and locusts making those god awful sounds ringing in your ear, coupled with terrible allergies, the summers in Texas are nothing short of miserable.

I do have to say that the sun in California is really harsh. I don't know if it's because of the dry heat but it beats on you like a magnifying glass on an ant. I get tan in less than no time out here. I've never felt the sun on my back quite like this in Texas.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,870,193 times
Quote:
I live in the Valley and during the peak of summer the heat can get brutal. I am talking 103 degree weather. So I know what you mean. But still there is little humidity and compared to Texas where it's a sauna and mosquitoes are swarming around and locusts making those god awful sounds ringing in your ear, coupled with terrible allergies, the summers in Texas are nothing short of miserable.

I do have to say that the sun in California is really harsh. I don't know if it's because of the dry heat but it beats on you like a magnifying glass on an ant. I get tan in less than no time out here. I've never felt the sun on my back quite like this in Texas.
I will be the first to agree with you that the summers in TX are absolutely miserable, but far West Texas and the Panhandle are hot as hell, but not humid. It's an oven heat rather than a sauna one. I have the best weather in the state (Trans-Pecos) where I live...but having said that, I miss upper NW New Mexico/Four Corners as far as climate goes. It doesn't get any better. Fairly cold winters, hot summers, glorious falls, windy springs. The summers are hot, but the heat is later in the day, and it cools rapidly once the sun goes down. It also didn't get over 99 while I lived there.

And yes, San Diego/SLO/other parts of CA have GREAT weather, relatively temperate. But by the same token, there are no four seasons in such areas, and that's what I miss the most, too. In NM, I had very distinct seasonal changes. I'd be bored to death with constantly nice weather day after day, LOL!!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:15 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,445,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

Thats true it is hot in the central valley, I grew up between Stockton and Lodi, but........its not nearly as hot as Texas. The daytime temps may look similar, but its hot all night here. The valley cools down at night even in the dead of summer where you can open the windows and turn off the AC. Not so much here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or