Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,936,333 times

Advertisements

Good lord the Texas boosting has surely made poets of y'all.

Quote:
You can't go to a lake or a state park in Dallas? And you can't go to the beach or a state park in Houston? Are you sure you have been to these places?
The thing is that a lot of people in Houston, where I grew up, didn't just say on the weekends they were going to the beach without planning it a week in advance. Or want to drive all that way without staying the night if they had plans to hit the strip. Point is that I can party all night near the beach at a Santa Monica club and be home by in less than half an hour. I do that on the weekdays sometimes. It's not a big deal.

I know that to you guys making a commute long ways for more than an hour is nothing but in LA no one even wants to drive to a place of its more than thirty mins away.

I don't understand why you guys don't get this? I'm not Texas bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
What? Even here in Angelo theres lakes and state parks to go to. As well as some really nice city parks all along the Concho river.
Ok let me say this again; in the major metro areas.....mainly Dallas and Houston, visiting places on a whim takes a little more planning

Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 6,338,377 times
Quote:
I know that to you guys making a commute long ways for more than an hour is nothing but in LA no one even wants to drive to a place of its more than thirty mins away.
I think you are projecting entirely too much of LA on your personal experiences. My family lives in North Hollywood - they drive 1.5 hours each way to get to their private school a day. Long commutes are an LA "thing", and 30 minutes counts as average to short.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,683,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ok let me say this again; in the major metro areas.....mainly Dallas and Houston, visiting places on a whim takes a little more planning
I agree with many of the points you have made in this thread, but this one doesn't seem to jibe with my experience of the metro areas in question. Specifically, LA is a traffic nightmare, even worse than DFW and Houston. Sure, you can have a really wide variety of outdoor experiences w/in a 30 minute time frame--hitting the beach in Santa Monica, then Mountain Biking/trail running in the coastal Mountains nearby. There's no doubt about that. If that's your point, I agree. In TX, you just can't do that. But getting around the LA metro area is super clumsy.

I have to say, the exchange between you and CaptnRon has been very interesting for me. I nod along in agreement to both of you.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think you are projecting entirely too much of LA on your personal experiences. My family lives in North Hollywood - they drive 1.5 hours each way to get to their private school a day. Long commutes are an LA "thing", and 30 minutes counts as average to short.
When it comes to your child's education and not dealing with the terrible LAUSD system, parents will drive anywhere.

What I know is that I live in north Hollywood and I know what times to hit the beach. On the freeway without major traffic 35 mins tops. Without the freeway going my shortcuts through the city 50 mins at the most. Hiking, less than 10.

There's no contest. But that's not the point. LA has the crappiest job market, gas is near five bucks, and rent makes inner loop Houston look cheap. Is rather have work than scenery.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 PM

3,245 posts, read 5,582,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
I assume that youre directing that to the poster that I quoted and not me. If its me then you misunderstood my post and might want to check my posting history and you'll see how much I love Texas.

Not to you Two4 . mia culpa

Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM

85 posts, read 130,688 times
Texans are generally friendlier. Coming from reserved New England, I was taken aback. Still remember how brutal those summers were. One of two things keeping me from considering moving out there.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM

795 posts, read 1,576,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Not to you Two4 . mia culpa
Its ok, no problem. I was just making sure. lol

Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,050,447 times
We have been in Texas 18 years, our 4 kids were all born here and we have thoroughly enjoyed our time in the great state of Texas. However,we have chosen to relocate back to California. Next month we will pack up and head back to the central coast of California. We have a myriad of reasons for leaving. All of the typical pros and cons for California are true to a certain extent and we go back with a full perspective of both states.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
We have been in Texas 18 years, our 4 kids were all born here and we have thoroughly enjoyed our time in the great state of Texas. However,we have chosen to relocate back to California. Next month we will pack up and head back to the central coast of California. We have a myriad of reasons for leaving. All of the typical pros and cons for California are true to a certain extent and we go back with a full perspective of both states.
Why are the top reasins for leaving Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas