Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 19,417 times

Advertisements

I am a (soon-to-be) full-time, telecommuting, computer professional considering enrolling part-time at TAMU for a traditional masters degree in computer science or engineering.

I have found a plethora of student housing and apartments close to campus, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know where the loud, undergraduate residential areas are and where the professionals or graduate student/professors mostly reside.

I work 40 to 50 hours a week and that will not be decreasing, so I need a place that's quiet day and night, with the fastest-in-town internet connectivity. As stated before, the commute to campus cannot be long (max 30 minutes from my door to the classroom.) I am willing to purchase an annual, reserved parking spot.

Apartment complexes, condos and duplexes are fine as long as the neighborhood is peaceful. Even houses are good (they're usually the quietest) as long as they are within my commute and price limits.

Where I live now, there are lots of nurses, teachers and other professionals. Neighborhoods with studious graduates and mature undergrads are fine too. I'm single and over 40, if that has any bearing.

I'm looking at paying no more than $1200 monthly (and preferably less) for a large 1/1, or normal 2/2 residence.

If you are familiar with Austin, I'm looking for a place similar to UTs grad neighborhoods: Far West, Hyde Park, North Shoals Creek, North Loop (which I am considering also, but that's for another thread.)

Where are the quiet areas that still have close access (maybe by bus) to campus?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 03:21 PM

130 posts, read 295,212 times
look into the Northeast side of College Station. Northgate is the entertainment district so avoid that area. However there are some quiet older apartments on the northside within walking distance to A&M. it has been 5 years since I left A&M so i couldn't tell you where.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the warning, tx09. I was considering Northgate since its so close.

I'll keep that Northeast-of-campus area that you mentioned in mind.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,953 times
I lived in Wolf Creek Condos(close to the HEB) south east of the campus and paid $1180 for 2/2. It was over the average and you will find cheaper places.I choose it because I wanted an apartment close to a supermarket as I did not have a car.

If you go far north east or more south(close to shipley donuts) than I did you'll get the cheapest/more quiet areas.

Just avoid the area close to North Gate...lots of crazy kids

Old 05-16-2014, 01:28 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
The main campus is basically a large square, bounded by University Dr, Texas Ave, George Bush Dr., and Wellborn Rd. In general if you live at least one block off those four roads you will have a reasonable chance of a non-rowdy place to live.

My son lived in an apartment his last three years at A&M. The last one was the "Trails at Wolf Pen Creek" and it was not noisy at all - and I was there on weekends most of the time.

I think a traditional apartment, or a duplex, is a better fit than one of the newer off campus private dorms. These try to be the place for everthing, including parties.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the information. It sounds like off campus, apart from the off campus dorms, BCS is a pretty low-key place. I've heard that TAMU students were courteous out and around town, but I didn't expect that to extend to being quiet and considerate (for the sake of their non-student neighbors) in their domiciles.

Not to offend anyone that age, but most college aged folks are still learning that sub-woofers and at-home gyms aren't made for apartment living.

That says a lot for the town and the school.

Now my only consideration is going to be whether socializing/dating as a 40+ in a college town is something I want to endure. I shouldn't have too much of a problem, but as I said before, I've lived in buildings with other professional singles for a while, so I've had it pretty easy (ie. I've gotten lazy.) From looking at POF and Match.com, I may be traveling to Houston and Austin some. I'm not about to complain though. If I move there, it's my decision. I know what I'm getting into. If its a problem, I'll move again. It's that simple.

I am considering other cities to move to and pursue a degree, but the pluses for TAMU right now are: the good rating and incredibly low cost of an masters in their engineering school (~$6000 out-of-state / $3000 in-state per year is very appealing to my budget), the relative affordability of preferred housing in and around BCS compared to the aforementioned other cities, and the proximity to Houston's Frys, Micro Center, Altex and EPO (some place I found on yelp.com) to geek out in.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
I have no idea what the dating scene is like in BCS for a 40+ person. One thought is that there are a lot of people that age that work/teach on campus. Northgate is a college kids area - much like 6th street in Austin.

One thing that has changed greatly over the last decade or so is that food has improved dramatically. And it isn't students that eat at Christopher's World Grill or Maddens Casual Gourmet. These are fine restaurants that I would regularly go to in Austin.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 PM

That's what I'm thinking regarding the older dating scene. It sounds like small town everywhere.

Its good to know about the quality restaurants, though. I've heard the food selection in town is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas