Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas summers versus Midwest/Northeast winters
Texas 93 76.23%
North/Midwest 29 23.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,945,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I'd choose neither.

Texas summer heat and Midwestern cold are both absolutely miserable in different ways.

The cold in the west is much better--northern NM, CO, northern AZ, etc. Temps do drop, but it's generally a dry cold with powdery snow--much easier to tolerate than anything the Midwest/NE have to offer.
ya Ive been in sub-zero temps in the mountains of Colorado and it did not feel bad at all cuz I dressed for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 PM

816 posts, read 1,941,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
ya Ive been in sub-zero temps in the mountains of Colorado and it did not feel bad at all cuz I dressed for it.
Northern Midwest, such as Chicago, are pretty windy as oppose to the mountains in Colorado. It is a huge factor in terms of temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The West Coast of Peru and Chile has that kind of climate.
Sure do. Also, Quito in Equador has one of the best climates in the world. The average temperature at noon is 65 F with a normal night-time low of 48.7 °F.

Too bad, it's not the United States.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,228,172 times
This is the number one reason for my relocation to South Texas. I miss summer and autumn in New England, but cold just immobilizes me. You're more likely to stay home and hibernate on weekends.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Northern Midwest, such as Chicago, are pretty windy as oppose to the mountains in Colorado. It is a huge factor in terms of temperature.

Sure do. Also, Quito in Equador has one of the best climates in the world. The average temperature at noon is 65 F with a normal night-time low of 48.7 °F.

Too bad, it's not the United States.
ya I should know that because here in Midland we get brutal wind chills a lot of the time.Denver is prolly the coldest place that I could make it....I could never live in places like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and Duluth.Ive been to the Midwest during the winter but never those places you mentioned.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Yep, pretty much. We did have a short hailstorm with golf ball sized hail mixed with smaller hail which was followed by some rain which really cooled us off. Didnt last very long though. We had 82mph wind gusts for 5 minutes too. lol
We can do w/o the hail--but the rain sure is nice. We are predicted to get some early next week.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM

795 posts, read 1,579,013 times
Quote:
We can do w/o the hail--but the rain sure is nice. We are predicted to get some early next week.
Yep that what I'm hearing for here too. .

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM

368 posts, read 829,052 times
Heat-I'll take it any day of the week.

Let me list the ways I despise cold and all it reaps.
1. Shoveling snow-heart attack waiting to happen.
2. Falling on ice-know two people this last winter who broke bones. No fun.
3. Driving in it-the salt destroys vehicles and just because you think your'e the best driver doesn't mean everyone else is.
4. Hibernating- like a bear and adding a good 10-20 pounds on your frame.
5. Cold hard on joints. Where every move feels like something is going to snap.
6. Crossing fingers hoping nothing breaks down-NOBODY likes working on anything outdoors in 20 below temps.
7. Planning appts-canceling appts due to weather.

There is a great show called Life Below Zero on Discovery. It follows different groups of people and their struggles with the elements and cold in general.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
We were staying in Pagosa Springs many years ago on a skiing trip. The old hotel is gone, but it had outdoor hot springs (now part of whatever the resort is there now). It was below zero. I went from my room to the pool area in a Speedo and terry bathrobe. The cold was so dry that I barely felt it.

The cold in WT is a little more humid, but still nothing compared to a Midwestern wet cold. Every bone and old injury I had just screamed. I would never, ever live up there, upper OR lower Midwest. It's just as bad or worse than 6 months of Texas summer.

Our nights are still nice and cool--48 when I went outside at 6:30am! Best weather in the state, even if hotter than I like!

Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
We were staying in Pagosa Springs many years ago on a skiing trip. The old hotel is gone, but it had outdoor hot springs (now part of whatever the resort is there now). It was below zero. I went from my room to the pool area in a Speedo and terry bathrobe. The cold was so dry that I barely felt it.

The cold in WT is a little more humid, but still nothing compared to a Midwestern wet cold. Every bone and old injury I had just screamed. I would never, ever live up there, upper OR lower Midwest. It's just as bad or worse than 6 months of Texas summer.

Our nights are still nice and cool--48 when I went outside at 6:30am! Best weather in the state, even if hotter than I like!
Ya, I have a hard time with the cold here.Hopefully, I will be able to do better when we have a normal mild to warm winter.Thats good that you live in your best Texas climate....mine would prolly be San Antone year round and Corpus in the summer.Ya, the humidity for sure makes the cold feel much worse.I could never make it in Minnesota but Southern Missouri near the Arkansas border maybe cold-wise.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ya, I have a hard time with the cold here.Hopefully, I will be able to do better when we have a normal mild to warm winter.Thats good that you live in your best Texas climate....mine would prolly be San Antone year round and Corpus in the summer.Ya, the humidity for sure makes the cold feel much worse.I could never make it in Minnesota but Southern Missouri near the Arkansas border maybe cold-wise.
Ummm.....Missouri? Still pretty chilly. I loved this past winter here, and I'm hoping we have colder winters more often than not to balance out the hot, never-ending summers. Might not be that hot here in Alpine, but it's still a lot hotter than I like.

I'm getting ready to find out what Corpus is like these days, after not having been there since 1983.

Sis is leaving Austin and moving to Corpus/Padre Island! I won't go until later on in the fall, after it's cooled off down there a bit.

San Antonio is completely miserable from April to the end of October--hot and very humid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas