Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,107,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The UAE is a backwards country with a horrible human rights record, and they will NEVER be as good as us as long as they stay that way.
It's certainly no longer a "backward country" and in point of fact it is an Emirate, NOT a country, to wit:
Quote:
Although Dubai's economy was historically built on the oil industry, the emirate's Western-style model of business drives its economy with the main revenues now coming from tourism, aviation, real estate, and financial services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 AM

213 posts, read 385,275 times
Texas was more like UAE in the early 80s when the money and oil pipeline to development and growth was thought to be infinite. Obviously the oil bust and savings and loan crisis chastened us even during the national 1980s boom.

Texas is a bit wiser these days.

Its unlike UAE on so many levels.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
The top-down control in the UAE vs. the free market in Texas make them completely dissimilar.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 6,339,550 times
When I was there, Dubai was more like Las Vegas or a fake city than any place in TX. Maybe like the Florida coast during the last housing bust as I visited both during the same timeperiod. Basically tons of tall buildings with no lights on at night, so you know they are all empty. Also the coastal fancy area is very small, and the rest is low rise sprawl city like the Vas Vegas strip, and the workers live outside of town in a hovel. Sort of like the oil fields in North Dakota. So Dubai, at least when I visited, doesn't have a single direct US counterpart.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,196,299 times
Default Not the same...

I've been to AD several times, and though I never lived there (I work for an oil company), I would not say they are the same. However, the point you made about Houston's Inner Loop rings of some truth, but probably exaggerated.

The Eleanor Tinsley Park is becoming Houston's Central Park, it is always lively, much more than in the past. I used to ride my bike through there ten plus years ago, now its a different story, there is traffic on the trails! There are also tons of young people living in and around Midtown/Montrose, and they have built massive amounts of apartment housing in the area. Houston is getting more dense by the month for sure.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
It's certainly no longer a "backward country" and in point of fact it is an Emirate, NOT a country, to wit:
It is a country, but feel free to call it what you want

Slavery, the death penalty for being gay, and giving public beatings for petty crimes are savage inexcusable acts that ARE backwards

Not a good country at all

Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,778,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Texas was more like UAE in the early 80s when the money and oil pipeline to development and growth was thought to be infinite. Obviously the oil bust and savings and loan crisis chastened us even during the national 1980s boom.

Texas is a bit wiser these days.

Its unlike UAE on so many levels.
I agree. Texas payed for it in the 80's but a good thing that came out of it is that we learned from it. This is a big reason why Texas fared better in the recession. I don't think we will ever have another boom like we had in the early 80's. And that's a good thing for a stable economy.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,938,122 times
I think you guys are taking the comparison a little to literally. I stand corrected though. Texas is not like UAE.

Point is though, that Texas is going through an unprecedented growth that's making it a lively active and vibrant place. With that you see the relative growth of a new moneyed professional class. Basically that its a boom town

Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Quote:
Point is though, that Texas is going through an unprecedented growth that's making it a lively active and vibrant place. With that you see the relative growth of a new moneyed professional class. Basically that its a boom town
Houston and Dallas, in particular, have been active and vibrant for decades, with each generation have a 'moneyed professional class'. Austin has been 'booming' for 100 years now, give or take a few - the actual percent growth has been surprisingly consistent. The only real difference in the Dallas/Houston and Austin situation is that Austin is just now starting to cross the mid-sized to large city threshold. Dallas/Houston have been there a long time....

Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,107,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It is a country, but feel free to call it what you want
I was focused on Dubai, which is one of the seven emirates forming the United Arab Emirates.
And this thread has been focused on an attempt to compare the emirate of Dubai to the state of Texas.

Quote:
The constituent emirates are Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain. The capital is Abu Dhabi, which is one of the two centers of commercial and cultural activities, together with Dubai.
As others have pointed out, trying to compare Dubai and Texas is as futile as trying to compare the UAE and USA!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas