Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM

176 posts, read 631,840 times

Advertisements

So, I got my tickets for my trip to TX, Jan 3-15. My friend who I was going with bailed on me though, so I'd like to camp out as much as possible while I'm down there to save on costs.

Sorta waiting to see how the weather turns out before making solid plans, but I wanted to check out as much of East Texas and the gulf coast north of Corpus Christi (maybe a little south of it even) as I could. Won't have much gear though, so won't be doing any fishing or what have you. Just sight-seeing, hiking, sampling the local cuisine, that sort of thing.

So with that in mind, can anyone recommend some good campgrounds that'd show off the state (or maybe some that'd show the worst of the state?). There were some mentioned in the thread where I was wondering about the viability of camping, but looking for some more ideas. Needs to be accessible by car. As long as it gets above 55-60* during the day the weather's fine enough by me, though 70 would be great.

Some cheap, decent hotels would be greatly appreciated too though . Just in case.

Really appreciate the nice restaurant lists here. They'll be invaluable.

This board has been really helpful. Glad there's a resource like it, and if Texans are anywhere near this friendly I'm sure I'll be hooked .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Other than Goose Island State Park and Mustang Island State Park I really don't have any other recommendations. The Texas Parks and Wildlife site has lots and lots of information, if you haven't already been there. I don't think reservations for car camping will be necessary at this time of year, but you can always double check that.

As far as cheap motels go, your best bet is some of the cheap chains like Red Roof Inn. If you're in CC, you'll see cheap motels on Leopard St., but I'd stay away from those because they're mostly flop houses for drug users and prostitutes. Sad, but true. Corpus Christi Beach (also called North Beach) has some cheap motels, which may also be creepy, but I'm not sure. There may also be some cheap motels this time of year in Rockport, Aransas Pass, Ingleside and Port Aransas, all small communities north of CC. Just check online before you leave home.

Hope you have a good trip.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
If you are going to camp, definitely go the the TPWD site and try to plot out where you think you will be and what is close (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/). You may be more input if you ask questions about specific parks, too. I think there is an annual pass you may be able to buy that might save you some money if you are going to camp quite a bit. Check out the park pass, it looks like it cost $60 and then you don't have to pay the day pass fee (so you can drive in and out w/o paying) and may save you 50% on at least a limited number of camping permits...it is not completely clear, so you would have to call them. The link below is to the pass info page, but the Q&A is probably the most useful: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/p...sses/parkpass/

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
JM, A word of advice: don't come here to the Gulf coast expecting the Oregon coast!!! Don't even expect east coast quality. Nor South Florida Gulf coast. Expect uber-flat grass/weed lands with poopy-brown water that has a hint of stink on it. I wouldn't even get in any TX coast water without a completely sealed suit, but that's just me. The further "up" the Texas coast, the browner and more questionable it gets. But the beaches/sand should be fairly clean at least. Beware of some of the sugar coaters in here! Coming from Oregon, especially, just prepare to be unimpressed.

You'll much likely be more impressed with certain spots of the piney woods.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:15 PM

I was just thinking there might be some favorites of posters here. I know some of my favorite campgrounds here in OR practically no one knows about, and wouldn't even think of when planning a trip. Like there's a small county park up in the mountains called spruce run that is great, but very few people have heard of it or would think of visiting it. Hard to find any information on it on the 'net too.

I'm not expecting OR...TX has a slightly better economy and much cheaper housing, somewhat better weather for me...if the outdoors are at least decent, I'll definitely be looking at it seriously as an option. I doubt there is any area that can compare to the NW for outdoors imo, probably because I've grown up here. I'd probably be visiting OR in the summer as much as I could...I'm guessing the summer in TX is the part I wouldn't like, and the summer in the NW is great, so...good vacation idea.

Sounds an awful lot like a mudflat though, from your description tstone, haha.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The coastal plains, they are called, and for good reason. The beaches, while not the prettiest, are nice in that they are not very crowded (in most places). If you like kayaking, there are amazing ecosystems up and down the coast in the bays and estuaries. The water is typically brown, but it is not pollution so much as the natural mud and silt from the rivers and the very fine grain of the gulf coast sand. A mile or so off shore, it is very clear.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:25 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Try Pioneer Rv resort in Port Aransas. They have a few cabins up for rent. Lots of RV parks these days do so it might be a better rate for a cabin.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The water is typically brown, but it is not pollution so much as the natural mud and silt from the rivers and the very fine grain of the gulf coast sand. A mile or so off shore, it is very clear.
I wish more people understood this. One day on the Bolivar peninsula, I got an earfull from some people from up North that scolded "us Texans" for "turning our water brown with pollution." I tried to politely explain its natural due to gulf stream flows, but they wouldn't listen at all...

Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Hands down the best camp ground is Wolf Creek Park in Coldspring. It is run by the TRA who controls the water storage on beautiful Lake Livingston. The Lake Livingston State Park is not so bad either.

On the Bolivar Penninsula look for the Crystal Canal RV Resort. Get yourself a canal front site and enjoy life. Last time we were there there was a club having a cookout in the enclosed pavilion and welcomed us strangers inside to share in their feast. Blue Claw Crabs, Drum Fish and Flounder and yuck Crawfish. Texas folks are certianly very friendly. I will never forget the hospitality of those people at this resort who practically forced us to join them.

Good walking and just taking in the sites. Watch the tugs plow by making huge wake and everyone is fishing and actually catching fish.

My favorites.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

The brown water all over does seem a little weird, but didn't look like pollution to me. Those cold, clear mountain streams here sure do look pretty...then you try swimming in them...so damn cold...

I have heard from many Texans that the north gulf coast is very polluted, but then they say how all the water in OR is so damn polluted...and I've never had a problem with it. Sure, near Portland there's pollution, but aside from that it's pretty clean here. I know there are a lot of communities that put up warnings about pollution or red tide or whatever during tourist season to stop the tourists from fishing or clamming or whatever...maybe that's what they're seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas