Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterguy66 View Post
I was reading somewhere that some states have established some type of programs or something that allows people from neighboring states to receive a bit lower tuition. I do live in Louisiana, so I am curious if Texas has something like that, but I am having a hard time finding anything online.
Some Texas universities (Texas Tech and Sul Ross are two that I know of) have a reciprocal agreement with New Mexico counties that border Texas. They allow students from only these bordering counties to pay in-state tuition.

I hadn't thought about Louisiana, and I don't know whether there is some sort of agreement for tuition breaks. If not, you're looking at a mininum 12-month waiting period, and you'll have to provide proof of same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
would that apply to community colleges as well, though?
You'll have to go to individual websites to be sure, but generally YES.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I was reading somewhere that some states have established some type of programs or something that allows people from neighboring states to receive a bit lower tuition. I do live in Louisiana, so I am curious if Texas has something like that, but I am having a hard time finding anything online.
You really need to go to each individual school's website and look up their residency requirements for both instate rates AND tuition assistance plans. They vary, but generally speaking, you are going to have to live in Texas for at least 12 months to avoid paying out of state tuition. Maybe longer if you need tuition assistance. There are a few schools that make some exceptions for residents of neighboring states but those tend to be close to those state lines.

In other words, don't move here with plans to attend college without doing your homework on the front end, or you may be in for a very rude awakening.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Some Texas universities (Texas Tech and Sul Ross are two that I know of) have a reciprocal agreement with New Mexico counties that border Texas. They allow students from only these bordering counties to pay in-state tuition.
Eastern New Mexico also gives in-state tuition to folks living in Texas within 135 of Portales, NM. Portales is about 100 miles from Lubbock.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
would that apply to community colleges as well, though?
Yes. You also have to be a resident of the county where the CC is located, at least for public institutions around here. I'm in Dallas County and I'd pay higher tuition if I wanted to take classes at Collin County Community College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You really need to go to each individual school's website and look up their residency requirements for both instate rates AND tuition assistance plans. They vary, but generally speaking, you are going to have to live in Texas for at least 12 months to avoid paying out of state tuition. Maybe longer if you need tuition assistance. There are a few schools that make some exceptions for residents of neighboring states but those tend to be close to those state lines.

In other words, don't move here with plans to attend college without doing your homework on the front end, or you may be in for a very rude awakening.
Yup...and some schools won't count the time spent as a student towards residency either. So better make damn sure you're a resident prior to matriculating!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Move to Austin. The city of full of young people with UT, ACC, and Texas State in San Marcos 20 miles south. Especially in central, near south, and east Austin. You are nearly tripping over young people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas