Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM

5,402 posts, read 13,220,490 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to stop paying attention to statistics on the city-data website. Longview shows to be very high in crime rates. Mesquite is a tad lower than the country's average. Here's the link to Longview:

Longview, Texas (TX) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Most of us want to live in a low crime area, and what do we really have to refer to except stats that, to me, tell me more than I already know. If they're not accurate, I haven't a clue, but it's really all one has to rely on until one lives in an area and possibly finds out personally or can be informed of such by someone who lives in the area as the OP is trying to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 15,838 times
Longview isn't as bad as the crime statistics make it out to be. The vast majority of the citizens never see the crime or deal with it. For the most part, the majority of the real crime (robberies, home burglaries, shootings, stabbings, murders, etc) happens near or south of Hwy 80. The north side of town still has its problems and its issues, but for the most part, you are a lot more likely to find a good neighborhood on the north side of town. Basically, let's just say that I wouldn't want to walk down 12th St alone and unarmed, but I wouldn't think twice about taking the dog out for an hour long walk off of Meandering Way.

If I were to rent an apartment in Longview right now, I would look into Pine Knoll (200 Village Drive), Summer Brook (HG Mosley/Bill Owens), Longfellow Arms (newer complex just north of Summer Green off of Hawkins) or Summer Green (105 E Hawkins Parkway). Pine Knoll has a few vehicle burglaries once in a while, Summer Brook typically has no calls for service (during the midnight shift), Longfellow Arms is gated (I havent gotten any calls there since it opened up), and Summer Green is mostly good except for a few noise disturbances and party disturbances on occasion. In order of preference (regardless of price): Longfellow Arms, Summer Brook, Pine Knoll, Summer Green

If I were to buy a house, I would look for anything off of 4th St, Hollybrook, or Hawkins (or surrounding streets of previously mentioned roads) or in the area that makes up from Gilmer Rd to Judson (west to east) and Fairmont to Loop 281 (south to north). The areas previously mentioned receive very few calls for service during my shift (not counting calls to Longview Regional Medical Center).

As far as daytime calls for service in any of the areas/complexes during daytime hours, I do not know as I have been working the midnight shift since I started working at the pd.

Longview is a good town to live in. Come visit and look around. We won't bite!

These statements are my own personal opinion and are not meant in any way, shape, or form, nor shall they be construed, to reflect those of my employer or that of the City of Longview.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 15,805 times
Whatever you do, DON'T move to Gladewater, TX. The Police Department is abusive; settled out of court for a racial murder committed by an officer on duty with an asualt rifle in 2007, and so many more depredations, such as home invasion, that are pending civil actions. Taxes are high, and the local High School is rated "unacceptable" in this State, which ranks 50th of all the States. Gladewater is not a place I could reccomend.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 52,419 times
thank you so much for all your replies! teh5oh thanks for all the information it is really helpful, we're gonna go look those apartments, do you (or anyone in the forum) have any info on regency park apartments? my first option would be Longfellow arms because is gated and the apartments are beautiful, but it'll be better if we can get something a little less pricey, we are considering pine knoll also, but opinions are still welcome, we have till june to decide, so if anyone has opinions about these or other apartments, or live in one of those apartments please tell me your experience with them. thank youuuu

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 37,363 times
My husband, 16 year old, and myself are moving from Longview. We have lived off and on again in the area due to relocation with my husbands job for the past 26 years. We lived in the Willow Lake Apartments for several months between houses. Willow Lake is centered in Longview. It is close to the Mall, close to Downtown, close to shopping, close to the best meat market, Skinners. The apartments are on a small lake, right in the middle of town. The property is very strict. There are two sides. One that has mostly older folks and really no properties on the lake, the other a bit younger with patios right on the water. We loved it there. You could fish right out your patio. The ducks sometimes keep you up at night but if you like birds it is very enjoyable. Another plus is the utilities are paid or at least they were. Good Luck

Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 37,363 times
Willow Lake is located on the corner of Dellwood St. and Judson Rd. It is in the vacinity of Hollybrook and 4th which is the area other postings have suggested on renting a house. We had no problems there other than the ducks sometimes being loud. We had several hard rains while there and no flooding. The manager at the time was very strict. I understand that she no longer is the manager. My daughter was 12/13 at the time we lived there. We lived on the east side of the lake. She attended a private school in Longview, although some of her friends attended public school. We had two small dogs and they had plenty of room to walk on the property. All in all I enjoyed living at Willow Lake and wouldn't hesitate to move back.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 15,453 times
Default Dont live in South Longview

I understand your concerns for the crime rate in Longview. The crime rate in Longview is high, and it does have it's fair share of problems, but like the other post said, it's not in the entire city.

I am a police officer and used to work for Longview P.D., and I think the advise of dont live south of HWY 80 is pretty good. There are some "fair" housing areas south of 80, but for the most part it's a pretty bad part of town. Most definately, anything south of Cotton Street.....that was sometimes referred to as "the front" because south of that, you didnt know what you were gonna run across. This is the area where you have your gang related homicides, drive-by's, narcotics, etc.

I lived in both Pine Knoll Apartments & Summer Brook Apartments. MY advise would be go with Summer Brook, they are VERY nice apartments....good management....and fairly quiet even though your between two fairly busy roadways (HG Mosley & Bill Owens Pkwy). Pine Knoll has a fairly consistent vehicle burglary problem, that has yet to hit Summer Brook.

In all, I lived in Longview for 4 years and it wasnt bad at all (for a country boy) :-). Longview is a GROWING TOWN and within the next 10 years will be even bigger so understand that crime is just apart of a big city. Protect yourself by locking doors, windows, and being aware of surroundings and you'll be just fine........as long as you dont drive down Harrison & Eckman Street at 2 o'clock in the morning! LOL! Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 66,213 times
I wouldn't worry too much about what people are saying if I were you. You really have to take some of these replies with a grain of salt. I am from East texas, Lufkin,Tx and know many towns and cities in east texas to be very christian centered, family oriented and good old hopitality. I too live in Mesquite, Tx and I and my family are getting ready to re-locate to Tyler, Tx. If your husband doesn't mind the drive you might consider Tyler. However, if I were you I would listen more to police reports rather than bitter people who had bad experiences. Just because one person got robbed does not mean everyone who lives in certain areas of Longview will be robbed. I would just pray about it and follow your heart.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 37,295 times
So have you moved to town yet? We think it's fine as far as crime goes. We were used to hearing about drive-by's in Flint, MI all the time. Just moved here 2 yrs ago. Seems there's not much to do, though, unless you're involved in church or city-groups? My aunt had someone try to come in her townhouse, but ran off at the first "get outta here." But we live in a nice n'hood and haven't had any problems at all.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,627 times
Default Moving to Longview or Tyler??

My family and I are planning to move to Longview or Tyler. We're just not sure which is the "better" of the two. I work in Longview, but not sure if Longview is where I want to move my family. I've been to Tyler a few times and it seems to be somewhat different than Longview. We would like to hear the pros and cons on both areas. Why you would chose one over the other? Please feel free to speak you mind.

Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas