Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 63,003 times

Advertisements

I live in texarkana, and have lived here my whole life.

Pleasant Grove is one of the nicer places to live, if you get in the right neighborhood. But some spots have gone to crap.

As far as schools go, i went there for 5 years, and i wouldn't send my kids there. My brother was on the football team, and graduated with honors.. but says the same thing, he would't send his son there.

I moved to Red Lick, and that's where i would send my kids if I had any. BUT Red Lick doesn't have a high school. So then I would have to say Pleasant Grove would be the best option.

Texas High is HUGE, but i don't know about the atmosphere of the school. They have metal detectors and guards, but isn't that the norm for most schools now? At Texas High they'll get a lot more opportunities than anywhere else, since they have a lot more classes to offer.

If you're looking for a house, the best places to start looking:

texarkanagazette.com - look through the classifieds
txkrealestate.com - has almost all the listings for the whole area
texarkanahomes4u.com

hope this helps someone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM

12 posts, read 51,919 times
why are you moving there if you already don't feel 'safe'? Is it maybe because you just have a fear PROBLEM? Or maybe because you are afraid of blacks? Stop being rude. You are already insinuating Texarkana is hostile/volitale/or-is-after-you.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 42,923 times
theposts have been helpful is making my relocation to Texas a bit smoother. I am wondering, after reading the posts, are there many teaching positions in Texarkana? My husband and I are relocating to the area within the next year. He is retiring from the military and I want to keep teaching (elementary). Any suggestions on where to look for employment as a teacher?
Any help will be great!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 51,919 times
Well, like one user already posted, there are a few elementary schools so I would assume there would be some, though, of course, not a lot, of teaching jobs. But just stay home, like a woman should.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM

123 posts, read 359,153 times
Yeah Texarkana is growing at a good pace. When I was a kid which was about 20 yrs ago this town was very dead. It's still not much on attractions or night life but it's a little better than it used to be. There are plans for a waterpark to be built here but at least the kiddies might enjoy that. We're getting a new 4 yr Texas A&M University plus lots of stores including a very large shopping complex, hotels out the yazoo and other industries are moving in. I hope you and your family like it here.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
It's a lot bigger than what it once was, especially on the Texas side. They are heavy on amenities the further west you go on I-30. More infrastructure is supposed to be on the way, with the extension of Interstate 49 from Shreveport to Kansas City, and Texarkana is expected to be one of the stops.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
For teaching positions........google Region VIII Education Service Center, click on 'employment.' There are many schools within commuting districts with Reg VIII.....the districts and their current openings are listed on that site. It will give you some insight as to what schools there are in the area. The salaries in that area are not much above state minimum (in Texas, the local district can supplment the state minimum salary if they are able).

Old 05-21-2009, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 38,589 times
Texarkana is not a place for education. If you like drugs and infidelity, Texarkana's just right for you! Stay away from Arkansas side! It's the PITS.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 18,751 times
Texarkana has some growth on I-30, but its all retail. There are virtually no jobs, the housing is cheap, but comparing similar houses in other areas its not that the houses cost less as much as the community is dominated by old, poorly kept up houses. The papermills in domino and Ashtown provide a fragrant aroma several times a week to monthly. The local community college (Texarkana College) is a typical community college and does a fine job. The university has a lot of potential, however, its unrealized. Most majors have one or fewer faculty...yes that is correct. There is also a severe enrollment problem; no one wants to attend the school. They are trying to be an engineering school, but they barely have the resources to be a business tech school. Currently building buildings that enrollment tuition income will not support. This is Texarkana. A town with many big ideas, but that lost its thrust before the dustbowl rolled in. Truman Arnold and Ross Perot are wonderful people that do what they can for the community, but it needs a huge influx of new ideas. There is this idea that he town will grow like crazy once the I64 corridor is completed...oops it was shelved, and last scheduled to bypass Texarkana altogether. I do not hate Texarkana, I like living in the ruralsy area with approximately 50/50 white black ratio. There is clear racism in town though. The State Line cemetary has an old "negro cemetary" as they call it here. The "white" section is trimmed and taken care of whereas the "black' area is overgrown and virtually uncared for. When college students volunteered to clean it up, they were turned away. Texarkana is somewhat of a closed community in the bible belt. It is run by a small segment of the city and the rest just get poorer. The other day, i counted the downtown buildings and better than 60% are vacant, and have been for over a decade. Some of the buildings had to be knocked down they were in such disarray, but the city left up the fronts so that the "skyline" and mainstreet look would remain. I really don't see what they are trying to preserve. I'll take a picture sometime and post it here for you to see. The downtown is pretty run down.

Having told you the bad things, there are many good things in this community, especially if you like the ultra-conservative bible-belt mentality that dominates everything. ex. The public university holds graduation in the Baptist church, with a prayer leading off the affair. This doesn't offend me, but it does offend many students.

I'm won't pretend to be unbiased. I like Texarkana, but I do not like the way some things work there. The community has much to offer, but after the better part of a decade, I'm gladly leaving.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 49,938 times
Texarkana is my hometown. I do not live there and have not for many years. I have been amazed at the growth in the I=30 corridor. Large employers in the area are Red River Army Depot, Cooper Tire and Rubber Co and two large paper mills.

Texas A&M- Texarkana is a growing four year college there.

I have always liked Texarkana and still go there to visit family.

Make no mistake however, this is a very conservative area. Texarkana is not Dallas or Houston and Friday night football is still the main form of entertainment in the fall.

One thing Texarkana does have is the wonderful Perot Theater. Check it out on the net. Ross Perot a native of Texarkana helped with the restoration. He ran for President once. He does not live in Texarkana now, but is a native.

I expect Texarkana will continue to grow, as the city is a crossroads of many highways. The city has air service to DFW and daily Amtrak train service.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas