Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Tens of thousands of kids being sent north across the border without parents, and we are supposed to take care of them instead of their own parents. All at the behest of the idiots in Washington, DC.

I am tired of my tax money being taken from my school district and sent to south Texas and the inner cities to educate illegals who are not paying taxes.

Call me a bigot if you want but I am tired of taking care of someone else's mess.
You've got lots of company in this! I'm sick and tired of it and everyone I know is too.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Everybody settle down.

This is a troll thread started by a hispanic gay fella who couldn't make it in Orlando and moved to a cold and lonely existence in crappy old Boston. Observation, not an attack.

Texas is doing just fine, huge economy, population growth that most of the world desires and natural resources to boot!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Everybody settle down.

This is a troll thread started by a hispanic gay fella who couldn't make it in Orlando and moved to a cold and lonely existence in crappy old Boston. Observation, not an attack.

Texas is doing just fine, huge economy, population growth that most of the world desires and natural resources to boot!
Actually, Boston is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. Like any large city, it's got its less salubrious parts -- one can say the same of Houston. One thing I like about Boston is that it actually has good public transport. It also has a lot of history, beautiful architecture, great areas like Beacon Hill, and the beautiful harbor -- amongst many other salutary features.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:45 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Actually, Boston is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. Like any large city, it's got its less salubrious parts -- one can say the same of Houston. One thing I like about Boston is that it actually has good public transport. It also has a lot of history, beautiful architecture, great areas like Beacon Hill, and the beautiful harbor -- amongst many other salutary features.
I think were are going to disagree here, I have spend loads of time there and absolutely disliked it.

It's really not a large city, does it even break the top 20 by pop?

As for history and architecture it's fine but I actually prefer Philadelphia and DC, to a lesser degree Providence.

YMMV

Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I think were are going to disagree here, I have spend loads of time there and absolutely disliked it.

It's really not a large city, does it even break the top 20 by pop?

As for history and architecture it's fine but I actually prefer Philadelphia and DC, to a lesser degree Providence.

YMMV
I live a 40 minute drive (in good traffic) from Center City Philly, and don't much care for the place. It does have a great restaurant scene, and yes there's history and some major museums. However, I much prefer the ambience of Boston. DC is great, very walkable,has a great Metro system, a place that I spent significant years of my childhood, and the closest city that I really enjoy going to. We don't get up to Boston all that much because it's a pretty lengthy journey by train (although beautiful on Amtrak going along the Atlantic coastline), but I find it a really attractive city that feels a lot more genteel and much less gritty than Philly. Of course, we're not going to spend time in Southie or more dubious parts of Boston. I'd have to look at Boston's actual population to know if the city itself is in the top 20, but it's one of those cities that is hemmed in by a bunch of other towns, so the metro area is pretty big.

Here's a thought: I think we should generally refrain from insulting each other's states, cities, and regions, at least in broad, generalizing terms. A guy I know through my church often puts up stuff on Facebook about Texas politics and makes comments like, "This shows that Texas is a s--thole state..." He's actually a Connecticut Yankee whose lived in Philly for years. He's very socially inept, so I never say anything or challenge him on his broad denigration of the state in which I was born and spent the greater part of my life. We actually pretty much agree on political views, I think, and I sometimes post stuff on Facebook making fun of particular Texas politicians, but without the broadly denigrating comments. It actually hurts to feel that one is on the receiving end of these insults, even though those issuing them usually don't know what they're talking about (I doubt this guy has ever been in Texas). In the same way, I don't want to hear people broadly and ignorantly badmouthing Delaware, when they likely have no actual experience of the state. On the other hand, some people on forums like this one don't seem to understand even a nuanced critique and instead take it as an attack.

Last edited by doctorjef; 06-11-2014 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo11 View Post
States like Texas or Florida, without state income taxes, are more dependent on federal money than states with local taxes. Texas receive more federal money than it currently pays to the federal government.
State income taxes have nothing to do with net donor state or net recipient status. It has much more to do with what the federal government does in a a particular state - military bases, federal agencies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: