Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,738 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I ran across the land for sale out in Sierra Blanca. We have been looking for ranch land and this seems to fit the bill. Does anyone live out that way or have any info? We are looking at goats and are ready to start the process, but I would love to get as much info about the area as I can. I know it's a desolate place, but any info would be great!!!!

Thanks!
Frances Mc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
You would be wise to read through this earlier thread on the topic of Sunset Ranches in Hudspeth County, Texas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/el-paso/207230-help-land-ebay-west-texas-rip-2.html

You'll find references in the thread to earlier news articles on this land development, which is now a defunct company last I heard. There has been some recent activity with mining and mineral potential, but that too is questionable.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,875 times
Default Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranMac View Post
Hello. My husband and I ran across the land for sale out in Sierra Blanca. We have been looking for ranch land and this seems to fit the bill. Does anyone live out that way or have any info? We are looking at goats and are ready to start the process, but I would love to get as much info about the area as I can. I know it's a desolate place, but any info would be great!!!!

Thanks!
Frances Mc
You do know that this desert land? Do yourselves a big favor and at least visit the land in question before purchasing. Especially look at the availability of electricity and if water is available. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 13,738 times
Hi, rwr. Yes, we do know that it's desert land. We were planning on solar and from what I understand, most people have the tanker bring in water. We are looking at goats, so the land itself is better for them than where I live. They are really prone to hoof rot here. We are planning on coming out in the spring, I'm just trying to get all my research done. It's a 15 hour drive for us, so I want to do my "shopping" all at once. Thanks for the advice. Any tips that will help me adapt to the desert would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
I don't know much about that area, but I'm curious as to whether other people are raising goats there. From driving trips I've taken, I seem to recall seeing goats further to the east, where there is more grass (maybe Menard-Brady-Llano?).

Regarding water, I still chuckle when I recall a TV commercial from someone trying to sell "ranchettes" (or the like) near Van Horn in the 70s. Part of their pitch was "plenty of water, just across the road!". As if you could just take your neighbors water for free.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Why would you want goats to be forced to live in that horrible climate? That's animal abuse.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:29 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranMac View Post
Hi, rwr. Yes, we do know that it's desert land. We were planning on solar and from what I understand, most people have the tanker bring in water. We are looking at goats, so the land itself is better for them than where I live. They are really prone to hoof rot here. We are planning on coming out in the spring, I'm just trying to get all my research done. It's a 15 hour drive for us, so I want to do my "shopping" all at once. Thanks for the advice. Any tips that will help me adapt to the desert would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps you could reconsider goats--I know rattlesnakes do well out there. A rattlesnake ranch, maybe?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Texas is so big it has every city name possible - there are even two centervilles and one or two other duplicates.

Still open and unclaimed is Suckerville a fitting name for this place. Whoever has bought the largest number of worthless acres should be Mayor.Everyone who bought some land should have a title - maybe the OP would like to chair the zoning board - no zoning. Another could be in charge of roads and bridges ( there aren't any).

Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Still open and unclaimed is Suckerville a fitting name for this place.
Great post. I think people who choose to live in such deprivation are enthralled with the idea of self-immolation!
(a deliberate and willing sacrifice of oneself often by fire...)

Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Why would you want goats to be forced to live in that horrible climate? That's animal abuse.
Because they can live out there?

Or did you think that because you aren't quite that hardy that this applies to every other animal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas