Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

OP, you should definitely contact the Austin Tenants Council. They can answer your questions in a phone call. It sounds like the landlord has no idea about the laws he is bound by, and he needs to be educated and return your deposit (minus legitimate deductions, if there are any).

The law is that the landlord must return your deposit within 30 days of move-out. If your check from him isn't in the mail right now, then he is breaking the law.

Also, if the landlord had a dispute with the amount, he should have returned your check. At least during eviction processes, if a landlord accepts a rent payment (even a partial amount), it is like the tenant paid rent in full and the process must start over. So there is some significance in the fact that he cashed your check, IMO.

Hopefully you don't need to go to small claims court and a strongly worded letter with back up information will get the thing resolved. But if you did go to court, I believe you would have an excellent case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 19,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You haven't noted what state you're in but how long does a LL in your state have to return the deposit less any itemized deductions? You can find that in your state landlord tenant laws which you'll likely find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum. You left on May 18th and it's already June 17th which in many states is already over the time allowed. If you don't get the accounting within the time allowed the LL by default has to return your entire security deposit.

Texas, I still don't have anything, he stated that I will receive a "statement of deposit" this week, certified mail

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

he stated I would receive a "statement of deposit" certified mail this week, nothing as of right now

Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM

36 posts, read 56,744 times
I have to admit I'm a little curious about this whole "if sold" clause. I own/owned investment properties in other states, and it was my understanding in each of those locations that "if sold" clauses were not legal (though people routinely tried to put them in); the new owner has to honor the exitsing lease after sale.

Perhaps it's different in Texas....I'm interested to know. But if not, it was them that broke the contract illegally.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Nothing in my lease regarding if sold or anything like that

Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashay35 View Post
Texas, I still don't have anything, he stated that I will receive a "statement of deposit" this week, certified mail
TX landlords legally must return a tenant's security deposit within 30 days of the tenant leaving. If you do not receive anything from him by the end of today he has already defaulted since your official day of leaving was May 18th (even though you left on the 17th). Read your state landlord tenant laws to see how you should proceed. You can quickly google "TX security deposits" and have the first of many links in seconds.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Heh, he soooo totally screwed you. Do you have all his requests/demands in writing/emails, by any chance?

Edit: Btw, it has been many years, but in one case, my rental was a 'for sale or rent' type thing, and the contract gave me 30 days (iirc) to move out if the house was sold. It never was sold in the year that I was there, so I don't recall all the details. The second place had some language about what would happen if it was sold, but I might have been on a month-to-month the whole time there.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Yes I have all the text, he would also mainly have the realtor communicate with me vs him,

Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM

That's what I told him WITHIN 30 days he said he had 30days, it also states within 30 days in my lease

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Anyway, I guess it comes down to whether the landlord 'requested' that you move out and you agreed to it, in which case you essentially both agreed to void the contract (probably some clause in there about that being an option?) or whether he forced you out. Well, none of that applies to your deposit/prorated rent, but that should be one worried landlord willing to try to make you happy if they were the ones to breach the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: