U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM

12,718 posts, read 17,550,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
All 6 of those inches came down in less than an hour.
That was over a two week period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,508,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaz32 View Post
We are getting closer to retirement and have had people say TX may be a place to look at. I am kind of overwhelmed with the size of the state and all of the diversity. Guess my question is.......where would be an area that has outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, with a rural lifestyle yet within a reasonable driving distance of hospitals and other amentities? Reasonable here is 60-75 miles. My wife drives 125 miles a day round trip to work so for us it isn't all that far.
I am a farmer and will never get that lifestyle out of me. Looking to purchase a smaller farm or ranching operation just to keep me busy if nothing else. My home state of AZ has become a joke and I am wanting out of here.
I'll give some suggestions here. First, I'll say anywhere within 75 miles of Tyler. Tyler has really good med facilities. North of town and north of I-20 is Lake Fork which is one of the primo destinations for bass fishing in the US. There are a dozen other lake too. West and south of Tyler are lakes Athens and Palestine. East is Lake of the Pines and the giant Toledo Bend. Let's not forget Caddo Lake, formed by the New Madrid earthquake in 1812.

East Texas abounds with fishing opportunities. I often opt to fish instead of hunt. Because Texas has so little public land, especially compared to the western US, securing hunting lands often entail acquiring a lease. These are most often yearly and costs vary from the famed South Texas Brush Country Golden Triangle leases of over $10K/year (at least) to much more affordable west Texas , Panhandle, and East Texas leases. These can average $400- $1200 a year. Networking is the best way to find these.

Another area for consideration, IMO, would be the mid/upper-coast. There you can have some outstanding inshore saltwater fishing and nearby hunting available. Houston has the best medical facilities in the World. Surrounding Houston to the east and west are fabulous migratory bird hunting areas. Many folks travel 4-5 hours from that area to harvest deer during the Texas 2 month long deer season. They fan out to Central Texas and East Texas. Gardening will require some investigation and farming will be crop dependant. Pasture is luxurious in this area due to abundant rainfall.

I personally would shy away from The Hill Country just for the reasons of crowding (higher costs) and water (lack of) issues. The terrain would be more familiar to you though.

Farming:

East Texas is, by far, your best bet with much more water available (better water tables and much more rain). E. Tx soils are mostly sandy loam too. Great pasture land with high cow per acre yields. Coastal soils make good pasture but has a higher clay content (we call it gumbo soils) except right at the coast where there is more sand(and are prolific watermelon areas). Although rich, the soil is hard to work for vegetable type gardens and requires more maintenance to keep aerated. Nice blog on gumbo soils: Dealing with Gumbo Soil | Atexaspatriot's Blog

Central and South Texas areas have hard soils, rocky, and frequently face drought conditions. Between East Texas and Central Texas is called the Black Earth Prairie with great farming if rainfall is available. Keep in mind the further west in Texas the more arid. There is of course the possibility of finding pockets of land in areas that may not fit the general rule.

Now, sounding as if I have been less than fair with The CenTex region let me balance things by saying no where else in America has such a deer population ... especially considering the hunting pressure. I willingly bet that with a 2 acre plot bordering less developed land you could keep yourself in venison year 'round. Also the venison is pinker (more palatable) than the deer of East Texas which sport almost liver colored flesh.

I am a huge fan of all areas east of I 35 and more so east of I 45 . Visit, choose a region, see realtors, do online real estate searches, read outdoors blogs and Texas publications. Listen to this guy online: Chester Moore

The internet provides so much info and all you have to do is filter it.

I don't understand your disgust with Arizona but if you come to Texas, Welcome !!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,180,128 times
I am with Bobtex. Grew up and lived for many years in East Texas. Moderate temps, more rain and foliage for hunting, camping vs central/ west Texas. You can get 20 acres reasonably and hunt deer on your own land. People do it all over, just don't shoot into the neighbor's land. No more than a couple of hours from a lake at the most. COL is reasonable.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM

10 posts, read 13,723 times
Water is certainly an issue with all of the west/southwest. I live in the central AZ deserts where we have an abundance of water due to management but the cities and tribes are going to end up with most of the ag water in time. And this drought seems relentless. For someone that has never farmed anything but irrigated land the thought of depending on rainfall is scary.

Also the thought of hunting on your own land if it is less than a thousand acres is foreign. Where I live deer numbers are measured by square miles/deer. There are monster mule deer bucks but they are few and require some luck and a lot of skill to take one. And I agree, fishing is not a bad way to pass some time!

Thanks again for the ideas. I appreciate them all.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,934,293 times
Within 25 miles of Galveston if you love to go boating and fishing

Livingston is another good area for fishing

Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Something that has not been mentioned is the much higher humidity in TEXAS. The eastern section has extreme humidity with no moving air during mid July to mid Sep.... Winters can be cold and unexpected with temperatures dropping 40-50 degrees in less than 24 hours.

Many of the rural towns in E TX do NOT like anyone who was not related to an original settler. E TX has a church on every other block and is only recently going 'wet' to sell beer and wine. The pine trees are big and grow like weeds. There are not 4 seasons... mainly hot and humid or cold and damp with a few weeks of 'nice' weather in between. It seems there is very little consistency to the seasons. But the cost of living is not very high and there is plenty of open areas to be purchased. Most of E TX has NO rocks and the water in streams and ponds is murky.

BUT there is good horse riding and deer leases all over the rural areas.... you have to join a deer lease group to hunt. There are plenty of farms for sale within an hour of a city big enough for high quality medical. However, the catholics are busy buying up many of the hospitals in the smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas