Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:54 PM

11 posts, read 18,901 times

Advertisements

We are getting closer to retirement and have had people say TX may be a place to look at. I am kind of overwhelmed with the size of the state and all of the diversity. Guess my question is.......where would be an area that has outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, with a rural lifestyle yet within a reasonable driving distance of hospitals and other amentities? Reasonable here is 60-75 miles. My wife drives 125 miles a day round trip to work so for us it isn't all that far.
I am a farmer and will never get that lifestyle out of me. Looking to purchase a smaller farm or ranching operation just to keep me busy if nothing else. My home state of AZ has become a joke and I am wanting out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
What is your budget....the Hill Country is a good area but it is expensive and mainly ranching.....you would need a good sized budget to buy a ranch there prolly.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,021 times
Default Texas Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaz32 View Post
We are getting closer to retirement and have had people say TX may be a place to look at. I am kind of overwhelmed with the size of the state and all of the diversity. Guess my question is.......where would be an area that has outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, with a rural lifestyle yet within a reasonable driving distance of hospitals and other amentities? Reasonable here is 60-75 miles. My wife drives 125 miles a day round trip to work so for us it isn't all that far.
I am a farmer and will never get that lifestyle out of me. Looking to purchase a smaller farm or ranching operation just to keep me busy if nothing else. My home state of AZ has become a joke and I am wanting out of here.
Sounds like the Texas Hill Country might be your best bet. Try looking in an area roughly from Hondo on the south, Camp Wood on the west, Mason on the north and Dripping Springs on the east. This area would be your best bet for ranching, but not necessarily for farming. For farming you might look east of Austin, say LaGrange/ Schulenburg area. All these places have hunting and fishing opportunities, with my personal favorite being the area to the east of Camp Wood.
Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
A town like Burnet might be a good start. Very close to Lake Buchanan, though suffering from drought now is still a nice lake. Burnet is a medium-small town - enough to have amenities but still not be too big. About one hour from the general Austin area.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
.where would be an area that has outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, with a rural lifestyle yet within a reasonable driving distance of hospitals and other amentities?
Except for a wide variety in fishing spots, my South High Plains farm would meet your requirements. I have nighttime videos of mule deer (large antlered bucks, does and fawn) as well as coyotes within 15 feet of my house. Texas caprock area deer lease hunting is just a few miles away and New Mexico deer, elk and pronghorn hunting on open Federal lands is just a short drive from here.

Additionally, we're only 40 miles out of Lubbock which has some of the State's best medical facilities. I like to say we are close enough to benefit from the urban world but not so close we have to suffer it. If there are degrees of "ruralness" in Texas, we are extremely rural.

We're neither an active farm or a "ranching operation." Anytime someone asks me if I plan to "farm" this place, I tell them "No way!" My years with U.S.D.A. taught me better than to think I could be successful at that tough job.

Perhaps you need to narrow your characteristics for a new living place a bit more? The only thing that surpasses the size of Texas is it's diversity of environments in which one can choose to live.

At any rate, whenever and/or wherever you decide to settle in Texas, welcome.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replies! You guys have given me a couple of good starting points. I am going to check out some real estate agencies in both of these areas and get my wife to checking out employment. Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! You guys have given me a couple of good starting points. I am going to check out some real estate agencies in both of these areas and get my wife to checking out employment. Thanks again!
Anytime and good luck

Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 PM

High Plains Retired, we drove through a small portion of NW Texas about 6 weeks ago. It looks like the drought has taken a toll on the farmers from eastern CO south into NM. It was sad to see so many abandoned farms. Hopefully the weather guys are right and a strong El Nino can help with the drought.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
High Plains Retired, we drove through a small portion of NW Texas about 6 weeks ago. It looks like the drought has taken a toll on the farmers from eastern CO south into NM. It was sad to see so many abandoned farms. Hopefully the weather guys are right and a strong El Nino can help with the drought.
You were probably here just before the recent rains. We've received over 6" of rain in the past few weeks. It's been many years since I've seen this place as green as it is right now. However, add millions of mosquitoes to the local wildlife here now.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM

122 posts, read 209,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You were probably here just before the recent rains. We've received over 6" of rain in the past few weeks. It's been many years since I've seen this place as green as it is right now. However, add millions of mosquitoes to the local wildlife here now.
All 6 of those inches came down in less than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas