Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 AM

20 posts, read 105,630 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, I've been thinking of moving from New England to a warmer climate. I currently live on the beautiful coast of Maine, I'm down-east which means north coast. It's a difficult decision for me since I love our beauty, low crime and peaceful life-style. But I am sooo sick of the long dark winters and the feeling of "waiting" for the weather to break so life can start each year. Also our cost of living is quite high, utilities are out of control along with our tax rates. Realizing that with a move there is always a trade-off of some sort it's a very scary decision. Through the computer I've looked a lot into Georgetown Texas, Guntersville Alabama, and quite a few spots in Florida. Crime is a concern for me and although our winters are long and dark our summers (both days of it) are perfect, just way to short! Anyone who has experienced such a move with some comparions and opinions I would appreciate hearing from you or anyone living in these areas who could tell me about living there I would also love to hear from you. Have a good day, Bonnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
The winters in Georgetown,both days of them,are mild,but then the summers are long,hot,and humid.The temp in Austin today was 100 degrees,with a fairly high humidity.It will be similar to this all the way to about the end of September.The other 7 months are perfect,though.Georgetown is now a suburb of Austin,and Austin has probably the worst traffic in Texas due to it's layout.A 2 hour,1 way commute isn't unusual if you have to go into or near Austin to work.San Antonio has everything Austin has,and more, with better traffic conditions.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 127,186 times
Default If I had my preference...

We're in Richardson (Dallas) and have visited many places in Texas in the 7 years we've been here. The beauty of the state is around San Antonio (north and west of). Interesting area and many outdoors things to do. Spring fed rivers and lakes around the area.
We also prefer Northern Arkansas for its beauty and laid back lifestyle. Ozarks in the Northwestern corner is very nice and yet on the modern side as there's a college up there. The drives are to die for in the hills...
Cost of living here is non-existent compared to where you are. For example, I have a 2,200 house and paid $145,000 in 1999 and my annual taxes are $4,400 based on current value of $175,000 (appx. 2.5% of values)
My electric and gas average bill is appx. $200 / month and water/waste is $100 / month (we have a sprinkler system and hot tub)...
I'm pretty sure it is comparable or slightly less than San Antonio or Austin.
Whatever you do, do not go to Houston, it is as humid (or more) then Florida and very hot!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 47,702 times
Hi Bonnie. I moved from midwest Missouri to mideast Texas a few years ago so I know just a little bit of what it's like to move to a different warmer climate. Missouri is in no way as cold as Maine but it does get quite a bit colder than Texas! If you move to Texas, you'll have to get used to heat, heat and more heat. Winters are nice and mild in most areas but the summer humidity and heat is almost intolerable. Oddly enough, I happened upon this thread and I myself am thinking of relocating to Maine.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbeth
Hi Bonnie. I moved from midwest Missouri to mideast Texas a few years ago so I know just a little bit of what it's like to move to a different warmer climate. Missouri is in no way as cold as Maine but it does get quite a bit colder than Texas! If you move to Texas, you'll have to get used to heat, heat and more heat. Winters are nice and mild in most areas but the summer humidity and heat is almost intolerable. Oddly enough, I happened upon this thread and I myself am thinking of relocating to Maine.
Thank you for your information. I think I've ruled out Texas. Although I'm interested in getting out of our long dark winter I don't think Texas is a good match for me. It would be one extreme to another. Texas appears to be a nice place with nice people but I don't know that I could handle being couped up inside because of the heat anymore than I can stand being stuck in the house during the winter. As far as relocating to Maine...it is an incredible state. Full of wild life, the most beautiful sunsets, the stars are so amazing it looks like you could just reach up and grab them, the air smells like ocean and pine. I love this place - it is (to me) the most beautiful place on earth. I have a chronic illness and the cold is not helping. I need a happy medium. So if I find that spot, I'll leave beautiful Maine - if not, I'll continue to put up with the long dark winters and the rest of what makes Maine so endearing, which isn't hard to take! Good luck with your search. Bonnie

Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 AM

20 posts, read 106,209 times
Bonnie,

You might want to check out Colorado. I live in Durango (Southwest corner). While the realestate is quite expensive and there is no ocean, the weather is a nice medium. All four seasons, but even in winter you can go outside and hike/bike/ski/walk. The best part is lack of humidity, so even if it is in the 90's (couple of weeks a year) you still don't need air conditioning in your house. I have also heard the dry climate is good for health issues. Just a thought, incedentally, we are moving to NC-another happy medium?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob
Bonnie,

You might want to check out Colorado. I live in Durango (Southwest corner). While the realestate is quite expensive and there is no ocean, the weather is a nice medium. All four seasons, but even in winter you can go outside and hike/bike/ski/walk. The best part is lack of humidity, so even if it is in the 90's (couple of weeks a year) you still don't need air conditioning in your house. I have also heard the dry climate is good for health issues. Just a thought, incedentally, we are moving to NC-another happy medium?
Curious...where in North Carolina are you heading? Funny thing I have been reseaching some areas in the Carolina's. A few areas in South Carolina and Pinehurst in North Carolina. It appears the people who live in the Carolina's love it there! I may head for a visit in the near future. Thank you for your suggestion - Colorado - I'm certain I would love it but it's too far from family. Good luck with your move to North Carolina hope it works out well for you. Bonnie

Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
It's a shame you've ruled out Texas. My wife is from New Brunswick, Canada and we lived in Bangor for 2 years. I'm a native Texan but she adapted well to our weather (East Texas). Lotsa pool time and other water endeavors fill the bill. BTW.....I handled the Maine winters just fine.....I worked nights at EMMC in Bangor when there!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,891 times
Default maine to texas

we moved from washington state to texas 11 years ago, if it wasn't for the heat i would love it, we have been considering retiring to Maine, my husband wants to go to eastport.

washington state is not as wet as everyone thinks it is, there is rain, but mostly in the winter.

there are trees, mountains, streams, no creepy crawly poisonous things like in texas, unless you go to the east side of washington which is hot in summer and really cold in winter, THEY have rattlesnakes but it is beautiful over there too especially where the orchards are.

But like I said if it wasn't for the heat, I would stay here forever.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley
we moved from washington state to texas 11 years ago, if it wasn't for the heat i would love it, we have been considering retiring to Maine, my husband wants to go to eastport.

washington state is not as wet as everyone thinks it is, there is rain, but mostly in the winter.

there are trees, mountains, streams, no creepy crawly poisonous things like in texas, unless you go to the east side of washington which is hot in summer and really cold in winter, THEY have rattlesnakes but it is beautiful over there too especially where the orchards are.

But like I said if it wasn't for the heat, I would stay here forever.
Yeah, I get the feeling that I would grow tired of the constant extreme heat just as much as I'm sick of our long winter. I'm trying to find a happy medium - but not too far from here. I want the ability to visit home without driving completely through the US. I'm actually looking more into Alabama or S.C. The people in Texas seem to be wonderful and helpful, but a little more of a balance with the weather is important to me too. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas