Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
In Midland, the neighborhood around Grasslands is very nice and many streets are walkable distance to Scharbauer elementary. there is also a neighborhood---Oak something near a big Church called Stonegate off Wadley and it is very nice and has a terrific neighborhood pool and club room. Both of these neighborhoods would give you quick access to Andrews Hwy. which takes you right to an airport exit. I will try to find out the name for sure. In Odessa, a nice area is near UTPB, some of the streets are Deering and Palo Verde to help you zone in on it. Not sure what your budget is but people are finding places, just make take some time and negotiating. Welcome to Midland! It is a nice airport but just wish it had more direct service to places like Austin and Albuquerque! Maybe you could put in a good word for us! Pm and questions about services for children, I have lived here 7 years and have young children too!
Pam
Yes Grasslands is a very nice subdivision.Although, with the influx of school-aged children enrollment was shut off at Scharbauer and it may happen again.However, you would need a sizable budget of prolly at least 300 plus grand to buy a hourse in Grasslands.It has easy access to MAF since 191 borders it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 11,457 times
Thanks for all the information everybody. Its helped tremendously already. Budget wise we want to stay between 225K and 250K. How bad are the property taxes. Where we live know the taxes can double between developments only a couple miles apart. Currently our property taxes are $3500 a year on our 1900sq foot home. That can affect the budget a little when trying to find an area. If my research is correct the property taxes in odessa are considerably less compared to midland. Is that accurate? Are there any necessary insurances other than the normal home owners? Flood or earthquake ex.?

I understand the area has been growing. Are there plans for that to continue? This last question might be a dumb one but I don't know very much about the oil industry except when I fill up the price keeps going up. What are the chances of this midland oil boom drying up and the market right along with it?

Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandgp View Post
Thanks for all the information everybody. Its helped tremendously already. Budget wise we want to stay between 225K and 250K. How bad are the property taxes. Where we live know the taxes can double between developments only a couple miles apart. Currently our property taxes are $3500 a year on our 1900sq foot home. That can affect the budget a little when trying to find an area. If my research is correct the property taxes in odessa are considerably less compared to midland. Is that accurate? Are there any necessary insurances other than the normal home owners? Flood or earthquake ex.?

I understand the area has been growing. Are there plans for that to continue? This last question might be a dumb one but I don't know very much about the oil industry except when I fill up the price keeps going up. What are the chances of this midland oil boom drying up and the market right along with it?
Anytime.property taxes are real high.They are forecasting it to last decades...lots of people think it will go on forever including Odessa city gov people and Railroad Commission but I promise you there will be another bust at some point....mark my words.....It is literally impossibly to forcast the price of crude accurately.The bust could come at any point.Also, prices affect different oil producing areas in different ways even in the same price point.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,566 times
Default prop taxes

We have a 3300 sq ft. home and pay about $5600 a year, it can be split into two payments. We don't have flood insurance or anything other than home owner insurance. An expense you might not think about it is drinking water. Most people have an RO system (reverse osmosis) We rent ours from Culligan and also the water softener. We rent because this equipment has to be replaced often because of the high mineral content of the water. For us, it's about $65 a month. They also deliver salt to you for your water softener if you choose that service then you don't have to haul in bags of salt from the store. We only need the delivery about 3-4 times a year.

I'm sorry I don't know about the property taxes in Odessa. I have heard time and time again, it's impossible to truly predict the future here (we are not in oil related businesses) but I just look at the tremendous growth, the apartment complexes going up, the businesses, the expansion of health care and I am guessing that people feel pretty confident that the growth is going to continue and are willing to take that risk to build and grow. You may know this already but XCor is seeking a license to built a space port at the airport, more growth. I think some are wisely looking at diversification and not just thinking about oil but of course, it is predominant.

All the best,
Pam

Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I would recommend to you strongly to rent and not buy cuz you could buy at the height of the boom and the housing bubble and the bust could come and you would lose lots of equity or not be able to sell your house at all and just have to walk away from it......this was very widespread during the 80's.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 17,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Im talking about per capita and that's really the way it is in Odessa....number one in USA right now
Is this a joke?Odessa averages about 4 murders a year.lol

Old 07-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulMane979 View Post
Is this a joke?Odessa averages about 4 murders a year.lol
No Im serious....Odessa has the number one per capita murder rate in the US.I know a homicide detective for OPD and he gets called about just about every other night.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 PM

7 posts, read 11,457 times
After doing some more research we've decided to rent. We're looking at The Palms at Briarwood in Midland. It looks nice. Its expensive for what we are use to, but seems to be the going rate for Midland. Does anyone have any experience with this place or information about the area? I called and they don't have anything available in a 3 bed 2 bath right now and aren't sure when something will come available next. Can anyone suggest any other places similar to this? We have a five year old starting kindergarten this year so a decent school district is important to use. Other than that we're aren't looking to be too close to anything in particular. Easy access to the high way would be nice for my commute to the airport for work too, but its not a necessity. Thoughts?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
After doing some more research we've decided to rent. We're looking at The Palms at Briarwood in Midland. It looks nice. Its expensive for what we are use to, but seems to be the going rate for Midland. Does anyone have any experience with this place or information about the area? I called and they don't have anything available in a 3 bed 2 bath right now and aren't sure when something will come available next. Can anyone suggest any other places similar to this? We have a five year old starting kindergarten this year so a decent school district is important to use. Other than that we're aren't looking to be too close to anything in particular. Easy access to the high way would be nice for my commute to the airport for work too, but its not a necessity. Thoughts?
Your child would be attending Midland ISD.That area is minutes from 191 which is the highway you would take to get to the airport exit.You would be real close to Wally World in the Briarwood area.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,566 times
Default Convenient

Yes that would be a convenient location for you. Greathouse school is not far from there, almost walking distance but check to see which school the apt. complex is zoned for. There is another complex a few blocks away on Holiday Hill Rd., they may have an opening. Also check next to Fasken Oil on Holiday Hill rd., they are building an entire community with townhomes, houses and apts (I believe) Says they will be opened in a few months, I think it's called the Vineyards but I will drive by and check. Welcome!
Pam
here's an article describing the new development: http://www.mrt.com/top_stories/artic...9a86bf80b.html

another interesting article announcing new apts and other info about housing and the economy here: http://recenter.tamu.edu/newstalk/main.asp?a=16

Last edited by pammybear; 07-13-2014 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas