Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My husband just got a great job in Jasper, TX. We're in Lufkin now, but the commute's been rough for our family. Since I work at home and our kids seem adaptable, we're considering making the plunge to Jasper this summer ....it's just concerning me to be over an hour away from anything else on the map!!

The amenities I'd like to ask about are: a good pediatrician & OB/Gyn, parks and things to do with pre-school kids, meet-up groups for moms of preschoolers, restaurants - what's good? the high school - does it have an AP program?, and fitness - do any gyms offer childcare? a pool? Obviously I'm an urbanite from Austin and up til he got this job, Lufkin was the smallest, most remote place I'd ever been! I think I'm about to learn otherwise...

Cheers; happy fourth of July!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 AM

3,246 posts, read 5,597,637 times
Jasper is tiny compared to Lufkin. Population is around 8K. It is located in cash strapped East Texas. This should get you into the realm of understanding.

I live 35 minutes west but use a dentist there whom I consider outstanding. When in rural settings you have to make your own amenities most of the time.

Recommended eateries:

Cedar Tree Restaurant, especially the Friday and Sat nite buffet.

Catfish Cabin north of town on US 96

There are a couple of hole in the wall Bar BQ joints but I am unable to recall names.

Good greasy homemade burgers and other cardiac specialties at The Stump on RR 255 near the dam at Rayburn.

As far a pools I'd have to say the 112,000 acre one 12 miles north of town is going to most likely be it although I am not sure. My kids swim at the lake and in creeks while we do also have an above ground offering here at the house in the woods.

You'll have to be innovative and do a lot of your own specialty meals. The commercial cuisine choices are quite limited.

All major medical should go south(Beaumont), northwest (Lufkin), or southwest(Houston). The hospital there is a poor choice and serves more as a walk in clinic.

I am less than informed on schools but I am pretty sure thay are less than stellar considering the population they serve although schooling is kinda what you make of it. A les stellar school can still provide an excellent foundation if the individual student(s) apply themselves and work hard.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 AM

We use a pediatrician group in Beaumont ... Beaumont Pediatrics. Very busy office, good docs. I am in healthcare and recognize the quality of service at this office.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM

437 posts, read 636,432 times
hopefully you and your husband are white. jasper is known for its racial unrest. it's probably the only town in tx i would never visit.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
hopefully you and your husband are white. jasper is known for its racial unrest. it's probably the only town in tx i would never visit.
This is a lie that is perpetuated by the ignorant!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,418,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
This is a lie that is perpetuated by the ignorant!
http://www.khou.com/news/The-Texas-m...130176288.html

Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,743,713 times
So Jasper should forever be scarred by one murder?

Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So Jasper should forever be scarred by one murder?
Unfortunately that act of terrorism is what people think of when they hear "Jasper"

Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

R U serious ???? This murder of one black, incidentally over an unpaid drug debt, by his old white prison mate brands a whole community forever? That's just about as bigoted a statement as I've read on these pages!

What about the white machine shop owner beat to death in Jasper by the 2 blacks prior to the Byrd murder? Should all whites also flee Jasper? It'll darned near be a ghost town if run by your standards!

I swear ... the pure outlandish, baseless, mindless statements by some people makes me wonder . . . no, I guess it doesn't really.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
R U serious ???? This murder of one black, incidentally over an unpaid drug debt, by his old white prison mate brands a whole community forever? That's just about as bigoted a statement as I've read on these pages!

What about the white machine shop owner beat to death in Jasper by the 2 blacks prior to the Byrd murder? Should all whites also flee Jasper? It'll darned near be a ghost town if run by your standards!

I swear ... the pure outlandish, baseless, mindless statements by some people makes me wonder . . . no, I guess it doesn't really.
I can't find any information about an unpaid drug death or the killers (there were 3 of them) being in prison with James Byrd.

Who told you about this unpaid drug debt and prison mate thing? Is that story commonly accepted in Jasper? Is it accepted among whites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas