Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:34 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

I moved to Illinois a few years ago and got my DL here. When this happened they punched a hole in my TX license and handed it back to me. I am moving back to Texas soon and still have my TX DL with the hole in it. When I went online to schedule an appointment, the system acted like I had a currently valid TX license. I'm wondering if I can just submit an address change online and get a new license mailed to my new TX address.

Some states take and shred the previous license and others just stamp it with VOID or punch a hole in it, but the question is if they notify your previous state that you are no longer a resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
i think I'd give that a try. Amazes me that there's no 'standard' as driver licensing nationwide.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,228,300 times
I'd give it a try. They'll tell you if it's invalid.

I'm moving back to TX after 20 years in other states. i'm wondering if my old TDL number still exists and is valid. It would be nice since I still remember it. Remember how you always had to write your TDL number on checks? It's seared in my brain even though I can barely remember my phone number.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default No standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
i think I'd give that a try. Amazes me that there's no 'standard' as driver licensing nationwide.
Each state has their own standards indeed. I've been trying to figure out how to work the system in Norway since I am moving there this summer, and it costs a lot of money to take a test there, and if you fail, it will cost even more. In Norway, it can cost anywhere from 2K to 5K, to pass your test... this does not include studying, this is just taking the damn driving test. They are very picky there. My wife, wanting to get a Norwegian driver license, had to just take the driving exam, plus study a little. That alone was about 1K.

In Norway, if you don't take the test with a stick, you are not allowed to drive a stick! So my wife took it with the stick, and FAILED! She failed because she did not use 6th gear! They said it was good practice for the environment to use it, so they failed her for not using it. I was not like they were on a highway. In fact, trivia for you, Norway has no national highway system! Only two lane roads all around the country because of the mountains, no interstates, freeways. Anyway, so now she has to pay 2K more to take the test again.

Anyway, I got way off topic there, but I was trying to see how I could get around that... Norway will swap out your DL if you have a DL from Europe, and Germany will swap your Texas DL for theirs. Yeah, not all states qualify, but for some reason, Texas does. That is how I know each state is different. :

Old 04-29-2021, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Each state has their own standards indeed. I've been trying to figure out how to work the system in Norway since I am moving there this summer, and it costs a lot of money to take a test there, and if you fail, it will cost even more. In Norway, it can cost anywhere from 2K to 5K, to pass your test... this does not include studying, this is just taking the damn driving test. They are very picky there. My wife, wanting to get a Norwegian driver license, had to just take the driving exam, plus study a little. That alone was about 1K.

In Norway, if you don't take the test with a stick, you are not allowed to drive a stick! So my wife took it with the stick, and FAILED! She failed because she did not use 6th gear! They said it was good practice for the environment to use it, so they failed her for not using it. I was not like they were on a highway. In fact, trivia for you, Norway has no national highway system! Only two lane roads all around the country because of the mountains, no interstates, freeways. Anyway, so now she has to pay 2K more to take the test again.

Anyway, I got way off topic there, but I was trying to see how I could get around that... Norway will swap out your DL if you have a DL from Europe, and Germany will swap your Texas DL for theirs. Yeah, not all states qualify, but for some reason, Texas does. That is how I know each state is different. :
Lordy! And I can vouch for this because my granddaughter is 18 and just moved back from Germany. Silly us - we thought she could just test and get her DL over there for a minimal fee like here - nope, it was around $5000!!!!! So long story short, she just waited till she moved here. Then bingo - coronavirus, and she had to make an appointment many months in advance.

There's more drama but that's enough for one day. Please OP, try to avoid going to the DPS or whatever. They are not user friendly. I'd definitely try the online renewal thing and see if it works. You have nothing to lose.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
...Please OP, try to avoid going to the DPS or whatever. They are not user friendly.

I'll have to swap my Texas license for a Nebraska license later this year. So I have to prove that I was born again, even tho I have TWO pieces of 'Real ID'. Texas DL is good to waive the written and road test, but they don't trust that Texas or the military actually verified that you were born.

Fortunately, I'm one of the old folks that can put my hands on a hospital birth certificate, a baptism certificate, and an actual state of Indiana raised seal birth certificate. I'm still dreading the visit to the DMV.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:47 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
You are obviously still in the system OP, just renew online. When my daughter moves out of state, she doesn't hand them her Texas license to destroy. I believe she just tells them she lost it, of course I think that has resulted in her having to take their tests (no problem). She's moved out of state several times (school and work) then returns after a couple of years.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please OP, try to avoid going to the DPS or whatever. They are not user friendly.
I see you haven't dealt with any State of Illinois agencies

I thought my last experience at the DPS was great. I put in my number for the Fort Worth Megacenter and got a text saying two hours. Watched some TV, made some lunch, then headed over when I got the 30min wait time message. By the time I got there it was my turn.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:58 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I'd give it a try. They'll tell you if it's invalid.

I'm moving back to TX after 20 years in other states. i'm wondering if my old TDL number still exists and is valid. It would be nice since I still remember it. Remember how you always had to write your TDL number on checks? It's seared in my brain even though I can barely remember my phone number.
I think there is a certain amount of time, during which, if you are gone from TX and return, they will give you the old TDL number back. It might have to do with birth month as well.

When my husband and I moved out of TX in 2001 and returned in 2007, we went to get new Texas DL's, and he got his original TDL number back (the one he was issued with his first license in the 1980s) and I did not. I'm still kind of irritated about that, LOL. He can always recall his number from memory and I can't...

Old 04-30-2021, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post

I'll have to swap my Texas license for a Nebraska license later this year. So I have to prove that I was born again, even tho I have TWO pieces of 'Real ID'. Texas DL is good to waive the written and road test, but they don't trust that Texas or the military actually verified that you were born.

Fortunately, I'm one of the old folks that can put my hands on a hospital birth certificate, a baptism certificate, and an actual state of Indiana raised seal birth certificate. I'm still dreading the visit to the DMV.
I know what you mean and DON'T even get me started! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas