Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Heard them too when i stayed in mississippi...plus i work with a few people from mississippi now and for the most part they sound just like east texans...and the people in the part I was in sounded alot more like east texans...gulf coastal and delta mississippi sounded markedly different/steeper in accent tho to me.....but alabama, atlanta and new orleans accents are by far the countriest accents ive heard from blacks..
Yes...in my experience, many native Mississippians (Jackson/Brandon) do sound like very deep East Texans (Beaumont, Jasper, Kirbyville).

Black New Orleans and black Mississippi were a lot harder to understand, but that might have been intentional on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,959 times
I used to have a teacher from mississippi and his accent was pretty wild...he was white though and not only sounded like colonel sanders, he also dressed extremely out of date with those giant window lensed glasses people used to wear, with the massive metal frame, and too tight suspenders, high water pants and that big pot belly gut...he was smart tho....whatever thats worth

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,869,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I don't see how. It is a distinctly urban accent with no real connection to the country. There is barely an ounce of drawl or twang in it.
Nope, no Southern accent here eh?

Just a typical NO/Southern Lousiana accent. He even went to college at the University of Houston in his late teenage years before moving to California, now back in Louisiana. Lil' Romeo, now just Romeo his son has a house in Sugar Land, which was featured on MTV's Cribs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSAfvVknug

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-17-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,743,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Nope, no Southern accent here eh?

Just a typical NO/Southern Lousiana accent. He even went to college at the University of Houston in his late teenage years before moving to California, now back in Louisiana. Lil' Romeo, now just Romeo his son has a house in Sugar Land, which was featured on MTV's
Well maybe your hearing is as poor as your sight, since you clearly didn't see me say that I was not saying the New Orleans accent wasn't southern. I said it isn't country ( which is honestly a matter of fact and not really opinion). Your pointless and off topic video disproves nothing I've said.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,869,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well maybe your hearing is as poor as your sight, since you clearly didn't see me say that I was not saying the New Orleans accent wasn't southern. I said it isn't country ( which is honestly a matter of fact and not really opinion). Your pointless and off topic video disproves nothing I've said.
How is discussing Master P & his Southern drawl off topic?

He's from The South - check

He's from the City of New Orleans - check

He grew up in the hood - check

He's lived in Texas - check

His son lives in Texas (Sugar Land) - check

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,743,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How is discussing Master P & his Southern drawl off topic?

He's from The South - check

He's from the City of New Orleans - check

He grew up in the hood - check

He's lived in Texas - check

His son lives in Texas (Sugar Land) - check
Log off and go to bed.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Quote:
=winkosmosis;35692247]That's not a Southern accent-- That's African American Vernacular English which is mostly the same nationwide with some regional variations.

The Texas accent is a variety of the Southern accent and you will find it in rural areas, among some suburban people, but not much with people who grew up in urban areas. But even across the state the Texas accent varies. In East Texas it's indistinguishable from Southern. Going northwest it turns into a more western accent and blends into the Oklahoma accent
Good post, winkosmosis, but the quibble is that that a "western accent" is really nothing more than a mish-mash of a variety of accents from all over the country, reflecting settlement patterns. They were settled by those from just about everywhere.

On the other hand, Texas was overwhelmingly settled by those from the southeast (both anglo and black), and this migration pretty much stopped just across the New Mexico border. Here is a good map -- a composite based on multiple dialect studies, that show the approximate extent (with sources) of Southern American English.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...EnglishMap.jpg

ASA 147th Meeting Lay Language Papers - The Nationwide Speech Project

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...p/NatMap1.html

American English Dialects

The truly "Western" states (i.e. Rocky Mountain, interior Southwest, and Pacific Coast), had nil to no influence on the linguistic patterns in Texas. They didn't even become states until long after we were established, and about 40 something percent from Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia, alone (if memory serves correctly). Something of the same with Oklahoma (or most of it), they didn't influence Texas speech, although theirs was influenced quite a bit from Texans and southern pioneers who came in during the "Boom" era.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I used to have a teacher from mississippi and his accent was pretty wild...he was white though and not only sounded like colonel sanders, he also dressed extremely out of date with those giant window lensed glasses people used to wear, with the massive metal frame, and too tight suspenders, high water pants and that big pot belly gut...he was smart tho....whatever thats worth
Ouch.

The uptick at the end is what drove me crazy. Statements end up sounding like questions.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Ouch.

The uptick at the end is what drove me crazy. Statements end up sounding like questions.
True...His was interesting in that at times when he was rattling off long sentences his accent would dip into a very generic, regular sounding accent...but then when he would pronounce individual words or short phrases he would practically sound like Foghorn Leghorn or whatever his name was...very weird.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
True...His was interesting in that at times when he was rattling off long sentences his accent would dip into a very generic, regular sounding accent...but then when he would pronounce individual words or short phrases he would practically sound like Foghorn Leghorn or whatever his name was...very weird.
Foghorn? LOL!!

I was always delighted to get a professor/instructor from the Midwest. Most were very clear, precise more clipped accents. MUCH easier to take notes during a rambling lecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas