Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you favor the concept of an independent Texas?
No way - I'm only interested in being in Texas if it's a state 52 62.65%
Maybe - I'm not a native Texan and might support such a movement 13 15.66%
Maybe - I am a native Texan and might support such a movement 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM

603 posts, read 573,696 times

Advertisements

With boundaries being redrawn all around the world, I'm curious to see where my fellow Texans stand on the idea of nationhood for Texas. Texas has the world's 14th largest economy, between Russia and Australia and only receives $0.94 back for every $1.00 in taxes it sends out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM

587 posts, read 961,179 times
I have to vote no.

Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that Texas is already a unique country that just happens to be a member of a union. But Texas is better off in that union.

It's the lesson we can take from the former Soviet republics, just about everyone of them regret the break up of the USSR. They don't miss communism necessarily, but they do realize that they were stronger together.

Scotland should thread carefully also, I think they will regret it if they vote to leave the U.K.

If anything, I think we should be looking to form an even larger union comprised of the U.S., the U.K., Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.

Last edited by Midessan; 07-16-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I am, and will always be, American first despite being a multi-generation Texan and find the concept of 'succession' more akin to treason than any thing else. I didn't see that in the choices.

Edit: Btw, we would also be obliged to take about 1.4 trillion in debt with us as we 'depart'......

And overall, the average that any given state receives back from the feds is well under 1:1, since we are paying interest on a 17 trillion debt. Hell, $0.94 is pretty good, probably.

This whole topic is really just dumb.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 AM

603 posts, read 573,696 times
Agreed, we would be obliged to take 1.4 trillion in debt with us as we departed. We helped ring it up, we are responsible for it. In addition to taking that 1.4 trillion in debt, we would take the Texas Armed Forces, the Texas National Guard, and the equipment of these organizations.

Unions do have advantages...but they have disadvantages as well...

...one example being that 1.4 trillion in debt we are responsible for gets bigger every day we are part of one. I'm sure an independent Texas Republic would have sent soldiers to fight alongside those of the United States after Pearl Harbor. Would we have committed our treasure and sons and daughters to Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, and almost to Syria? California currently has a ballot initiative to split intself into 6 states, and this may well pass. Will a future where twelve California senators have their say in a far flung union capitol be a good future for Texas or a bad one?

An independent nation can still form alliances. It can still negotiate trade agreements. The government is closer to the people and in a republican form of governance, and more responsive. All these things allow for much more freedom than mandatory involvement in a union does. I guess I've come full circle on this a bit, from "there is strength in numbers" to "there is strength in self-determination" and don't really see anything treasonous in the desire to have the latter. I don't like to use the word secession much just because the term has a whole lot of historical baggage and think we should maintain good relations with our neighbors.

Last edited by Movingrightalong...; 07-17-2014 at 04:24 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
California currently has a ballot initiative to split intself into 6 states, and this may well pass. Will a future where twelve California senators have their say in a far flung union capitol be a good future for Texas or a bad one?
That's a no-brainer. Not only bad for Texas, but the entire country. Numerous Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi clones descend upon Washington. Eeeeeoooowwwww! Shudders! Damn, that would be the last straw to break the camel's back.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM

156 posts, read 244,836 times
These are some pretty bad poll options.

I would not support Texas splitting from the rest of our country. However, I would not leave Texas if it did unfortunately split.

Think of all the negatives that would occur: a passport would be necessary to travel to the US, companies would flee Texas to remain in the US, there would be a civil war between Texas an the rest of the US, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 14,425 times
Default Nationhood?

Ridiculous.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM

75 posts, read 140,447 times
Left to its own devices, the country of Texas would be one scary state when it came to social issues. Instead of Perry simply being governor, he'd be President of Texas! Scary thought indeed! Being part of the US puts these issues into some kind of balance. I also tend to think, the state/country would lose a lot of the young, talented, creative types, that are currently transforming our once derelict, forgotten inner cities. I could definitely see a mass migration out of the state, mostly from our major cities, back to the States. I can personally say, as a native Texan and gay man, I'd be packing it up and leaving! To sum it up, I think Texas becoming a nation would be catastrophic to its economy, culture and population but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intencity77 View Post
Left to its own devices, the country of Texas would be one scary state when it came to social issues. Instead of Perry simply being governor, he'd be President of Texas! Scary thought indeed! Being part of the US puts these issues into some kind of balance. I also tend to think, the state/country would lose a lot of the young, talented, creative types, that are currently transforming our once derelict, forgotten inner cities. I could definitely see a mass migration out of the state, mostly from our major cities, back to the States. I can personally say, as a native Texan and gay man, I'd be packing it up and leaving! To sum it up, I think Texas becoming a nation would be catastrophic to its economy, culture and population but that's just my opinion.
My thoughts too. I love living in Texas but if it was to become its own country, I would pack my bags fast.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
That's a no-brainer. Not only bad for Texas, but the entire country. Numerous Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi clones descend upon Washington. Eeeeeoooowwwww! Shudders! Damn, that would be the last straw to break the camel's back.
Scary, scary, scary indeed as far as both CA and TX are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas