U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM

215 posts, read 328,347 times

Advertisements

Because they don’t have any common sense about what resources should cost. Using CA costs as a measurement for the rest of the country is great if you’re a product seller, but a buyer not so much. They end up driving prices up for nearly everything they come in contact with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM

24,567 posts, read 37,979,011 times
This Texan doesn't really give a crap about California or Californians. As long as I don't have to pay for California, I don't really care what they get up to out there.

What bothers me is when they move HERE, clog up our roads and pollute our air with yet another unneeded car on the road, use up our dwindling water to keep their little patch of lawn emerald green, use up our electricity from our already-strained grid to keep their 4,000 square foot pile cool and comfy, then COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN about EVERYTHING in north Texas. The weather. The scenery. The people. The culture (or lack of it, according to them). The food. The guns. The everything.

Look, transplants: I-20 heads west. So does I-10. I'll help you pack. Either shut up or go back to California where everything is awesome.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM

327 posts, read 441,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The Texas vs California rivalry was manufactured by the financial rags desperately trying to conjure up this image of Texas as the perfect role model for the country while California is this failed experiment.

Texas economy is NOT a role model for other states. Its a unique combo of ample undeveloped land keeping real estate prices low, a speculative oil economy running the show, a total lack of State sector safety net programs which keeps taxes low and a very diverse economy to withstand a recession. The vast majority of jobs the grew from the "miracle" are low wage service sector jobs. If you're not a pedigreed professional banking on the high growth sectors in Texas, you're SOL, cus there's jack crap as far as social services.

Texas will experience a huge population boom that will be too much to handle for the "limited government" state. The state thinks that the private sector can foster all economic growth even though the private sector is limited.

California is finally picking up after a crazy lost economic period of terribly sluggish growth. It's not anywhere near it was before buts it's better than two years ago.

So the battle stems from a phony economic and cultural war for the soul of America started by the likes of Forbes and the Economist.
I really like it when someone finally tells the truth in a thoughtful, cogent way, without the flame and vitriol so common on this site. The ubiquitous name-calling and stereotyping get repetitive and boring.

Times change, people. California got rid of The Terminator and is back on the road to recovery.

Texas economy is NOT a role model for other states.
Texas is near the bottom in many areas (Google). That is not something most states would want to emulate.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,789,742 times
I don't even notice the difference. The locals in San Antonio were already becoming increasingly liberal.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 5,532,904 times
Quote:
The vast majority of jobs the grew from the "miracle" are low wage service sector jobs. If you're not a pedigreed professional banking on the high growth sectors in Texas, you're SOL, cus there's jack crap as far as social services.
There is no state in the US where it is nice to be poor. The vast majority of all jobs in the US are low wage service sector jobs, witness the median US household income at $55k. That is 2 people earning about $13 an hour. $100k in income basically puts you in the top 12% of households in the entire country.

It is slightly better to be poor in Texas because at least your primary drivers of expense (your rent and your fuel) are more affordable than many other places in the US and Texas has employment (yeah, the job probably sucks). The only states doing well are the ones with fewer poor people, usually due to discriminatory housing practices (mostly illegal but easy to hide and hard to prosecute) and economic discrimination (perfectly legal).

Also California is suffering equally badly through all the same problems Texas is -high migration and close proximity to the border. Guess which state is #1 on income-adjusted poverty? It is wierd that people prefer jobs to lousy social safety nets? They do - our total workforce participation was much higher less than 10 years ago.

Quote:
Its a unique combo of ample undeveloped land keeping real estate prices low, a speculative oil economy running the show, a total lack of State sector safety net programs which keeps taxes low and a very diverse economy to withstand a recession.
Look at a map. Every state west of the I95 corridor has ample undeveloped land, and the majority of them also have fossil-fuel based economies and a diverse economy is one that every state should want to emulate. There are freakin' oil rigs in the city of Los Angeles! CA doesn't have any developable land? Hahahahahahaha.

And don't think the East Coast filled with social safety nets and monied liberal wealth is some kind of basition of diversity, happiness, and integrity. Those fools are the ones who drove CA into the dust by screwing up global banking, sucking up all the federal funds for disbursement into their own neighborhoods around DC and then when global banking failed, they changed all the laws to 'privitize the gains and socialize the losses' which somehow mostly benefitted those already wealthy and on the east coast. Schwarzeneggar had a major impact on CA's economy? That's amazing considering CA governor is only slightly less ceremonial than Texas' is. The same NYC-based banking conglomerates are also mostly to blame for the exodus from Central America & Mexico in the US, but that's a rant for another day.

So if you think that Texas is not a decent state to emulate, that's fine, just be sure to look hard at what you are cheering for.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 07-21-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,323,392 times
Texas is essentially where California was in the 1950s. It's the land of opportunity and people are flocking here in record numbers.

Texas has more in common with California - huge tech industry, big energy state, large urban populations spread out across multiple MSAs - than it has with any other state. I think fellow Texans realize that Texas' future looks a lot like CA, and that scares them.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 AM

684 posts, read 741,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This Texan doesn't really give a crap about California or Californians. As long as I don't have to pay for California, I don't really care what they get up to out there.

What bothers me is when they move HERE, clog up our roads and pollute our air with yet another unneeded car on the road, use up our dwindling water to keep their little patch of lawn emerald green, use up our electricity from our already-strained grid to keep their 4,000 square foot pile cool and comfy, then COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN about EVERYTHING in north Texas. The weather. The scenery. The people. The culture (or lack of it, according to them). The food. The guns. The everything.

Look, transplants: I-20 heads west. So does I-10. I'll help you pack. Either shut up or go back to California where everything is awesome.

+1 on this .... Most transplants come here , complain , then try to turn it into the **** hole they left from.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 7,753,528 times
Yes, this forum seems to attract a disproportionate amount of West coast whiners. Occasionally I meet people from CA in real life, and of course I have relatives there too. People I have met from CA seem to be just as down to earth as anybody else. BUT out of the transplants from CA who make it to this forum... there is a HIGH percentage who seem to delight in complaining. It makes one think the entire state is built upon a culture of incessant whining, dissatisfaction, and perpetual grievance. Of course this isn't true, but for some reason that particular segment of folks is drawn to the Texas C-D forums like flies to spoiled food.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,657,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Texas is essentially where California was in the 1950s. It's the land of opportunity and people are flocking here in record numbers.

Texas has more in common with California - huge tech industry, big energy state, large urban populations spread out across multiple MSAs - than it has with any other state. I think fellow Texans realize that Texas' future looks a lot like CA, and that scares them.
This is exactly what I fear/am excited for.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,055,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Agreed.

These people move to Texas in hopes of a better more affordable life but tend to vote for the same failed political ideology that screwed their state up in the first place.
Yeah, they should vote for the failed political ideology that screwed Texas up instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas