Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Krugman doesn't know crap about Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM

174 posts, read 245,095 times
I'll defer to Krugman, a nobel price winner in economics, when comparing the performance of two state economies over an anonymous poster on C.D.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 AM

174 posts, read 245,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Speaking as someone who was born and raised in Dallas...I'm just sick of people moving here and clogging up the roads and raising the COL for all of us because of massive, constant infrastructure work to keep up with population growth and constant construction on roads to attempt to deal with the huge increase in traffic. It drags down our quality of life, such as it was before.

We live in a free market...people can vote with their feet. What do you want to do..shut down the Texas border to other U.S. states? Have the government set a quota on the number of people who can move to Dallas?

Many texans come from other places as well. Unless you are a thrid or foruth generation Texan you may not have much to complain about.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
We live in a free market...people can vote with their feet. What do you want to do..shut down the Texas border to other U.S. states? Have the government set a quota on the number of people who can move to Dallas?

Many texans come from other places as well. Unless you are a thrid or foruth generation Texan you may not have much to complain about.
*shrug* That's how I feel, I know I'm powerless to stop it. That doesn't change the way I feel.

I'm second-generation, since you asked. All four of my grandparents were WWII refugees.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Speaking as someone who was born and raised in Dallas...I'm just sick of people moving here and clogging up the roads and raising the COL for all of us because of massive, constant infrastructure work to keep up with population growth and constant construction on roads to attempt to deal with the huge increase in traffic. It drags down our quality of life, such as it was before.
There is a very pro-growth mentality in the State and local governments in Texas. If you want to curtail growth perhaps you should try to affect change in your local and state government instead of blaming newcomers who have basically been invited here by your local Chamber of Commerce...

Old 07-26-2014, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There is a very pro-growth mentality in the State and local governments in Texas. If you want to curtail growth perhaps you should try to affect change in your local and state government instead of blaming newcomers who have basically been invited here by your local Chamber of Commerce...
Aside from not voting for Rick Perry, what would you have me do?

Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
I'll defer to Krugman, a nobel price winner in economics, when comparing the performance of two state economies over an anonymous poster on C.D.
A Nobel "price" winner? You can neither capitalize or spell correctly.

Somehow the Nobel team saw fit to award our President, just one year into his term too, for doing nothing.

Krugman notably makes no mention of what will happen to California with the next economic downturn. Nothing structural has been fixed in the way California operates. Even more dependent on income taxes. No remedy to Prop 13. No reduction in citizen driven propositions.

When the economy is improving, California shines. When the economy declines, California crashes.

What about those housing prices? California is always in a housing bubble.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Aside from not voting for Rick Perry, what would you have me do?
Isn't complaining about the new comers a bit like blaming a sneeze for a cold ? I'm not saying there is anything you can do if you don't like the pro growth climate in Texas, I'm just saying you are focusing on the symptom, and not the cold...

Old 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The liberals in California make the "liberals" in Texas look like right wing conservatives. Nothing compared to the liberal, anti 2nd amendment nuts out here like Feinstein and Boxer, nothing at all.
They are more liberal than Texas liberals, but you could say the same for some other states' liberals in comparison to Texas, too. The fact remains that fairly recently Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor and Republican Pete Wilson not too long ago. If it was any Democrat other than Jerry Brown running the last time, Republican Meg Whitman might have had a chance. California voters passed a law banning same sex marriages in 2008. Still more liberal than Texas for sure, but still exaggerated and not always predictable. Just putting it in perspective.

BTW, many Californians own guns. You are right that in Texas it is less restricted. I like the ten day waiting period. I don't want a person that was just recently released from the state penitenciary or a mental facility to get them like they are candy. Ten days is very reasonable IMO. Anyone with common sense can agree with that. Guns have not been banned in California. The moderate Californians get less publicity than the liberals. The media prefer to cover people at either end of the political spectrum for the most part.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Krugman won the Nobel Prize by elaborating on work done by others long before. His ideas on rescuing the US economy are based on running up debt & deficits much more massively than they have been for the last 6 years.
Names & titles like his are about as worthwhile to the American economy as an MBA or law degree from Harvard have been with the last two presidents.

But hey, keep drinking the Koolaid those people are serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas