Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,424 times

Advertisements

Can someone compare the two majors offered at these universities? I do know the difference between CIS and MIS I am leaning towards Texas State but I hear UT is better known and more likely to impress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
UT is WAY more prestigious.. Texas State probably doesn't get much recognition outside of the state.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Texas waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more. Texas State earlier known as SW Texas State still known as a place for former Horns and Aggies, and a party school. CIS and MIS?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 PM

CIS is computer information systems which is sometimes interchangeable with MIS, management information systems. They are similar but with CIS it's more IT focus such as Network administrator more IT work, in MIS its more like a project manager with some IT mixed in. I rather do the IT focus in CIS but MIS at UT would be more prestigious..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 PM

238 posts, read 420,269 times
UT is still a public university. I don't know why people assume UT is the Texas equivalent of Harvard or other Ivy League University. All that matters is that your GPA is competitive and that you are sociable enough to obtain a relationship with the right people to get a decent job post graduation.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banal View Post
UT is still a public university. I don't know why people assume UT is the Texas equivalent of Harvard or other Ivy League University. All that matters is that your GPA is competitive and that you are sociable enough to obtain a relationship with the right people to get a decent job post graduation.

No one is trying to equate UT with Ivy League. But you would be a fool to argue UT isn't a prestigious institution.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM

I've lived in Austin for four years now and i love austin completely, but i feel inclined to Texas State just seems like a better fit, i'm used to smaller schools. I just don't want it to be a deterrent in the job market. Such as getting past over because i didn't graduate from UT and graduated from Texas State instead.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripteh1337 View Post
I've lived in Austin for four years now and i love austin completely, but i feel inclined to Texas State just seems like a better fit, i'm used to smaller schools. I just don't want it to be a deterrent in the job market. Such as getting past over because i didn't graduate from UT and graduated from Texas State instead.
I think it just depends on where you apply and who is interviewing you after you graduate. The place you apply at may have several Texas State alums working there. The person interviewing you may also be a Texas State alum.

The grad school I went to is not well known but lucky for me the organization I applied at already had several alumni from my university working there who were very hard workers and thus created a good reputation for my school there.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
CIS is typically harder than MIS. It's usually the same as CS with less math. CIS would open more doors as far as types of jobs. Now if you are directly comparing UT CS to SWT CS that's different. UT is in another league. But you are comparing relatively different programs. One of my former coworkers left to become a programmer for Haliburton and now makes 6 figures. He did CS at Texas St.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripteh1337 View Post
Texas State has almost as many students as UT. The reason why it is only regionally ranked instead of nationally ranked is because of its lack of doctoral programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: