Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times

Advertisements

During my years in Texas, ending in 2004, I never had any particular attitude about CA, and I don't believe any of my friends did. If there was an attitude, it was at least mildly positive, with a few people I knew moving out there to live, at least a couple of them more or less permanently.

So what's the real basis of all the anti-California sentiment and vitriol that gets posted on this forum, with a similar attitude that also seems to be attributed to Californians vis a vis Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 12,641 times
I think its a pride thing. Texans love texas and grow up proud. Californians grow up thinking that california is the greatest place on earth. The ideals just clash. Plus, its almost like a ultimate Liberal vs Conservative battle ROYALE!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
On the real estate side of the "hatred" is the Texas people having a semi-warped concept of what's going on and think "all those Californians just come in here with their cash and drive the prices up." Houses are so much less expensive in Texas, for the most part, and natives feel CA people just get excited about what they're able to buy and don't care about the "value". It's a wrong perception, but one that many TX people have.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times
Not all of CA is ultra-liberal, so that's a misperception. There are also plenty of liberals in a Texas, even if they can't gain any political control except at extremely local levels.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
Of course California is not all liberal -they had Reagan and Nixon. it is generally more expensive to live there however and the coast is outrageous. On the other hand Cal has the best public university system in the world UT and A&M can't come close to the University of California Berkeley-- the med school in San Francisco and the other campuses.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Of course California is not all liberal -they had Reagan and Nixon. it is generally more expensive to live there however and the coast is outrageous. On the other hand Cal has the best public university system in the world UT and A&M can't come close to the University of California Berkeley-- the med school in San Francisco and the other campuses.
He means even today. I live in Orange County and its on the conservative side here with many of the cities having Republican mayors and voting red in elections. Same with most of northern CA and central CA further inland away from the coast. So many people just think of LA or SF when they think CA and think the whole state is like that. Its the same misconception that many people outside of TX have, that everyone in TX are cowboys driving trucks on dirt roads and listening to country music. Big areas of CA are way different then LA and SF. Gold Country with cities like Rocklin, Auburn etc..feels a lot like the midwest to me. Its heavily conservative and red, lots of small towns, ranches and farm land. You would never even guess you were still in CA. I think the rivalry has become more heated lately because TX is taking jobs from CA and the economy is catching up as well. I love TX and Im seriously considering a move to Dallas or Austin.

This will give you an idea of where the liberals and conservatives are in CA. Orange County (down there in red) is the only place along that coast that is still majority conservative

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocre...orniavoted.gif

Last edited by dexter14; 07-19-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
good map Mbell. Orange County was one of the most conservative in the nation but layoffs at defense industries and the influx of minorities changed it somewhat. When the Terminator guy was gov and very unpopular that hurt the GOP.
What is odd about California is some of the wealthiest places in the country are GOP.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
During my years in Texas, ending in 2004, I never had any particular attitude about CA, and I don't believe any of my friends did. If there was an attitude, it was at least mildly positive, with a few people I knew moving out there to live, at least a couple of them more or less permanently.

So what's the real basis of all the anti-California sentiment and vitriol that gets posted on this forum, with a similar attitude that also seems to be attributed to Californians vis a vis Texas?
My only problem with them is they move here with unrealistic expectations, then complain constantly (and loudly) about how Texas isn't like home, and they insult those of us who are from here.

Not ALL of them do it, but enough of them do for it to be a pretty common irritant.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
It is mostly an internet thing. I don't know anyone IRL that doesn't love the weather, wine, and women from CA ..........

Old 07-19-2014, 09:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My only problem with them is they move here with unrealistic expectations, then complain constantly (and loudly) about how Texas isn't like home, and they insult those of us who are from here.

Not ALL of them do it, but enough of them do for it to be a pretty common irritant.
Agreed.

These people move to Texas in hopes of a better more affordable life but tend to vote for the same failed political ideology that screwed their state up in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas