Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually Metro matt has a point.

People always point out Austin as being extremely open-minded and liberal, but us Blacks know better. Everyone knows the biggest race issues have always been between blacks and whites. Austin doesn't have a large black population; so it's black and white relations aren't up there with Houston and Dallas.

I'll tell you this; visit Austin during the Texas Relays and speak to some of the white Austinites.....you'd be shocked.
I don't know if having a larger Black population means it is more progressive. Is Detroit more progressive in race relations than Austin because if it's larger black population?

I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Its not necesarily the points on Austin I disagree with. Its the "have to have a large black community to be progressive" notion that I do. As I mentioned, African-Americans are often not progressive especially on social issues. Therefore I dont think we can use that as a basis. Look at Minneapolis/St. Paul and Denver. Both are very progressive cities yet do not have large black communities.
That is changing pretty quickly though. Minneapolis already has the largest Somali population in the U.S and Denver has a relativelyy fast growing Ethiopian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM

30 posts, read 86,001 times
My sister wich is familier with the Austin area went to Canyon by Amarillo to vist some friends.My sister thought the area was nasty and did not like the people.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 AM

423 posts, read 823,963 times
Best - big cities
Worst - small towns

Yep, it's really that simple.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
^^^Its not necesarily the points on Austin I disagree with. Its the "have to have a large black community to be progressive" notion that I do. As I mentioned, African-Americans are often not progressive especially on social issues. Therefore I dont think we can use that as a basis. Look at Minneapolis/St. Paul and Denver. Both are very progressive cities yet do not have large black communities.
I never said just because Austin has a small black population; it isn't progressive. I just feel you have to consider the African American population within these so called "Progressive" cities.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
It's all about diversity. Detroit is 90% black so there's not much diversity there. Same goes for cities that are 90% white. Houston is a different story. I would say greater Houston would be your best bet, followed by Dallas (when walking about black/white relationships. If you want to add Hispanics to the mix, San A tonio wold be your best bet,because it's only about 60% Hispanic.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I don't know if having a larger Black population means it is more progressive. Is Detroit more progressive in race relations than Austin because if it's larger black population?

I doubt it.

That is changing pretty quickly though. Minneapolis already has the largest Somali population in the U.S and Denver has a relativelyy fast growing Ethiopian population.
Your only looking at city limits; the overall metropolitan area of Detroit is fairly diverse and includes a large white population amongst other races. The overall Austin metropolitan area is not much better than the city limits.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your only looking at city limits; the overall metropolitan area of Detroit is fairly diverse and includes a large white population amongst other races. The overall Austin metropolitan area is not much better than the city limits.
Even when looking at the metro area as a whole Detroit is still pretty segregated.

Detroit:

Austin:

Besides Austin's (along with San Antonio) low black population might have to be because they are located farther away from East Texas and Louisiana which have more black people so for the most part they instead flock towards Dallas and Houston. Same reason why cities such as El Paso, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Denver, etc have a low black population. However that does not mean those cities above are not accepting of interracial dating and/or relationships.

Last edited by diablo234; 10-17-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM

30 posts, read 86,001 times
Austin is filled with good people and is one of the best for young people in the U.S.A some websites say.but any citie with a college is good.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
I have to agree with MetroMatt, Jluke and Danny on this one. Austin gives you that progressive feel if you are white.

Seattle and San Fransisco don't have huge black population's but they felt progressive to me.

I don't think anyone is saying that a large black population is necessary to be progressive. I think what they are saying is that Austin's progressiveness is only skin deep, and if their were more black people hanging around in Austin, it would be more apparent.

Honestly, I don't get that big city racial comfort in Austin and San Antonio that I do in Houston and DFW.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Nah I didn't mean that having a particular race would mean more progressive, but the integration of a particular race does signify progression. I am actually not a fan of politics all to much as I view both sides as corrupt and retarded, but voting Blue has got to be the biggest misconception when it comes to progression.

I personally feel acceptance of others and a network of shared communities with a goal is progression. Austin has still yet to address that, and that is what I meant. That it will get there soon enough but is miles away from it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas