Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,961,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I lived in San Antonio. Graduated from high school in SA. My parents lived in SA until 2010 and I visited regularly. I like San Antonio. It is a good city to raise a family if you live in areas with good schools. Just like every other major city in Texas.

I didn't say millennials would always choose Austin. Please reread what I posted. I just think that even if San Antonio is getting smarter, it is still behind Houston, Dallas, and Austin for professional grade work. It doesn't lead in energy, tech, or finance. It leads in tourism, and military. It is developing tech.

People will go where the jobs are. If there are good jobs in SA, they will go there.

Austin is a bit full of itself. And life is getting a bit worse every year. But there are still a lot of reasons to live here. It ain't for everyone. I wish fewer people would move here, regardless of age.
Good to know. I'm sure San Antonio has changed a lot since you were roaming the hallways of your high school in your bell bottoms or KISS shirt. San Antonio has changed a lot since 2010 when your parents moved. In 2010 the Pearl didn't resemble anything close to what it does today, the lower Broadway area didn't have the 1k plus apartments along it as it does today (a couple more major complexes under construction right now along lower Broadway and the Riverwalk), and the Museum Reach and Mission Reach Riverwalk extensions were still under construction. I bought a place in the Southtown area in 2011 and in the few years I have lived there it has changed dramatically also. Southtown now has become a big foodie destination and many tourists are now starting to walk the whole mile south of downtown to dine and drink in the area.

The millennials choosing Austin comment was directed at Cbach. San Antonio is home to USAA, HEB, NuStar, Valero, Tesoro, Whataburger, AT&T Mobile division, Rackspace, Frost Bank, CST Brands, Visionworks, BioMed, Southwest Research, KCI, and Clear Channel. Is San Antonio an industry leader in finance, tech or oil and gas? Of course not! But, it has a larger finance industry then Austin, and it has a larger oil and gas industry then Austin. It also has a large medical center, something Austin currently doesn't have. Where am I missing this professional grade work? Why lead in one sector when you can be strong in many? I welcome being a military city, it's one job sector that will never crash.

There is a ton of reasons to live in Austin or any other Texas city. If someone thinks Dallas, Houston, Austin, or San Antonio "sucks" or is boring, then you must be a boring and dull person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,760,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Any proof that this is a direct result of Katrina evacuees?
You mean like DNA ?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,759,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
You mean like DNA ?
I was thinking more along the lines of statistics. Something that shows me this isn't a textbook case of Houstonians blaming any and every thing they can on Katrina evacuees.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,320,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Not when I drive on it.

But then again I (& 90% of all austinites) don't use it to commute....& avoid it when it makes sense to avoid it.

But perhaps it's a parking lot when you are on it? (& this is who's fault?)

I'm going to never visit Houston again because of I 10. The fact that I'm never ON I 10.... doesn't change the fact that Houston is an awful city because of I 10.

(note - I grew up in Htown, love the restaurants, love the museums, love the cheap hotels on weekends & avoid crowded freeways when it makes sense to.)
What are you talking about?

I visit Austin a few times a year and even on weekends 35 has very heavy traffic.

I don't think Austin sucks based on a freeway.

Actually I haven't called any city awful...

Last edited by rynetwo; 07-25-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM

15,494 posts, read 10,426,487 times
"New data suggests Millennials prefer San Antonio & Houston over Austin & Dallas"

Oh thank goodness, this is wonderful news. Yes folks, just pass on through or don't stop at all, nothing to see here in Dallas. Yes sir, San Antonio and Houston are the places to be. It's to crowded here in Big D, I'm more than happy to shut the gate.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,913,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
THIS. Dallas only appears to be slightly "prettier" in certain parts because of the zoning, but get outside of those areas and Dallas has plenty of not so pretty parts too. neither city are overly beautiful but i think Houston has the better natural amenities. agreed, Austin is the most beautiful city in the state.

great point.. its a shame there is hate amongst our cities. the rivalry i understand.. but some people genuinely seem to hate some of these places.
In terms of natural beauty between Dallas & Houston, its a coin toss, really.

It all comes down to these things & what you prefer:

Do you like a little change in elevation, but lack of trees (mostly wide open prairie)? Then I'd choose Dallas.

Do you like dense greenery, tall pine trees, Spanish Moss draped 100 year old Live Oaks, & tropical vegetation/palm trees at the expense of no change in elevation? Then I'd choose Houston.

Houston is a coastal city.

Dallas is a land locked city.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM

213 posts, read 386,512 times
Houston = Tootsies
Austin= Whole Food's Market
Dallas = Neiman Marcus
San Antonio = HEB

Houston = St. Regis
Austin= W
Dallas = The Joule
San Antonio = Hotel Valencia

Houston = Maserati
Austin= Subaru
Dallas = Lexus
San Antonio = Toyota

Houston = Mercedes Benz S-Class
Austin= Mercedes Benz E-wagons or CLA
Dallas= Mercedes Benz E-Class
San Antonio = Mecedes Benz C-Class

Houston = international socialite and patron of the arts
Austin = liberal yoga enthusiast and vegan queen
Dallas = aggressive social climber and fashion maven
San Antonio = I dunno

Houston = champagne
Austin= draft beer
Dallas = martini
San Antonio = tequila

Houston = tacos al carbon - fajitas
Austin= chile con carne - queso
Dallas = frozen margarita
San Antonio = Puffy Taco

Someone left out San Antonio.
References are fruity pebbles for any who posts these lists including myself.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,413,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Houston = Tootsies
Austin= Whole Food's Market
Dallas = Neiman Marcus
San Antonio = HEB

Houston = St. Regis
Austin= W
Dallas = The Joule
San Antonio = Hotel Valencia

Houston = Maserati
Austin= Subaru
Dallas = Lexus
San Antonio = Toyota

Houston = Mercedes Benz S-Class
Austin= Mercedes Benz E-wagons or CLA
Dallas= Mercedes Benz E-Class
San Antonio = Mecedes Benz C-Class

Houston = international socialite and patron of the arts
Austin = liberal yoga enthusiast and vegan queen
Dallas = aggressive social climber and fashion maven
San Antonio = I dunno

Houston = champagne
Austin= draft beer
Dallas = martini
San Antonio = tequila

Houston = tacos al carbon - fajitas
Austin= chile con carne - queso
Dallas = frozen margarita
San Antonio = Puffy Taco

Someone left out San Antonio.
References are fruity pebbles for any who posts these lists including myself.
My list was not to be taken seriously....Hey that self consciousness is showing cute fat girl from Houston

Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,422,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In terms of natural beauty between Dallas & Houston, its a coin toss, really.

It all comes down to these things & what you prefer:

Do you like a little change in elevation, but lack of trees (mostly wide open prairie)? Then I'd choose Dallas.

Do you like dense greenery, tall pine trees, Spanish Moss draped 100 year old Live Oaks, & tropical vegetation/palm trees at the expense of no change in elevation? Then I'd choose Houston.

Houston is a coastal city.

Dallas is a land locked city.
Overall, Dallas neighborhoods are prettier

Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,913,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Overall, Dallas neighborhoods are prettier
True, but Dallas' suburbs lack character. They all look the same. From Forney to Frisco you couldn't tell a difference which one you are in at any given moment. Once barren prairie farmland that has developed into a soulless, treeless jungle of parking lots , strip malls, McMansions, big box stores, & fast food chains.

Houston's are a little bit different. You can be smack dab in the middle of Sherwood Forest in one suburb, on the coast in another, or in the middle of a prairie like Dallas' out in far West Houston & Katy. There's just a greater variety of topography down in Southeast Texas vs. that of monotonous North Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas