Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been doing a lot of research in anticipation of purchasing a lake home on Toledo Bend. While we are getting pretty knowledgeable about things like lake level and restrictions, we would like to hear from anyone who has spent a lot of time there about what the micro climate is like around the lake, things like prevailing wind direction and speed at different times of the year, etc.

We recently looked at a home that was on the main body of the lake, but around a corner (so to speak) so that it had a southern exposure. The southern exposure was nice now (Fall) because the sun was warm and the wind happened to be blowing from the north, so we were protected from it. I was thinking that while this was nice now, this same spot could be uncomfortably warm and with out a breeze if the prevailing wind is from the north. I've heard that being on the main lake can be quite intense during a storm, but then maybe that is more than offset if it results in a nice breeze during the Summer months. We've seen some places that were deep up narrow coves and while safe from wind and waves, I would think these places would be like a furnace in the Summer.

Is the prevailing wind from the north, or are there significant seasonal changes? Is there a preferred exposure-north, east, or south? If temps drop, do they hit harder (frost?) in some spots more than others? What's the "perfect" spot look like? Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM

450 posts, read 2,054,775 times
Smile I know that there must be lots of wind from south cause...

Hey! I am the guy in the process of purchasing land on the North lake up on the Louisiana side across from Huxley. When I visited in September there was a nice breeze coming up from the south. The owner of the land said that was common in the Summer. The land has a southern exposure and a large sandy beach deposited there from those southerly breezes. I would think winter would have breezes from the North. That is the case here in Pensacola. I am also told that the piney woods acts as an insulator in the winter.

I have deliberately sought out land on the main body as I like wind and waves. I agree that some of those inlet bays and bayous must be beastly hot in the Summer. Anyways, I was on the land around September 18-19th and it was a refreshing breeze across alot of open water from the south.

I will visit the Bend over the Christmas break to see what I can do with the land in preparation for my retirement in a few short years. Also, there was alot of bank erosion from when the water was higher on the land. That would come from very frequent southerly winds.

Hey, keep in touch. I love talking about the lake. Can't wait to live there.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,599 times
Kurt,

I realize that this is an old post, however, I just discovered this web site.

I was born in Shreveport, raised in Baton Rouge and went to school at Northwestern in Natchitoches. I started fishing toledo bend the first year it was opened and have always wanted to have a place there. I'm 51 (52 in sept.) and have decided to start looking for a place I would like to retire. My goal is to retire on toledo bend the only problem is I live in Minneapolis, MN. (past 20 years)and have no idea how the lake is today. Most of my fishing was south of Pendleton bridge. Would you happen to know of any web sites that could help me get and idea of what's what around there?

LaMon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas