Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

I agree that Houston is the capital city of the Gulf as it's the most important but is Dallas really considered plains area city? I see it and especially ft worth as very Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree that Houston is the capital city of the Gulf as it's the most important but is Dallas really considered plains area city? I see it and especially ft worth as very Texan.
Yes, it absolutely is.

Here is the fallacy. You're thinking because Dallas is a Plains city and Houston is a Gulf city they can't also be Texas too. The Plains extends beyond state borders and goes from around Waco all the way up into Canada. Dallas is the largest and most important city in that region the same way Houston is for the Gulf.

As far as seeing the real Texas, I would argue you won't see it in Dallas or Houston because they are too big and whenever you get into an urban environment thats diverse, it blurs any cultural distinctions for a region. To really gage what region a city belongs to, you must venture outside the city into the small towns surrounding it. Thats where you can see North Texas belongs to the Plains region. Ive spent tons and tons of time in the Plains states and if I drove you though a small town in Iowa vs. a small town in North Texas, they would be hard to separate except for the demographics (small towns in Texas tend to still have good numbers of Mexicans and African Americans).

Here is the article in case you're interested:

Dallas, Capital of the Great Plains | FrontBurner | D Magazine

And the map:

http://images.forbes.com/special-rep...ssets/gate.jpg

Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfjdsyj View Post
Texas is a state of mind. Wave at your neighbor, live and let live, and show an honest concern for your fellow man. There's many other things too, but it's a state of mind and a way of living.
I wouldn't call Texas live and let live outside the major cities and a few other spots. Texas loves to cram conservative/political Christianity down people's throats. You get a break from that in the big cities and some suburbs thanks to the diversity there.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I wouldn't call Texas live and let live outside the major cities and a few other spots. Texas loves to cram conservative/political Christianity down people's throats. You get a break from that in the big cities and some suburbs thanks to the diversity there.
How do you know that Texas loves to cram that stuff down people's throats? From politicians looking for votes? I taught school in a little town of 6000 and the knew I was a democrat, nothing ever got shoved down my throat. Though I did hear statements I generally disagreed with, that's to be expected when a town swings so heavily one way. I never felt like anyone was trying to single me out though. That rarely happens in daily life. Only politics.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How do you know that Texas loves to cram that stuff down people's throats? From politicians looking for votes? I taught school in a little town of 6000 and the knew I was a democrat, nothing ever got shoved down my throat. Though I did hear statements I generally disagreed with, that's to be expected when a town swings so heavily one way. I never felt like anyone was trying to single me out though. That rarely happens in daily life. Only politics.
Thats pretty much what I meant to say. But the politics says a lot...

Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
I know right! I don't get where these folks live that they experience this absolute wonderful Texan/Southern hospitality? They have to be white talking about an all white small conservative Christian majority town. The live and let live vibe is definitely in the major cities.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
As far as seeing the real Texas, I would argue you won't see it in Dallas or Houston because they are too big and whenever you get into an urban environment thats diverse, it blurs any cultural distinctions for a region.
Eh... yes and no. I agree that both cities have such a diverse blend of culture that's influenced by both out of state as well as out of country, that makes them feel and look very different from the rest of the state... but isn't that also something that at least in the modern era is also very representative of Texas? Houston and Dallas are indeed a very different strain of Texas than the rest of the state, and to a lesser extent so are San Antonio and Austin... but still very much Texan. Texas is a diverse state, and really it always has been. Six flags and all that (not the theme park either). It's a huge state that encompasses and bridges several regions, with huge variations in topography, weather, elevations, and above all... CULTURE. Diversity should be celebrated by all Texans, not just the stereotypical aspects of the cowboy in his ten-gallon hat and big cowboy boots rustling cattle on the lone prairie.

The big cities are just as integral to Texas' authenticity as any small town or small city.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't know. I grew up in Houston and it always felt more like the south, ie Louisiana.

When I traveled to Austin up the hill country and even further up to Dallas I got the impression I was in the "real" Texas. Like the kinda texas I read about in Texas monthly.
That's exactly the experience I had. When I lived in Houston I thought it was Texas. Then I went to UT and encountered people from all over Texas and was exposed to Texas culture that is lacking in Houston. Like Texas country music, brisket, jackalopes, etc.

SE Texas probably has more ties to Louisiana and to Asia and the Middle East than to the rest of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas