Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM

9 posts, read 30,116 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to interview with a company in Texarkana. We now live in the southeast. We have 3 kids, so I need good schools and safe community. I don't know anything about Texas so any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,296 times
Default Hmmmm...

I used to live in New Boston, 26 miles from T-Town. Moved away in '99 because of the poor job opportunities and declining, ahh.. everything! My youngest Son is the only one that went to school there, and it was bad! Lots of gang crap..metal detectors at every door! He got pepper sprayed by a "Hall Monitor"!! for trying to protect himself from bullies!

Since going back to visit, I noticed that the town itself is really growing...lots of new "chain" stores and restaurants....complete with lots of road building and repairs. So, I'm sure the job market is better than ever, but hear tell that there are many Katrina victims that moved there, as well.

I can't say there is no good side, but if there is, I couldn't tell you where to look.....

Good Luck!!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 AM

27 posts, read 148,769 times
LUVMYFAM5,
Texarkana is a great cit to live in it's a small town with a big city feel. Pleasant Grove is by far the best area to live in Texarkana, it's very safe, best school district in town, and your close to all the high end shopping, and moderate level shopping, with direct access to the freeway. May I as what company is your husband interviewing for? What are you planning to spend on a home?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,705 times
Default New Boston

I do not know where Darlyn0217 is speaking of. I am a teacher at the New Boston Middle School. I am a life-long resident of New Boston and attended the schools here. There have never been a problem with gangs, there are no metal detectors on the campuses nor are there "hall monitors" with pepper spray.
New Boston has a population of approximately 4800 and is located 22 miles west of Texarkana. Our school system rivals any other of like size in academics and extra-curricular.

Please email me if you would like other information at my school email: amccarter@nbschools.net.

Good luck!

P.S. I am a former banker and corporate credit manager for an oil company. These companies were in Texarkana. I may be able to share business information also.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM

870 posts, read 3,081,296 times
Default I was talkin bout Texarkana

New Boston had decent schools....Texarkana High has the metal detectors...and gangs!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,485 times
Default Short term lease available

I am a single retired man who travels frequently. I would consider leasing my home for short term periods of 2-30 days, or longer possibly, for anyone needing a large home on a temporary basis.

I live in a country setting, 7 miles from downtown, in a beautiful 2400 sf log home, 3/2/2, firplace, with two large fishing ponds, one with a large redwood deck overlooking on 8 acres.

The home would be completely furnished.

Any interest please contact Glyn at ryanglyn@aol.com

Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,466 times
I just moved back to Texarkana, from Dallas, to escape the stress and crime of the big city. I was born and raised in Texarkana, and have so far been happy to be back. It is pretty quiet here, but there is actually a thriving arts scene, and plenty of places to shop. There are the run-of-the-mill chain eateries such as Outback, Chili's, On The Border, Olive Garden, etc., but also some outstanding locally owned restaurants as well.
In Dallas I was happy to have just a Starbucks, a Target, and a Whole Foods, and Texarkana has two of those for me just right down the street. If you are really hankering for a natural foods store, we have a really excellent, (albeit small) one called The Granary.
We have a beautiful city park, and though I wish we had more hike and bike trails, there are some decent places to explore. Plus, if you love nature, the terrain here is very lush and green, and lot's of wildlife abounds everywhere. It is brutally hot and humid in the summer though!
If you are moving here, PLEASE take my advise and try to live north of I-30, in the Pleasant Grove area. The schools are excellent, safe, and the neighborhood is very much the same. A little bit of pretentiousness abounds in this part of town, and like any other city, Texarkana is full of people trying really hard to keep up with their neighbors.
If you DO go south of say, College Drive or New Boston Rd., be prepared to be shocked. The further south you go in this town, into the older sections, it looks as if a bunch of meth addicts were left in charge of pretty much everything. It is horribly depressing. Downtown is trying SOOOO hard to come back, and a lot of locals are trying to help, but it has a ways to go. Most cities of our size in America seem to have the same fate.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM

123 posts, read 359,077 times
Yeah I must agree with the above poster. One good thing is that plans are moving forward to tear down all the public housing in Texarkana, Tx and replace it with town homes and in order to live there residents must work which would get rid of a lot of the trouble makers that hang around there. Another good thing is the building of the brand new Texas A&M University here. Then your kids when they finish high school could attend the university if they so desired. If someone told me 15 yrs ago that Texarkana would grow like it is now I'd think they were crazy. Anyway, good luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 38,582 times
Texarkana has bad schools, rampant meth problems and weird people. Just go to any of the 2 Wal-Marts. You'll see.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 AM

11 posts, read 49,927 times
I think one of the best things to happen to Texarkana is the new University of Texas A&m @ Texarkana. This will change the mix of people in Texarkana. More and more college educated instructors.

I'm very happy to see the growth and development in Texarkana. Also, go visit the Perot Theater, it is a gem.

Texarkana also had commuter air service to DFW, daily Amtrak service, Greyhound bus service and a small city transit system.

Major highways into Texarkana are I-30, US 82, US 59, US 71 ( soon to be I-49)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas