Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 PM

131 posts, read 187,470 times

Advertisements

I want buy or build a nice home in one of those towns.Give me some ideas please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 PM

105 posts, read 145,856 times
Those are both desolate, dry and basically ugly places. Van horn is a good place ( well the only place perhaps) to get gasoline within 120 miles of el paso ( well sierra blanca has a station), In van horn however there are a couple of cheap motels and several different convenience. Pecos is twice as big! whoopie - what in the world made you think of those towns? Do you have an outstanding arrest warrant and need a place where no one would ever think of looking?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,630,394 times
Default Space Port Near Van Horn

If I'm not mistaken, a commercial space port is going to be built near Van Horn. ET trying to return home?

Anyway, here are some web pages to view:

http://www.vanhorntexas.org/
http://www.pecos.net/news/pages/pecos.htm

Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
Those are both desolate, dry and basically ugly places. Van horn is a good place ( well the only place perhaps) to get gasoline within 120 miles of el paso ( well sierra blanca has a station), In van horn however there are a couple of cheap motels and several different convenience. Pecos is twice as big! whoopie - what in the world made you think of those towns? Do you have an outstanding arrest warrant and need a place where no one would ever think of looking?
I think if I was in trouble I would choose a large city to hide.You know small towns has cops who are board and picking on a stranger would make his day.
I have run from big cities and crowds all my life.I have spent a little time around both of these towns in the past and Eastland also.I can't find a realtor or land company in Pecos,Van Horn or Lordsburg NM.I've lived on the east coast and northwest so dry is fine.I have saw enough rain and snow to do me for a life time.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,100 times
Default Van Horn of course, West of the Pecos

That's easy dude, Pecos is flat as a pancake. Van Horn is in mountains and is a great little town. I live in Columbus Ohio now, lived in florida, dallas area, etc. I would love to move back to Van Horn and hated to leave. It's very different though and it's a really laid back friendly little town. Land and homes are cheap. Folks are not very afluent there, very blue collar. But you know, you drive down the street and people wave, say hello, are polite and very neighborly.

Van Horn is 90 miles west of pecos, 160 from Odessa, 120 from El Paso to the west. 90 miles north is carlesbad caverns and guadelupe peak national park, beautiful. Although land and homes are cheap, hard to make a living out there. If you have a little money though, can live very very well compared to elswhere. It's very safe, peaceful, serene place to be. My Dad spent most of his life there, I went to school and graduated there. Would love to move back if I could talk my wife into it. If you want to move there, email me, I can hook you up with a few contacts to help get you started.

When the sun sets over those mountains to the west, beautiful, beautiful. Van Horn embodies west texas country greatness and desert mountain beauty. Cowboys there are real deal, folks are outgoing. It's very different, in the best way.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,799,536 times
Van Horn embodies west texas country greatness and desert mountain beauty. Cowboys there are real deal, folks are outgoing. It's very different, in the best way.

I agree. I love it over there.

The sunsets are stupendous. I was headed home, traveling east on I-10 from Phoenix to Midland. I hit west El Paso just as the sun was starting to go down.

I had a magnificent panorama of blues, grays and golds all the way past Van Horn. I could see it both in front of me and in my rear view mirror. The hair stood up on my arms.

Sounds silly, but that's the way it was!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Van Horn embodies west texas country greatness and desert mountain beauty. Cowboys there are real deal, folks are outgoing. It's very different, in the best way.

I agree. I love it over there.

The sunsets are stupendous. I was headed home, traveling east on I-10 from Phoenix to Midland. I hit west El Paso just as the sun was starting to go down.

I had a magnificent panorama of blues, grays and golds all the way past Van Horn. I could see it both in front of me and in my rear view mirror. The hair stood up on my arms.

Sounds silly, but that's the way it was!
I know everyone is different but I love Van Horn.At one time I was free in Life in my profession amd all I did was travel and love this area.My mother was dying of cancer in her 50s so I moved to NC and stayed.I had to make a living and I got into real estate an did well but I am not happy.I go to Los Angeles 2 times a year on vacation.I drive just so I can stay a few days in west Tx in this area.We
own several businesses in NC and if I could sell some of this especially a couple of our motels I would love to spend a few months a year there.I am near 50 now and I would do this within the next 2 yrs.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,799,536 times
I am near 50 now and I would do this within the next 2 yrs.

Well, I hope you can make it work! The only problem for me in this area is the fact that it's not anywhere near snow skiing....and the summers are so hot.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM

852 posts, read 3,802,744 times
I've been to Van Horn twice and couldn't imagine living there. Good luck to those who try.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 25,811 times
I have been there many times when I lived in El Paso and had to go on road trips to investigate people for DoD. I liked it , yeh its dry, Hey surprise! ITs THE DESERT!!! I use to stop in a mexican cafe, that Madden use to stop at, for lunch. I liked it OK but I spent most of my time with High way patrolmen or Border Patrol guys.
I like Alpine more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas