Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
That Texas is all desert and cactus and we all have an oil well in our back yard or at least within view of where we live...LOL
I wish we did have oil in our backyard cuz maybe then we wouldnt have to complain to the sorry government about high gas prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 37,774 times
I was raised in Southern California and our family moved to S.E. Texas. Two of my siblings were already married with children and stayed in the L.A. and Orange County areas. About 10 years later, a sister and her family decided to make the move from the rat-race and came to Texas. Her kids were teenagers by then and all of their friends were concerned because they would have to ride horses to school and tie them to a hitchin' post outside the one-room schoolhouse, and they'd have to wear cowboy and cowgirl clothes (complete with lassos).

When I was a senior in high school in Irving, TX, we had a foreign exchange student from Holland. He said they have the same stereotyping of Texas and Texans in Europe.....that we all ride horses everywhere we go (or take the family in a buckboard wagon to church on Sundays), wear cowboy boots, hats and chaps, etc., and that Texas is nothing but one huge desert full of cactus, tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes.

Another stereotype is that of the people of Vidor, TX. Don't believe ANYTHING you hear or read. It had a Klan reputation many moons ago, but outsiders and know-it-alls have tried (and sadly succeeded) in keeping that negative rep alive. Racism was, is and always will be in ALL parts of the world. It is not exclusive to Vidor, TX and it's not exclusive of whites to blacks. Vidor is a safe community with nice people. They've had government "plants" put to work in grocery stores, Wal Mart, etc. to see if they can catch citizens giving them a hard time, and no one bothers them. Many blacks get on TV or speak to newspapers and magazines in an effort to get attention and to grandstand, and say they were harassed and chased out of town. Don't EVER believe that garbage!!! Vidor is situated right on Interstate 10 and many black people traveling that corridor stop in Vidor to eat, go to Wal Mart or get gas. Nobody bothers or harasses them. Heck, I've been hollered at while pumping gas and called names - in Vidor, Dallas, Wichita, KS...... Some people are just rude (and that's everywhere), but they aren't singling out any particular type or race of person to taunt. They're just morons riding around trying to show off in front of their friends.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
That all Texans liked and voted for Bush and are as dumb as he is. I travel frequently and really as soon as I say - I never voted for the worst president ever- people smile and some seem visibly relaxed.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
That all Texans liked and voted for Bush and are as dumb as he is. I travel frequently and really as soon as I say - I never voted for the worst president ever- people smile and some seem visibly relaxed.
You're really funny; I get quite a kick out the your posts. Not all Texans voted for Bush and although I'm not a Texan (I wasn't born here and therefore, I can't claim "citizenship" of this state) but live in Texas, I did vote for Bush.

Gosh, I don't get to boast as you do that "I have never voted for the worst President ever", but that's okay. I and many people I know who voted for Bush are not dumb and to tell you the truth, I don't think he is either. He may not be the brightest amongst us, but he isn't dumb. Quit blaming the entire mess on him. He didn't do it alone. Personally, I'm glad he did what he did when our country was attacked. Lord knows what we'll face in the future. Don't forget that many others agreed with the war and that includes someone who may have been our President, but thank God, she isn't ..... HRC.

As far as the economic aspect goes, I don't worry about that, but I do feel sorry for some of the people I know who are losing money like crazy in the stock market. The main reason I feel badly is because they're freaking out totally as money is their god. That's sad.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
I'll bet ANYTHING that you didn't bother to read either Bush's own 911 commission report OR the LIbby Indictment (which clearly builds a case against the adminsitration).

Not only is Bush dumb but he's dishonest.

Now are you going to give me more of your uniformed opinion or will you actually look up some of these documents and learn something?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I'll bet ANYTHING that you didn't bother to read either Bush's own 911 commission report OR the LIbby Indictment (which clearly builds a case against the adminsitration).

Not only is Bush dumb but he's dishonest.

Now are you going to give me more of your uniformed opinion or will you actually look up some of these documents and learn something?
No, just consider me uninformed and leave it at that.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Howdy fellow Texans, and new Texas residents.

In your honest opinion, what do you think is the worst stereotype us texans have to overcome.
I think the worst stereotype would have to be that most people have a Hollyweird view of us. For example, Were all oil rich millionaires that are as ruthless and arrogant as JR Ewing, have glamourous alcoholic wives like Sue Ellen, we all drive Mercedes Benz or Pick Up trucks with gun racks in the rear window, wear 10 Gallon hats & cowboy boots, live on sprawling ranches like Southfork, think Willie Nelson is GOD, and think that anyone or anything outside of our borders simply dont matter.

We all know there is some element of truth to the above but only a small fraction.
What do you think is the absolute WORST stereotype that us TEXANS have to overcome and live down???

Jake

Willie Nelson isn't GOD?!?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Willie Nelson isn't GOD?!?
Sure he is.

And Larry the Cable Guy is one of the three Wise Men.

I wonder, do people from out of state really think of all Texans as hicks with beat-up, rusty pickup trucks? I mean, really???

Old 11-24-2008, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,319 times
Not really, I just wish I had all the metal from those belt buckles................

Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 PM

28 posts, read 63,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Howdy fellow Texans, and new Texas residents.

In your honest opinion, what do you think is the worst stereotype us texans have to overcome.
I think the worst stereotype would have to be that most people have a Hollyweird view of us. For example, Were all oil rich millionaires that are as ruthless and arrogant as JR Ewing, have glamourous alcoholic wives like Sue Ellen, we all drive Mercedes Benz or Pick Up trucks with gun racks in the rear window, wear 10 Gallon hats & cowboy boots, live on sprawling ranches like Southfork, think Willie Nelson is GOD, and think that anyone or anything outside of our borders simply dont matter.

We all know there is some element of truth to the above but only a small fraction.
What do you think is the absolute WORST stereotype that us TEXANS have to overcome and live down???

Jake
I think the worst one is some people still think that Texans are inbreeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas