Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
1. You could be seeing the stars of tomorrow.
2. It's a big community event in small towns.
3. You have kids that play there.
4. It's actually pretty good football.
5. A lot of the real innovation in football starts at the high school level. The NFL is finally opening up to spread offenses, but high school and college coaches have been running those for over a decade. Think it's a coincidence that a quarter of the NFL's current starting qb's are from Texas high schools?

Just a few reasons.
We all agree with this
that's the same reasons I like youth soccer and basketball

Here's my issue, if I live in one of the biggest cities in the country (Houston) that has several professional sports
I don't understand why HS football gets more attention from local TV stations than the NBA (Rockets), MLB (Astros) and MLS (Dynamo) teams.

To make it worse... I never hear ANYTHING about the Houston Cougars and Rice football teams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nothing wrong with loving your sport
it's just that here in Texas is taken to a level that is almost insane

I remember when the Houston Texans had a good preseason last year...
right away people were saying "We are Superbowl bound" ... How does that make sense?
Because the team won the division the last two seasons (and a playoff game each season) before with a 10-6 and 12-4 record. Not because of the preseason. They did okay this preseason also and people aren't talking Super Bowl. They are one of five undefeated teams now and people still are not saying Super Bowl.

Quote:
We all agree with this
that's the same reasons I like youth soccer and basketball

Here's my issue, if I live in one of the biggest cities in the country (Houston) that has several professional sports
I don't understand why HS football gets more attention from local TV stations than the NBA (Rockets), MLB (Astros) and MLS (Dynamo) teams.

To make it worse... I never hear ANYTHING about the Houston Cougars and Rice football teams
Because with high school football, you are covering more than one team. Rockets aren't even in season yet. Nothing is going on. When they start playing, hs football is almost in playoff mode. The Astros are also just one team that plays the vast majority of their season at a different time. UH and Rice get little coverage.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with loving your sport
it's just that here in Texas is taken to a level that is almost insane

I remember when the Houston Texans had a good preseason last year...
right away people were saying "We are Superbowl bound" ... How does that make sense
?
Keep in mind the previous couple seasons, the Texans were in the playoffs and had +10 win seasons.

That's not really insane, just expecting more out of a team that was supposed to win more.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:12 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=radiolibre99;36492539]Your posts jeep getting longer and more emotional. I think you've invested too much time of this forum. I really don't see how you could've taken so much offense to me merely stating that I couldn't live in
Offense? LOL How can I take offense if the point makes no sense? And hey, do you honestly think I give a darn how much time you think I have spent on this forum? Also, I take no offense at all. Once again, you place far too much importance of your own opinion of yourself. That is pure silliness. Who cares a lick where you live or don't live, and I have nothing at all against you in that way But of course, since you mention it, seems like you said a while back you live in California because your company -- whatever it is -- transferred you out there.

Quote:
Yokum but would love to live in Marble Falls because the former I find boring the later I find beautiful. How does that translate into acting like a superior smug? You can't explain that except that you have these weird pop psychological assessments of me based on my posts. But that's what all this comes down to. I'm just blunt and you think that being that way is akin to thinking I'm superior when it just means that I'm blunt about certain things in texas I grew up with that never appealed to me. What's you're telling me basically; is if you can't say anything nice then keep your trap shut.
You really don't get it, do you? LOL I don't give a damn what your opinion is of these small towns. You have every right to your opinion about them. My only point was that your presentation of the reasons you don't like them are condescending and shallow, and that I am not the only poster who has made the said point. Again, a deflection. You can be as blunt as you want, nothing wrong with that. My main point -- and I am sorry if you don't see it -- was that so so many of those who move into a small town have an attitude problem that should be obvious as to why they are not welcomed with open arms. Then, they speak of the closed-mindedness, never really having the self-perception and insight to see that they are the real root of the problem.

Quote:
Last, where are the moderators? TexasReb gets to write three page screeds against me with personal attacks and totally derailed the thread over what should've been a two post squabble at best.
Then why are you keeping it up, RL99?

Quote:
Yet, I get an infraction for mentioning a certain demographic that exists in Texas (cough, TexasReb).
Let's put that one to rest, right now, RL. I haven't "reported" you for any infraction, and have never done so in the past with anyone else. That is not my way; I prefer to settle differences in a personal and direct manner, and amicably if at all possible. So if you got an "infraction" notice for anything you wrote, it wasn't by me. And I never attacked you personally, I responded to your replies and posts man to man. Perhaps you are being a bit overly sensitive...?

Quote:
Is this forum moderated by only baby boomer types that live in the burbs or small towns that get uppity about anyone dismissing their idealized culture, but turn around and let anything fly, including racist and elitist comments about immigrants, poor people, city life, etc?
What "racist and elitist" -- fer gosh sakes -- comments are you talking about??? And who has been uppity? Can you point just one out? I just don't understand where you are coming from on any of this...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Because the team won the division the last two seasons (and a playoff game each season) before with a 10-6 and 12-4 record. Not because of the preseason. They did okay this preseason also and people aren't talking Super Bowl. They are one of five undefeated teams now and people still are not saying Super Bowl
Ok, that's a good point

Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I do agree that UH and Rice get next to little coverage unless they're just doing phenomenal. I think I hear way more about UT and A&M. Granted they're the big flagships but c'mon, there's no local coverage of the cougars and the owls??

Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
UH gets some. Both have their own shows on CSN.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
The local media used to tear down UH and Rice. Even when UT was on a losing tear years ago, UT still dominated coverage. It seemed to be a cultural thing endemic to Houston. You would not see such a disproportion in the Memphis or Orlando media, where U Memphis and UCF are in similar situations. Just Houston. That was starting to change for UH with their newly resurrected sports prosperity, but they killed a lot of positive momentum by losing bad to UTSA. They are in a position to change it, however, with the things like the new stadium and hiring Kelvin Sampson, etc.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I do agree that UH and Rice get next to little coverage unless they're just doing phenomenal. I think I hear way more about UT and A&M. Granted they're the big flagships but c'mon, there's no local coverage of the cougars and the owls??
I hear more about Katy High School football team than UH and Rice combined

Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
I hear more about Katy High School football team than UH and Rice combined
Where do you "hear" what you hear about sports in Houston?

The Houston Chronicle website has lots of UH and Rice football news:

College sports | News, Scores & Schedules | HoustonChronicle.com - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas