Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
High school football is what I don't understand. Why would grown adults care about high school football?
I got it figured out
it's way overhyped, watch any of those games shown on TV and look at the stands
most of the time you won't see more than 50 people on the stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
High school football is what I don't understand. Why would grown adults care about high school football?
1. You could be seeing the stars of tomorrow.
2. It's a big community event in small towns.
3. You have kids that play there.
4. It's actually pretty good football.
5. A lot of the real innovation in football starts at the high school level. The NFL is finally opening up to spread offenses, but high school and college coaches have been running those for over a decade. Think it's a coincidence that a quarter of the NFL's current starting qb's are from Texas high schools?

Just a few reasons.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM

568 posts, read 901,473 times
I like High School football but I don't go out of my way to watch it. Sometimes you get a kid destined for the NFL vs a bunch of Joe Schmoes which makes for great highlights.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
High school football tends to be even more popular in small podunk towns where there really isn't anything to do.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
=kidicarus89;36462492]High school football tends to be even more popular in small podunk towns where there really isn't anything to do.
Then don't move to those "Podunk towns" and/or don't watch it. What is your point here (not just you, but several posters) other than an attempt to parade some kind of self-deluded belief in your own sense of intellectual superiority?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
=Nodpete;36424613]It's the heat, that horrible Texas heat just fries their brains and they think football is important.
If you are serious, then an alternative viewpoint is that the heat has fried your own brain into believing that your personal priorities as to what is important or isn't actually matter a lick to anyone else.

Now if you are must making an ironic point, then please accept my sincere apologies. After all, sometimes on City-Data anymore, it is hard to tell for sure.

So it is one of those "if the shoe fits, wear it" type things, if it doesn't, then don't...and I apologize for any mis-understanding.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
=shyguylh;36431114]I take it you're being sarcastic, but I seriously do think it is. I know for me, anyway, if I am REALLY trying to talk to someone, I want the television, radio etc OFF as in 100% off completely, and no I don't think that's selfish. I absolutely cannot have a meaningful conversation with someone if the television or music is blaring, it's just not happening.
Welllll, the logical answer to that question is do not go over and visit people who like to watch ball-games on holidays. Makes good sense to me at least!

Quote:
Everyone else can have their Thanksgiving Day occasion as they want it, but as for us 2, it's no TV on Turkey Day, at least during the meal anyway, and that no one cares about a game means no one is rushing through anything due to anxiously awaiting what's about to come on. Besides, I think it's kind of ridiculous that in the case of NFL games on Thanksgiving or NBA games on Christmas, that we expect the players, coaches, broadcasters, to say nothing of the working class persons such as popcorn vendors and security personnel, to all sacrifice time with their family on the holiday because the consumer demands a game as entertainment on a holiday.
If that is the policy in your own home, then more power to you. On a related tangent, businesses of whatever variety are not in the business of making political statements of the sort you seem to expect. And I say this as one is not a "big business" conservative at all, but a paleo-conservative of the old States Rights variety. That is why I say of your assertions sound a little agenda driven by something of your own. No one owes anyone a job or a living, and far as I know no one is forced to work for any given company; they apply and accept the terms of employment of their own free-will.

Quote:
And yes, the same goes for retail workers having to work on Black Friday so shoppers can get a head start on Christmas shopping.
So then boycott the stores in question and let them know the reason why. Many workers love to get the time and a half and double-time pay. Do you own a business of your own and employee anyone and pay wages? If not? Then what are your own credentials to make demands on what those who actually do know how to run them?

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-11-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then don't move to those "Podunk towns" and/or don't watch it. What is your point here (not just you, but several posters) other than an attempt to parade some kind of self-deluded belief in your own sense of intellectual superiority?
Why do you guys get so uptight about the small town ribbing? A lot of the small towns are boring and there is nothing much else to do besides go watch a high school football game. Not everything about small town life is charming, man. You guys sometimes act as though ribbing on a small town is like kicking a crippled kid or something. It's not about thinking that they're better than someone else but that in many many people's eyes, they're boring. That's it.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
It's a myth that high school football is only popular in small towns. I'm from Austin and stadiums are lit up and full all over the city.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
It's a myth that high school football is only popular in small towns. I'm from Austin and stadiums are lit up and full all over the city.
Completely agree. HS Football is HUGE in the suburbs. The best teams over the past 10 years have traditionally been suburban. SLC, WL, LT, Pville, Katy, Schertz (steele), Trinity, Madison, Pearland, dozens of others....all suburban areas.

Having lived in a small town, a big city & suburb, I will say that HS football is more universally followed (local paper, local radio, senior citizens with no kids etc.) in a small or medium sized town than it is in a city or suburb. But the quality of the teams & the packed stadiums show that HS football is also a big event in the Suburbs.

Last edited by hound 109; 09-12-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas