Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Pronounce the Following Words -- Texas and Bowie?
Tex-izz (Native Texan) 3 5.45%
Tex-iss (Native Texan) 7 12.73%
Tex-izz (Non-native) 0 0%
Tex-iss (Non-native) 4 7.27%
Bow-ee (Native Texan) 6 10.91%
Boo-ee (Native Texan) 21 38.18%
Bow-ee (Non-native) 3 5.45%
Boo-ee (Non-native) 3 5.45%
I use both interchangeably 0 0%
Don't care/No opinion 6 10.91%
Other (please explain) 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That is a good point RnD. I probably should have included "Tex-us" as a choice.
That is my vote also. Too bad you can't amend a poll.

I know that TexasReb is a really intelligent guy, so I mean nothing negative in this comment. But it is an interesting illustration to me of how myopic we can be as a result of our lifetime of habits, when we later recognize an alternative as valid, that we previously did not think of. Old habits... It is one of those moments.

Funny, I never realized there was an alternative to "Tex-us", other than "Tejas" (pronounced "Te-has"), Spanish pronounciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJaKETNhudA

This might be interesting to some, although oddly enough it leaves out "Texas".

Texas Pronunciation Guide | Texas Almanac

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-26-2014 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=CptnRn;36653815]That is my vote also. Too bad you can't amend a poll.

I know that TexasReb is a really intelligent guy, so I mean nothing negative in this comment. But it is an interesting illustration to me of how myopic we can be as a result of our lifetime of habits, when we later recognize an alternative as valid, that we previously did not think of. Old habits... It is one of those moments.
No offence taken at all, CptnRn!

Here is another source from the nationwide Harvard Dialect study, that is kinda interesting. The question is: How one pronounces the final consonant in "Texas."

Here is the nationwide map of results:

Dialect Survey Results

And here is the isolated Texas result:

a. [s] (71.31%)
b. [z] (22.50%)
c. either one (5.84%)
d. other (0.35%)

This seems to square generally with the results of this forum poll.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Other Texas locations I've never been 100% sure how to pronounce

Atascocita
Palestine
Hutto
Corsicana
Monahans
Cleburne
Harleton
Uncertain
PA-lu-STEEN

COR-si-CAN-uh

The rest I believe sound basically like they're spelled. I could be wrong on that though!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
The Yankees say ClebOrne with special emphasis on the O as in born, rather than Cleburne with the burn sound. It's almost as if they have a spring on the O and it goes bouncing off . . . borg, borg, borg. LOL Drive you crazy!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
The Yankees say ClebOrne with special emphasis on the O as in born, rather than Cleburne with the burn sound. It's almost as if they have a spring on the O and it goes bouncing off . . . borg, borg, borg. LOL Drive you crazy!
LOL! How do they say "Denton?"

Dent-un or Den-ton? Or something else..?

I've always heard the first more often than the second.

Nice to know how "Palestine" is pronounced! I always wondered about that one.

Seems like I remember it being "tine" rhyming with "dine" rather than "teen" in church and Sunday school.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL! How do they say "Denton?"

Dent-un or Den-ton? Or something else..?

I've always heard the first more often than the second.

Nice to know how "Palestine" is pronounced! I always wondered about that one.

Seems like I remember it being "tine" rhyming with "dine" rather than "teen" in church and Sunday school.
Likewise on both counts. Dent-un or Dent'n (like one poster mentioned) all the same. I hear Yankees pronounce it Den-ton in their on-so-proper manner of speaking.

I do remember them talking about the Philistines (dine sound) in church, but I pronounce Palestine, TX with the 'teen' sound. I can't vouch for all the natives there, but the ones I do know also use the 'teen' sound.

LOL Guess we can't blame the Yankees too much, bless their hearts, they still haven't figured out what "fixin' to go to town" means yet.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Likewise on both counts. Dent-un or Dent'n (like one poster mentioned) all the same. I hear Yankees pronounce it Den-ton in their on-so-proper manner of speaking.

I do remember them talking about the Philistines (dine sound) in church, but I pronounce Palestine, TX with the 'teen' sound. I can't vouch for all the natives there, but the ones I do know also use the 'teen' sound.

LOL Guess we can't blame the Yankees too much, bless their hearts, they still haven't figured out what "fixin' to go to town" means yet.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

LOL!! Pore thangs....

Old 09-29-2014, 03:01 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,074,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Other Texas locations I've never been 100% sure how to pronounce

Atascocita
Palestine
Hutto
Corsicana
Monahans
Cleburne
Harleton
Uncertain
Until I moved to Houston I didn't know that Atascocita was pronounced uh-tusk-o-see-tuh. Prior to that I used to murder the name of that town.

Last edited by LilyLady; 09-29-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
Slightly off topic, but I used to live in Muleshoe.

Most folks around have no trouble pronouncing it. Simply "Mule Shoe"...

Could always tell someone from way outside the area when they would pronounce it "mull-es-hoe"

Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Burnet (a rural county seat of a central Texas county of the same name) is one that often gives people problems. One long thoroughfare in Austin is Burnet Road. Newcomers from outside Central Texas will typically pronounce it Bur-nette (as in Carol Burnette), when actually it is Burn-it (or possibly Burn-et, but never Bur-nette).

As I mentioned earlier, my mother was a native of Denton County and always pronounced it "Den-tun" (second syllable vowel having the same sound as the weight measure meaning 2,000 pounds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas