Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,680 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently a resident of Washington state and within the next 2~3 years I am thinking about moving to Texas with my family of four (me being the youngest) due to some unhappy experience. First of all to begin with, my family is not the typical "English" speaking family but Korean speakers (I'm the only one that is able to speak well), so this will impact on moving and finding jobs there. However, I was told that there are many korean communities in cities of Texas and hope to find some help. But anyways, I am also close to entering either RN or LPN program at the school I am attending and once I graduate, I plan to move to Texas. If I am fresh out of schooling with no experience, will there be opportunities in the bigger cities for a chance of landing a job there?

Also with the weather wise, unlike Seattle which right now is going into the wet season, I would like a place where the sun is not out there to kill us. Humidity is also high here so don't sweat about explaining me about that ( didn't meant to be rude sounding, but I read many forums here). Most like, the place where I want to stay for a long time somewhere in Texas, I would like it to be safe for my family yet place where commuting to work is easily available. Ah.. and also once I do decide to move to Big T, will it be better to rent a house for a bit (6 months ~ 1 year) than buy a house or just go straight to buying a house?

Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,930,475 times
Whats your budget?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,680 times
not sure right now, but once after I'm done with school, my family will have at least $75k+ saved up.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,952,882 times
The sun will kill you anywhere in Texas. Might want to look at a different state. Why Texas?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 AM

5,248 posts, read 6,333,260 times
Quote:
I would like a place where the sun is not out there to kill us. Humidity is also high here so don't sweat about explaining me about that
In Texas it is sunny, hot, humid, and dry (and just that -nothing else) for 4-5 months of the year. If you don't like hot sun, don't move to TX. The other months are more moderate.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,657 times
Believe it or not Houston is one of the cloudiest major cities in the country.

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

It's also well shaded with lots of trees. If you don't want to be overexposed to the sun, Houston is your winner.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,333,260 times
Quote:
Humidity is also high here so don't sweat about explaining me about that ( didn't meant to be rude sounding, but I read many forums here
Quote:
Houston is one of the cloudiest major cities in the country.
Houston may be cloudy, but Dallas just spent the last 4 months everday having a dewpoint above 65F, and most above 70F, which counts as 'oppressive'. Houston is even more humid than Dallas, so comparing sun + humidity between Seattle and Houston is a whole different ballgame.

Here's a comparison between Seattle and Houston for example:
The dewpoint in Houston is above 60F (muggy) daily from April through October and above 70F (oppressive) from May through October. Seattle's average dew point barely touches 60F and is below 55F most of the year. In other words, Seattle is not humid in a way that you would ever feel it in the temperature.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Houston may be cloudy, but Dallas just spent the last 4 months everday having a dewpoint above 65F, and most above 70F, which counts as 'oppressive'. Houston is even more humid than Dallas, so comparing sun + humidity between Seattle and Houston is a whole different ballgame.

Here's a comparison between Seattle and Houston for example:
The dewpoint in Houston is above 60F (muggy) daily from April through October and above 70F (oppressive) from May through October. Seattle's average dew point barely touches 60F and is below 55F most of the year. In other words, Seattle is not humid in a way that you would ever feel it in the temperature.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States
Well I don't remember anyone saying that Seattle and Houston were in any way comparable. But the OP clearly states that they aren't as concerned with humidity as they are the sun, so Houston has an obvious advantage.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,929,810 times
I've never thought the sun was overbearing in Texas as much as it is to me out here in the West. A dry heat on a sunny day like we have here in LA is unbearable because that sun just beams down on you like an ant under a magnifying glass. The sunny humid days in Houston bothers me more because of the sauna like humidity.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,929,810 times
Do you have any allergies, OP? In Houston I had allergies pretty bad but I think they were a bit worse in Austin due to the cedar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas