Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Because people are paranoid to the point of thinking that EVERY LITTLE THING that's new comes from their tax dollars.

There were those who were complaining about the renovations to TCU's football stadium because they thought their tax dollars were going to it... when in reality, it was paid for by donors and alumni.

Let's not act like 10 billion +\- is every little thing. That's a decent chunk of change and a number that could multiple very quickly. It is also possible that the taxpayer gets in on the deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Angry I Was Delighted About This Until Opponents Started Blabbering:

I don't care if the High Speed Rail is funded by tax dollars or not. If there was zero possibility that the HSR is funded by tax dollars, then you opponents would find some other excuse to be against High Speed Rail, or just rail in general, or public transportation in general.

I hope the high speed rail lines are built. I would ride it and many others would ride it. Japan had recognized Texas for this potential and people will move to Texas because of the High Speed Rail. You will hate the transplants as much as you hate the High Speed Rail. But we will be here, we will ride the commuter lines, so deal with it.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:20 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I don't care if the High Speed Rail is funded by tax dollars or not. If there was zero possibility that the HSR is funded by tax dollars, then you opponents would find some other excuse to be against High Speed Rail, or just rail in general, or public transportation in general.

I hope the high speed rail lines are built. I would ride it and many others would ride it. Japan had recognized Texas for this potential and people will move to Texas because of the High Speed Rail. You will hate the transplants as much as you hate the High Speed Rail. But we will be here, we will ride the commuter lines, so deal with it.

That's insane saying you don't care about how much tax dollars are spent on any project. I do not oppose Texas HSR but I am cautious of any plan that claims it is 100% privately funded but brings out mayors and other former office holders to endorse it. Plus the plan I'm familiar with seems very North Texas centric so I would be very cautious every step of the way.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
That's insane saying you don't care about how much tax dollars are spent on any project. I do not oppose Texas HSR but I am cautious of any plan that claims it is 100% privately funded but brings out mayors and other former office holders to endorse it. Plus the plan I'm familiar with seems very North Texas centric so I would be very cautious every step of the way.
What's so north Texas centric about it? Isnt the former judge who is one of the big proponents of it from Houston?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What's so north Texas centric about it? Isnt the former judge who is one of the big proponents of it from Houston?

They are HQ'ed in DFW and most of the talk of future extensions emanate from DFW, whereas Houston has this one line that terminates short of downtown.

Yes there is a former Harris county commissioner but so what,? for all we know he's just window dressing himself. Of course if this is all private for profit, and no public funds are ever used, then my opinion is moot.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
They are HQ'ed in DFW and most of the talk of future extensions emanate from DFW, whereas Houston has this one line that terminates short of downtown.

Yes there is a former Harris county commissioner but so what,? for all we know he's just window dressing himself. Of course if this is all private for profit, and no public funds are ever used, then my opinion is moot.
Oh, I didn't realize there were talks of future extensions. I guess I see the north Texas biasm.. They seem more insistent on making it to downtown Dallas. Though they released some schematics for possible station locations and 2 were in south Dallas. Here are the Houston and Dallas station location possibilities.

http://oscarmail.net/photos/20141021...ouston_800.jpg

http://oscarmail.net/photos/20141021_hsr_6396_800.jpg

Last edited by TexasTallest; 10-25-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 11:46 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
... people will move to Texas because of the High Speed Rail. You will hate the transplants as much as you hate the High Speed Rail. But we will be here, we will ride the commuter lines, so deal with it.
Best argument against it so far.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Oh, I didn't realize there were talks of future extensions. I guess I see the north Texas biasm.. They seem more insistent on making it to downtown Dallas. Though they released some schematics for possible station locations and 2 were in south Dallas. Here are the Houston and Dallas station location possibilities.

http://oscarmail.net/photos/20141021...ouston_800.jpg

http://oscarmail.net/photos/20141021_hsr_6396_800.jpg
Those proposals actually look pretty good. I guess they have totally abandoned the I-45 corridor for this project in favor of a route that passes through College Station which will bring the HSR line into Houston from the northwest.. Downtown of bust! and I'll be ok with it...

Old 10-26-2014, 07:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
As a Texan, who still has property in Texas, this is an absolute waste of money. You ca. Jump an airplane between Houston/DFW and be there in 45 minutes. Invariably,it will cost more, deliver less, and the state will be on the hook for losses and maintenance.

None of the light rail systems serving the Texas metro areas cover the expenses with fares. Do you really expect this to pay for itself? If you do, there is the Tooth Fairy, etc.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 PM

298 posts, read 416,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
As a Texan, who still has property in Texas, this is an absolute waste of money. You ca. Jump an airplane between Houston/DFW and be there in 45 minutes. Invariably,it will cost more, deliver less, and the state will be on the hook for losses and maintenance.

None of the light rail systems serving the Texas metro areas cover the expenses with fares. Do you really expect this to pay for itself? If you do, there is the Tooth Fairy, etc.
Lol how will the state be on the hook for losses when they aren't paying for it?

There is so much ignorance in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas